Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Rear disc help please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
development_cycle

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Rear disc help please!

So yesterday I learned that the driver side rear caliper has been seized on, and one pad has worn to the backplate scoring the disc, yay!

So last night after partly dismantling it all to make this discovery, I announced that the car was "off the road" and this morning, very luckily my local auto factors got all the parts I needed, or thought I needed. Tonight I started the work, hence why it's 10:30 pm and I've not got very far, and unfortunately have hit a brick wall.

So after following the instructions in the bible to put the parking brake in service mode, I have removed the pads, caliper, and carrier from the driver side, unscrewed but not removed the torx bolt, and looked through the inspection hole to see the parking brake adjuster, but it's in the wrong position, I went to rotate the disc to get it in the correct position, but it won't move, at all. I even wedged a length of wood between the wheel studs and tried, but nothing.

I'm stuck, what have I done wrong? If I think about it I don't remember hearing anything when I put the parking brake in service mode, but then I don't think the parking brake was on anyway. I have re-read the bible and realised it doesn't say anything about what gear the car should be in. As a matter of course I always put the car in Park, and extend the suspension before jacking, is that the issue? Should it be in Neutral?

Hoping for a simple solution folks, after spending £220 today on parts and some new tools I don't really want to find out it's a garage job. Thanks

Post #18649274th Oct 2017 9:44 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In neutral, and with both rear wheels off the ground , if it still won't turn after that the park brake must still be on, or jammed on (even worse).
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #18649334th Oct 2017 9:50 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You will not turn the hub in park! Chock the front wheels, put it in neutral and hold the park brake switch down when you turn the engine off.
Putting it in park will lock the transmission up, turning the engine off without holding the switch down may apply the park brake depending on how the CCF is set up.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18649354th Oct 2017 9:56 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I'm guessing you can't rotate the disk to see the adjuster through the hole in the disk? If so, the gearshift needs to be in the neutral position and the parking brake off.
This means that it is important that the car is very stable with the wheels chocked and unable to move. Ideally you should have axle stands securely positioned under the vehicle to be able to work in a safe environment.

Post #18649364th Oct 2017 9:56 pm
development_cycle

Right, well that explains it then (I Hope), as I have it in Park. I'll add extra chocks to the front wheels before putting it into Neutral, and give it another go. I'm pretty sure I followed the procedure for jacking that's in the handbook, I know it's probably me just being a numpty but I wonder if it's worth adding to the bible about the gears being in Neutral when doing this? Just a thought.

Thanks DN

Post #18649384th Oct 2017 9:57 pm
M3DPO

Another tip: feel and look on the very outside edge of the back plate and you will find a small notch, that is where the adjuster is located Thumbs Up

Post #18649424th Oct 2017 10:00 pm
development_cycle

Thanks everyone. Well I've just finished, except I couldn't bed in the parking brake shoes with the new brakes because the battery was flat, but at least the rest is done, that's something ridiculous like 7 hours

Post #18649735th Oct 2017 4:03 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Finished at 5am. Shocked That’s a long night shift... But, good job and few pennies saved. Thumbs Up

Post #18649745th Oct 2017 4:33 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There's no need to use neutral when two wheels are off the ground - the diff will allow them to move in opposite directions. Did you only have one wheel up?

(N.B. Always remember, Park alone will not hold the vehicle with any one wheel off the ground and free to move, or with any driveshaft or propshaft disconnected.)
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #18650245th Oct 2017 8:51 am
development_cycle

Both rear wheels off the ground, but it's possible despite following the instructions to put the parking brake into service mode it was still on. I put it into neutral and replaced the fuse, put the handbrake off without the service mode and removed the fuse again.

Went to do parking brake bedding in at 04.30 to find the battery flat, charged if for an hour until the power went, fell asleep for 90 mins, woke up and went to put the battery back in the hope that it had charged enough so I could do the parking brake bedding in, due to tiredness totally forgot there was still a chock on one wheel that was wedged so I couldn't kick it out earlier, drove over it and ripped one of the tyres to shreds!

Not an enjoyable experience at all

Post #18650495th Oct 2017 10:09 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I hit the disc from behind where with a soft mallet.

This removed it a little and then taped it back on.

This was enough to loosen things up and I was able to rotate the disc to find the hole.

Post #18650845th Oct 2017 11:31 am
M3DPO

Oh! The joys of night shift, Ived had plenty of them! Sleeping is a sackable offence by the way. Sorry to hear about the mishap with the tyre. It does get easier with practice Laughing

Post #18651065th Oct 2017 12:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >