Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Car sick with Air Suspension ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sbarnham

Australia 
Car sick with Air Suspension ?

As we get close to finalising our decision, our dealer lent us an SE for half a day and we did a good run down to Wollongong through Royal National Park and the coast road, then back via the expressway.

We found the seats comfortable (which we were worried about), we began to get used to the headrests by adjusting the seat back, and the auto gearbox is growing on us (coming from 10yrs of manual cars). It is a sensation auto, we just don't like autos.

The only concern was we all got a little queasy on from the bodyroll of the air suspension.

Anyone else found this a problem ?

Bye,
Scott

Post #2300702nd Dec 2007 9:29 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Car Sick

When we were evaluating our next 4wd we seriously tested the new Prado D4D GXL and an SE TDV6 Disco. My wife got quite car sick in the Prado and this was one of the reasons that turned us off it. The following weekend we took the Disco on exactly the same route with absolutely no issues recar sickness. Car is upremely comfortable - a very strong factor in the purchase decision as my wife has some serious back problems.

Now, having purchased and with 1500Km (only) on the clock, we have found the new vehicle to be even better the 2 year old loaner we tested. Body roll w air suspension is far less than any other 4WD I've driven.

Good Luck.
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #2300762nd Dec 2007 10:08 am
White Disco

Australia 

SWMBO & TTTTTMBO got sick in the D3 on their first mountain trip, with winding roads. After a few trips the sickness was not an issue. We put it down to anticipating, in your mind, the body roll of the upcoming corner and the D3 behaving differently to the patrol I owned previously.

Sit back, relax and enjoy is how SWMBO got over it.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2300852nd Dec 2007 11:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have suffered with motion sickness all my life, (inner ear problem).
It is so bad that even when I am driving some vehicles I feel sick Exclamation
The D3 is the first vehicle that I can even travel as a passenger and not have any problems Smile Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #2301932nd Dec 2007 9:00 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It may be a matter of getting used to the new ride or it could be its characteristics are incompatible with you?
This is not a general problem with the vehicle.
Tell the dealer this is your concern and need to drive for a week to make sure it will not be an issue.
PAG have some long term loaners you could ask them to see what they can do.
We were given a loaner for ten days whilst we waited for ours to arrive; it's worth a try if you are concerned. Idea Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2302022nd Dec 2007 9:47 pm
stewmair

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Was the carsickening SE pre 2006 without suspension update? The difference with the later suspension allowed us to buy our beaut SE. stewart

Post #2302873rd Dec 2007 5:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

...Have a very car sick prone wife and kids....so far no problem in the D3. The air suspension does some funny wobbles occassionally but they don't seem to induce nausea Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2303023rd Dec 2007 8:13 am
Jamo

Australia 

I only ever felt queasy once. That was way back when I had total compressor failure and she floated up and down all the way to the dealer.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2303763rd Dec 2007 1:16 pm
MJC73

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

We've had no car sickness issues - as an aside on the way back from Noosa the other day I was watching the a bloke in a new commodore infront of me and it was amazing how much his head was it was bobbling around compared to us in the Disco - I asume thats what causes car sickness the constant movement of the fluid in the inner ear.

Post #2305944th Dec 2007 3:11 am
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

The Doctor is in:

Quote:
I asume thats what causes car sickness the constant movement of the fluid in the inner ear.

AND other sensory inputs (eyes, muscles etc) telling you something different causing brain to have confusing inputs and therefore 'dysequilibrium'.
Vertigo is different (sensation of spinning) BUT can be caused by 'sediment' in inner ear canals (being heavier than the fluid and therefore having greater momentum) continueing to activate the sensory hairs despite the fluid having stopped moving hence causing a sensation of spinning.

Doctor is out....that will be $49 (NO GST on medical services!!) ....OOPS that was under the Liberals, now it's a labour Government I need to add wholesale tax, fuel tax, 4x4 tax....lets call it a round $100 ok?
 regards
Peter

Post #2305974th Dec 2007 5:07 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

pbhawkin wrote:
The Doctor is in:

[Doctor is out....that will be $49 (NO GST on medical services!!) ....OOPS that was under the Liberals, now it's a labour Government I need to add wholesale tax, fuel tax, 4x4 tax....lets call it a round $100 ok?

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2305994th Dec 2007 5:24 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Now now,
It will take weeks for them to stuff it up Banging Head

Post #2306044th Dec 2007 6:16 am
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I had this problem in My D2 with Air on the back - SWMBO was dreadfully queasy for a few weeks, and it nearly wnet back under the LR approved used 30 day limit, but she got use to it and was fine in about 6 weeks! (only really wnet in the car once a week).

Stick with it, and you all get used to it.
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #2306164th Dec 2007 9:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >