Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Faults after Weardale
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Faults after Weardale

I have had my Discovery now for 17 months and it's been rarely used off road. So apart from having some fun at Weardale, I wanted to see if everything worked ok when it was off road.

1) Amber Park Brake fault, although it works fine, it comes on when you release the park brake. Not on initial lamp check.

2) Steering knock, seems only to be in off road suspension mode, but there seems to be no "play" in it.

3) HDC Fault System Not Available. During the day I tried the HDC, and it did not work once.

4) Now during dash lamp check, I get Amber "Adaptive front lighting system fault" this stays on for a short while and then goes off, and the Amber park brake light comes on.

It's a bit annoying and strange as it's really going like a dream at the minute.

As "knowledge is Power" any thoughts, before I book it in at the dealer.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #16085223rd May 2007 5:32 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

its the newness canot be anything very series park brake may be a bit of muck in the drum, steering just want a dollop of grease on the stops all that can be done reboot Question you did not do any thin that it could not do i am sure others will be a long soon Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #16088023rd May 2007 6:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chesters

Booked in for a week on Monday any more advice?
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #16158725th May 2007 7:39 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Don't tell them all these problems started after you went off road. Unless you know your dealer wont mind. I have been told of the HDC fault being displayed a few times at Boughrood, but the system has always worked even with the fault shown. I/we just put it down to character.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #16159125th May 2007 7:46 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Chesters, ref the amber PB warning, and the HDC fault. I am told that it is very likely to be the speed sensor on the back of the gearbox. It can get a bad connection, and water can induce the faults you mention.

I am sure there is a procedure to go through regarding gear selections, and the gear numbers displaying slowly on the instrument cluster to confirm this? I am sure someone who knows better than me will be along soon Wink

Knocking steering! I have had a new rack and column and front wishbones. Now its cured, however I am not sure which of the above caused it. I suspect the wishbones.

Post #16159425th May 2007 7:49 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

more likely to be a wheel speed sensor caked in muck - if the quarry had a fair bit of iron content this can block out the wheel sensor signal. IF you're also getting a slow indication of selected gear, it's possible to recalibrate the gear selection indicator switch...
Start the vehicle, drive in reverse until the 'R' indicator displays, then drive in all gears (without switching the engine off) waiting until the selected gear is indicated before changing up a gear all the way up to 6th gear. this can be done in low ration if distance is limited. stop, switch off and remove the key - wait until the park brake indicator lamp goes out and all will be fine Wink

If you have an auto box, once the reverse gear is recognised, use command shift to manually select the gears.
problems with the speed sensor above the rear output shaft on the transfer box usually also cause suspension errors.

Post #16163325th May 2007 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep i had a few of them suspension errors but cleared them could have been lots of iron dust about mixed with the water.
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #16164025th May 2007 10:22 pm
chesters

10forcash wrote:
Start the vehicle, drive in reverse until the 'R' indicator displays, then drive in all gears (without switching the engine off) waiting until the selected gear is indicated before changing up a gear all the way up to 6th gear. this can be done in low ration if distance is limited. stop, switch off and remove the key - wait until the park brake indicator lamp goes out and all will be fine

Thanks 10forcash, I have just done what you said and everything seems to be fine. This site and it's members never cease to amaze me.
Bow down
Post #16214728th May 2007 3:25 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Can you get an auto into 6th in Com Shift low? Mine will in Auto mode but only upto 5th in Com Shift Question
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #16214928th May 2007 3:32 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

No, but Chesters is a manual tranny.

Post #16216628th May 2007 4:30 pm
DiscoStu

England 

chesters wrote:
This site and it's members never cease to amaze me Bow down

And then Gareth goes and says

Gareth wrote:
Chesters is a manual tranny.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling with laughter
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #16216928th May 2007 4:37 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #16217328th May 2007 4:52 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

So, the big question is, Manual, or Auto Tranny - Which do you prefer Rolling with laughter

Post #16217528th May 2007 5:05 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #16217728th May 2007 5:40 pm
chesters

So I'm a manual tranny, live and let live, don't knock it till you've tried it! Shocked
Post #16219328th May 2007 7:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >