DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Moderate Trips around Sydney
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Moderate Trips around Sydney

I have been asked by a friend of a friend to take them 4 wheel driving. The only experience the other driver has is getting stuck at Boat Harbour and being towed out at night ($800). He owns a RR Sport with low profile tyres (not a good start)

Was thinking of doing something like the Bridle Track or Sunny Corner which would give him some water crossings and a bit of rough road, but a little worried about the shale which can rip out the sidewall.

Maybe Deua would be better alternative, but have not done that one myself.

Any suggestions??
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #27668624th Mar 2008 1:30 am
WhiteD3

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Wayne,

Ask the question here, I'm sure you'll get lot's of suugestions.

http://www.aulro.com

Post #27669124th Mar 2008 2:28 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Wayne, as WhiteD3 posted, go to AULRO and see if Ace is around.

He’s up the way you want to go so he could probably give you some good ideas plus he may be able to act as guide.

If you get on to him, ask about some of the tracks around Zig Zag, at Lithgow.

Cheers.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #27669424th Mar 2008 3:34 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Caves to caves? Jenolan to Wombyan via Kowmung and Limeburners.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27669524th Mar 2008 4:08 am
WayneD

looked at caves to caves but do you think that it would be too much driving for one weekend? Would not mind doing that trip myself.

Thanks guys will also check out AULRO
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #27669624th Mar 2008 5:24 am
caverD3

I have done it in a day! Shocked
That was too much driving. Whistle
A weekend should not be a problem. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27669724th Mar 2008 5:32 am
WayneD

Thanks everyone.

Think I will do caves to caves as this should also make it interesting for the passengers who are 4x4 drivers
Post #27670024th Mar 2008 7:48 am
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Wayne.
Bridal Track is a great track with good scenery, some river crossings, lots of places to camp and ends up at Hill End. There is nothing too hard in this track , it was the first trip when my D3 was new ,good to get a handel on how the vechle handels without getting into trouble.
Hill End is a good old gold mining town to explore. Sofala is also quaint and worth exploring.
Also on the Bridal Track there are plenty of tracks off to the side , some require crossing the Turon River which is usually easy to cross, alwayse check depth first, if you get your nads wet it may be too deep Shocked Rember LR recomend 700 mm max depth and if flowing fast less depth.

Rob

Post #27706925th Mar 2008 8:37 am
caverD3

Rob Bruce wrote:
Remember LR recomend 700 mm max depth and if flowing fast less depth.

Rob

and if flowing from right it will be higher and could be a problem (backs up against side and rises above air intake) mine went into engine safe mode and idled out on the Kowmung crossing before they dozed it. Shocked
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #27707025th Mar 2008 8:43 am
WayneD

Rob
Have done the Bridle Track a couple of times, once in a falcon ute and scrubbed out two tyres. I think it will come down to whether the other guys are happy to camp and put up with my cooking or want to stay in a pub.

The pub a Sofala is a great place. Have stayed there a couple of times, it really jumps on dole week, but we are talking very basic. Hill End should also look pretty good at this time of year.
Post #27744525th Mar 2008 11:14 pm
jhall

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

A couple of other ideas.

The run down the 6 foot track to the Cox's river, through Jenolan State Forest is a nice easy run. It also has a few more interesting tracks nearby if the mood takes you.

If you are going up to Hill End, the run from Sofala back to Sunny Corner is easy, but a nice drive.

There is a good run from Sunny Corner to Capertee in the Boiling Billy book. There is one difficult hill on this run (unless its been graded since I was last through) which I wouldn't take a RR Sport up with standard wheels, but there is a detour.

The other option is a day up on Newnes Plateau. There are lots of easy tracks up there and some great scenery too.

Cheers,
Jon

Post #27757326th Mar 2008 10:20 am
WayneD

Thanks Jon,
have worked out a real good compromise. have a mate who has a couple of days off next week so thought I would do the caves to caves as a reccy. This gives me the opportunity to get away for another trip, any excuse. Laughing

Just shows the opportunities we have around Sydney for a great couple of days. Have got the boiling billy book and will follow the route from that book.
Post #27800827th Mar 2008 2:11 am
Craig S

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Wayne,

Get hold of the following title, its available in most book stores.

4WD Treks
Close to Sydney

by

Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage.

In it you'll find several treks and a rating standard. I've done several and most are moderate to easy and some even suitable for 2WD's. Being new to 4WD'ind in the Sydney region and for the moment I do not wish to attempt serious 4WD trails I've found this book a great source of information.

Craig S.

Post #27807227th Mar 2008 10:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WayneD

have that book and that is the one I will be following. Actually met both Craig and Cathy last month, a very interesting couple.

Having done a fair bit of 4 wheel driving myself I am not too worried about the D3, but as the other driver is new to 4x4 and driving a RR Sport. I am a little cautious about him. Dont want to spend the weekend dragging him out of situations. But will probably gain a bit more experience changing tyres if his low profile tyres perform as I expect.
Post #27852628th Mar 2008 12:18 am
Zilch

Australia 

WayneD wrote:
Dont want to spend the weekend dragging him out of situations. But will probably gain a bit more experience changing tyres if his low profile tyres perform as I expect.

If he has the stock standard Conti's cross contacts they will do more than people realise, and i have used these off quite comfortably off road in my sport. You will be surprised how good the Sport is off road, it shares common running and TR systems so as capable as the D3.

If you want to know the low down, ask VA who regularly pulls D3's out of sticky situations with his sport Whistle

Cheers

Jim

p.s. the TR system makes both the D3 and Sport relatively easy for the novice
 another Pommie from the darkside

MY20 Defender P400 SE
MY103 RR Sport TDv6 

Post #27857828th Mar 2008 9:36 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >