Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

What tyre! Road/sand/rocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shirt

United Arab Emirates 2009 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
What tyre! Road/sand/rocks

Picked up a set of compomotive 18x8 wheels for my lr3 v8 and now looking for tyre recommendations. The car will primarily be used on road with weekend forays through the desert and wadi trails.

The seller gave me a set of Jonson rods with the wheels so I gather I can go big, but do I neccesarily need to? I've read here that using 275/75 MTs neccesitates mods to the arches and rerouting the rear a/c pipes which I would prefer to avoid. Basically looking for the tallest tyre possible with rods but no body mods and as low road noise as possible.

Was looking at cooper at3s as a colleague has them on his lr4 and says they're not that much noisier than stock. All other suggestions welcome

Post #185166127th Aug 2017 12:40 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

For all of these IMHO don't go aggressive tread. Noisy on the road, no advantage on rock and just dig you in when on sand.

Road tyres:

Click image to enlarge

AT tyres:

Click image to enlarge

Post #185166427th Aug 2017 12:45 pm
shirt

What would you suggest?

Managed some light trails on the oem 19s but also got completely stuck on the beach (!) one weekend and had to drop to 5psi to get out.....

The guy with the lr4 sold me the wheels (he's going to the dark side having bought a wrangler) and reckoned the coopers weren't so great in the sand but noticeably improved over road tyres in the wadis. I'm wanting to do more camping/exploring than dune bashing so this is the preference.

Read good things about Goodyear silent armour but don't think I can get them here

Post #185166627th Aug 2017 1:06 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Re pressures, yes on sand you have to drop the pressures. On standard pressures you will get stuck. ISTR we had ours at 18psi, one chap had Kuhmo MUDs (he knows who he is here) had to have his at 12psi and was still getting stuck, and seemed to enjoy getting stuck. He was very good at it. Laughing Laughing

No idea what is best now, I was on big standard road Continental 4x4 contact road tyres. I loved the way they went blue with the scrubbing from the sand. Thumbs Up

Post #185169127th Aug 2017 3:52 pm
D&G

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

I'm suprised at that in sand but I suppose if you think about it the more aggressive the tyre the more it digs in.

I took a hire car Suzuki Vitara mile's over the dunes and only got stuck once and that was on road tyres.

ATs in mud though Question
 An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” ― Millard Fillmore

2006 Disco 3
Gas Gas 300ec / Gas Gas tx249 / Bandit 1250
XR 650r / Pajero 2.8 Lifted and Safari Snorkel-gone. 

Post #185170227th Aug 2017 4:51 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

The above mentioned driver on one of the Tunisian trips was the only one of us that got stuck going downhill. He then floored it and within 5 seconds had the chassis resting on the sand. On my first trip, again on road tyres, we pulled off the road en route to out first o/night and all the AT and MT tyres ripped up the sand, mine bearly left a mark. On the second trip I only got stuck twice, once in really extreme conditions and 2nd time coz I switched my brain off and stopped in the wrong place.

Great fun and fantastic trips that I'll never forget, but from a less troubled times. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #185170527th Aug 2017 5:00 pm
D&G

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

It looks some trip 8)

That pic is just brilliant.
 An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory.” ― Millard Fillmore

2006 Disco 3
Gas Gas 300ec / Gas Gas tx249 / Bandit 1250
XR 650r / Pajero 2.8 Lifted and Safari Snorkel-gone. 

Post #185171527th Aug 2017 5:18 pm
shirt

My point re. Pressures was more to do with it airing down from road to 5psi on an alarmingly short time. The oem 19s just don't allow enough flexibility for proper adventuring. Looking at your photos you had way more sidewall to play with.

My old jeep had 33in MTs and could go down to 8psi with bead lockers and go literally anywhere, but the thick sidewall made them splay awkwardly and more laterally than along the length of the tread. That thing went more by dint of excess power and light weight, the disco is the exact opposite.

To rephrase my question then, what's the tallest tyre I can get away with on Jonson rods but no other mods whatsoever? In that tyre size what would quiet onroad but tough enough to take through gravel/rock trails? I think such a tyre would Be a good compromise on sand.

Tunisia pics look good. Here's me the week after I bought the lr3. It was confident enough on gatch tracks but less so when going through virgin sand.

This last one is the most capable sand buggy I've seen. Weighs naff all, powered by a 4hp motor with variable pitch prop and rides on velvet covered inner tubes. Mental

Post #185176027th Aug 2017 8:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >