Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Upgrading base stereo on a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I don't like the look of the modern units in a D3, to me they look out of place. But certainly if someone wants one it's an easy upgrade to a base D3.

Post #185635211th Sep 2017 2:47 pm
martynv8

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a Kenwood DDX4016BT in my base spec. Gives me Bluetooth, phone, ipod etc

Post #185635511th Sep 2017 3:24 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Don't they have a little switch in the metal work somewhere, to select between amp and non amp ? or "Pemium" ?

EDIT: doesn't look like it. I know my Jag has one

Post #185643611th Sep 2017 6:03 pm
Erea

It would be brilliant if they did, but alas they don't. But it's almost impossible to tell the base unit from the hi line internally. I was expecting the base unit to have a big internal amp and the hi line to have a lot more chips etc to run all the other parts that its the brains for. Here is a pic of the two boards. I'm sure someone with a little knowledge of electronics could add an amp to the higher spec one.

Post #185646811th Sep 2017 8:01 pm
Pete K

Amp looks that thing on side in the metal possibly.

Should try plugging it in and seeing if it drives the speakers !

Post #185647511th Sep 2017 8:19 pm
JohnnyNapalm

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You would expect to see better caps for smoothing and a higher bit DAC. The output amp would also be higher spec I would expect...?
 Cheers  
Post #185648611th Sep 2017 8:57 pm
garrycol

Australia 

I guess different countries have different specs but my RRS is a base model no options (no BiXenons, no fold mirrors, no front park sensors) and the 6CD-565 is standard . The higher spec models have the Logic 7 Ice system so in D3 terms the 6CD-565 is a mid spec system as the Logic 7 Ice system is above it in the D3.

Yes it does have an amp under the seat but with appropriate cables an aftermarket amp could be used if needed - of course - I thought and I may be wrong that the amp just drove the sub in the back.

The 6CD-565 looks the same as the hi spec radio but does not have the Logic 7 functions in it.

Garry

Post #185653512th Sep 2017 1:19 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

martynv8 wrote:

that wood trim looks good next to the black Thumbs Up

may i ask i see on some upgrades where u can plug in an obd2 reader and have data displayed onto the unit , was wondering if urs was the same please

Post #185653612th Sep 2017 2:08 am
Erea

Pete K wrote:

Sorry I should have taken better pictures. The top picture is is the motherboard out or the base stereo with built in amp
Bottom one is out of the higher spec one without the built in amp. But excuse my language but I can't see any Censored amp!!!

Left hand metal objects are the plugs for all the leads from the Discovery top left one sticking out is the aerial I the same on both. The top metal box is just after the aerial so I'm guessing it's the radio tuner. Top right plug for CD player. Right hand side two plugs for the front panel.
Large AL heat sink on the bottom of both.
The only visible difference I could see is there is an extra plug not in use in the centre of the lower pic and some of the chip sets have different numbers printed on them
E

Post #185655212th Sep 2017 6:40 am
gstuart

after reading extensively on this forum have always been interested in how the basic wiring looms differ from model to model , i.e. what wires are there in the base model vs the hse

seen some fantastic upgrades where some have fitted the infoscreen ,

i would really like to fit the infoscreen to just have the 4x4 screen active , but alas know it's a very complicated upgrade that involves a lot of wiring

then fitting a double din unit for the nav , bluetooth etc

looked through many posts but never seen a picture yet of the connectors behind the radio , i.e. what is there in a base model then what's there on a HSE

admired the vast upgrades that some members have done Bow down

maybe one day i might be brave enough to take on fitting the 4x4 screen, which i also believe the D4 screen is the one to go for,

i like a challenge , one day , whistle:

Post #185655912th Sep 2017 7:07 am
martynv8

gstuart wrote:
martynv8 wrote:

that wood trim looks good next to the black Thumbs Up

may i ask i see on some upgrades where u can plug in an obd2 reader and have data displayed onto the unit , was wondering if urs was the same please

Thanks Smile
After the lashings of wood in the old P38 i'm not a fan of the grey plastic so painted gloss black with the wood wrap. Not everyones taste but i like it.
Good question about the obd2. I dont yet have any diagnostics iid etc yet so not sure what connectivity these have. I assume it's just the obd2 connector but the Kenwood has usb connections & compatible with android systems etc so may be possible?
Wanting to add the controls to my steering wheel & hoping the stereo controls will work with this system as there is a function to program these on the unit. Knowing my luck it's not going to be straight forward though.

Post #185656412th Sep 2017 7:12 am
gstuart

Thanks
After the lashings of wood in the old P38 i'm not a fan of the grey plastic so painted gloss black with the wood wrap. Not everyones taste but i like it.
Good question about the obd2. I dont yet have any diagnostics iid etc yet so not sure what connectivity these have. I assume it's just the obd2 connector but the Kenwood has usb connections & compatible with android systems etc so may be possible?
Wanting to add the controls to my steering wheel & hoping the stereo controls will work with this system as there is a function to program these on the unit. Knowing my luck it's not going to be straight forward though.

hi , many thks for the reply

seeing that wood reminds me of the triumphs i useto own , vitesse , 2500 t/c

this is one of the items i've looked at , but still haven't made my mind up, Whistle

http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/pumpkin-7-inc...utput.html

this one has the facility to use an obd2 , so u can display data on the screen, yet be it very basic,

did treat myself to the iid and must admit has been a godsend , paid for itself time and again , is good that i don't have to rely on a garage

think that's always good fun when adding a non oem radio regarding the steering wheel controls , know when i fitted an aftermarket radio on other landies it always fun trying to find the correct conversion loom so the steering wheel controls contuniue to work Laughing

may i ask what screen is that ur using please

Post #185657512th Sep 2017 7:42 am
martynv8

That looks good.
Have tried to search for steering wheel functions for the Kenwood but cant seem to find anything on this unit? There is a function for programming the button functions within the set up but suppose it depends on the signals received etc.
The other screen for the reverse camera is actually the sat nav screen - ALPINE NVE-N099P. I just fitted the rear camera into one of the number plate light housings & connected into the sat nav drive Aux1. Then i just turn the screen to AUX1 & screen comes on when reverse selected (wired into reverse lights). Touch the screen & sat nav comes on & vice versa. Had to cut a little of the dash out at the bottom to make it as close a factory fit as possible ut looks very tidy now.
I'm suprised how easy it is to upgrade the base spec models TBH.

Post #185662312th Sep 2017 9:25 am
Pete K

Erea wrote:
Pete K wrote:

Sorry I should have taken better pictures. The top picture is is the motherboard out or the base stereo with built in amp
Bottom one is out of the higher spec one without the built in amp. But excuse my language but I can't see any Censored amp!!!

Left hand metal objects are the plugs for all the leads from the Discovery top left one sticking out is the aerial I the same on both. The top metal box is just after the aerial so I'm guessing it's the radio tuner. Top right plug for CD player. Right hand side two plugs for the front panel.
Large AL heat sink on the bottom of both.
The only visible difference I could see is there is an extra plug not in use in the centre of the lower pic and some of the chip sets have different numbers printed on them
E

Sorry, I thought the amp was the metal thing at the BOTTOM of your PICTURE.
(side when in the car)

The RRS has a further variant (on diesel models). Harmen Karden with amp under the seat but NOT logic7. (has less speakers for starters)
The petrol RRS were the only ones to get logic7, so that is one way a D3 HSE is better spec!

Post #185686112th Sep 2017 6:35 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Like this beastie?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #185688712th Sep 2017 7:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >