Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Mud Flaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Mud Flaps

My new Disco has no front mudflaps (which Ithought would be standard). Whilst it looks good without them, I'm concerned about the potential for a lot of stone chipping up the sides once I start getting it off road (it's only 2 wks old and still pristine). Anyone have any thoughts, experience with this?
If you've fitted after market front mudflaps, what have you used?
Cheers,
Martin
 MY08 TDV6 SE. White/Alpaca. BFG265/65/18 At's
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.
Rasta Plate. 110L LRA long-range fuel tank. 

Post #2222448th Nov 2007 12:06 pm
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

40,000km - no flaps, no chips.

Wish I could say the same about my windscreen!! Caught a big one this morning that has grown during the day to about 6" (stone from someone elses tyre, not my front tyre!! Wink )
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #2222488th Nov 2007 12:25 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You may find the plastic trim below the rear doors can be blasted in the right conditions. But you may need to do something about the rears anyway:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic9518.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2222508th Nov 2007 12:29 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I've currently got no front mudflaps as they kept breaking. I do a lot of gravel road driving and the underside of the sill trips looked like a moonscape when I took them off to put on the sliders.

Nevertheless, you couldn't see anything from the outside.

I think rear flaps are an ADR requirement but not fronts.

I've not noticed any dents/chips in the metal. Only mud/water gets splashed up further.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2222668th Nov 2007 1:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pbhawkin

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Quote:
I've not noticed any dents/chips in the metal. Only mud/water gets splashed up further

Same for me, BUT I thought if mud can get there so can stones so I bought some really cheap mud flaps from Supacheap Auto and the mounting holes (2 out of 3) line up with existing screws in the plastic wheel guards!!
They are quite flexible but will not withstand much in the way of 4wd abuse or constant pounding by gibber plain driving.
 regards
Peter

Post #2224238th Nov 2007 9:58 pm
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Check my gallery for pics of the flaps I made. I bought rubber from Clark Rubber ($60.00) and made mine up, which now can take all the bashing they can cop. They look ok as well and are attached with self tappers through the original holes plus a couple of extras.
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #22303411th Nov 2007 1:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin Krutli

Mud Flaps

Very neat job PBob. Ireckon you could go into business selling them Smile

Cheers,
Martin
Autologic, Trackside Dual Battery syst., Remote GME UHF, 4X4 Intelligence rear wheel carrier, Boab removable rear drawer system w National Luna fridge, Mitchell Bros hitch.

Post #22305011th Nov 2007 4:41 am
PBob

Martin,
If you need it, I could probably cut a paper template and post it for you. Happy not to (another job) but happy to do so if you wan't same.
Bob.
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #22305811th Nov 2007 8:51 am
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Check Slimer's gallery - Defender / Series flaps. I have just fitted a set myself (front and rear for a 110) and they certainly do the job, just need to be careful if it gets deep as they may fold under the wheel and rip off.
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #22306611th Nov 2007 9:47 am
Martin Krutli

Mud Flaps

Thanks for the generous offer PBob. Understand the challenges of trying to fit everything in!
I'll assess how the first off-road trip goes and if I think it's necessary to make some may well take you up on the offer.
Cheers,
Martin

Post #22307511th Nov 2007 10:22 am
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

After a day of driving the sand hills at Stockton Beach with 3 Disco 3's a Disco 2 and RR all 3 Disco 3's had cracked a rear mud flap Crying or Very sad . Thought I got away with it until we met a bogged Pajero on the way out and had to reverse up the track. Looks like a trip to Clarke rubber for me too! The Disc 3s performed very well and handled the climbs much easier than the 2 and RR. But the DSC is a pain in the rear as it resets after the vehicle is turned off.
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #22811226th Nov 2007 6:02 am
caverD3

n1cktdv6 wrote:
just need to be careful if it gets deep as they may fold under the wheel and rip off.

Keep hold of the old flaps you may want to do my mod. Not the prettiest but you won't have the problem described by nick. The old flap keeps the flexible rubber in the right spot and away from the wheel.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22811326th Nov 2007 6:28 am
stewmair

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mildura to Mungo, Wilcannia to Bourke, 80 km/hr on gravel, 98 on bitumen..... shredded rear flaps. Presume they're replaced undr warranty. Who'd have made them out of dense foam! My disco 1 and earlier rangies never had mudflap problems. stewart.

Post #2302913rd Dec 2007 5:54 am
PBob

Good luck on the warranty bit. Most of us have been told to bCensoredr off!

Last edited by PBob on 3rd Dec 2007 6:58 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #2302923rd Dec 2007 6:36 am
caverD3

The were made to conform to ADRs. UK ones are too small. They are a Cr Censored p design. Could try arguing that they are not fit for the purpose ( to prevent stones on unsealed roads busting other folks windsceens) not much point if the fall apart on those types of roads.
Good luck trying.
If they replace them they will have to do it often.
Maybe easier to do a mod if you travel on unsealed roads often.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #2302933rd Dec 2007 6:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >