Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Help!!! Which one to buy! Help MUCH appreciated!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
itstime222

United Kingdom 
Help!!! Which one to buy! Help MUCH appreciated!

Afternoon,

So I have found myself in a bit of a situation! I am upgrading to an LR3 from my existing shameful car - with the aim of mainly using it as family car - but also towing - and will need the full 3.5t capability! However I have found 2 cars which have plenty of good / bad things but cant decide! REALLY need help!!

Both cars are the TDV6 Auto models.

On one hand there is an HSE. Pros are it has the upgraded TV Media pack in the back. So TV's in the headrests. Everything works as it should, full LR Service History, belts changed recently, 12 months mot, suspension strut changed (not compressor), very good condition, has all the HSE refinements like the sunroofs and extra aircon at back etc. Its a 2008, and has done 105k.

Negatives are the susp compressor hasn't been changed, no tow bar, and the person selling has not much knowledge and has only owned for 1 year. Also only 1 hour from me so no shipping.

On the other hand is a 2009 SE with the additional sat nav upgrade and fridge thingy. Positives are its £600 cheaper, newer, and less miles at 96k. Looks in fantastic condition in and out apart from one very small dent. The chap selling seems very genuine and is later on in life. It has tow bar fitted and its had a recall done on it. Has been serviced regularly at dealers and no expense spared. LAst 3 years has had new compressor, new turbo, new tyres and a few other bits.

Negative is it hasn't had the belts changed yet, and is a lower spec. Its also a bit away so shipping would run me £150.

What do I do?? Im stuck in the middle on this! Can you buy the TV head rests as an add on off the shelf? My son has his heart set on those - no way to make up your mind where the money goes though!

Might also be worth mentioning that the HSE has had 4 owners and she has only had it a year - whereas the SE the chap bought from a dealership and he has had for 4 years. 2 owner car.
Any help really would be MUCH appreciated!

Post #184715414th Aug 2017 2:05 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you physically seen both of them, the fact that you need to get one shipped suggests that you are considering buying with out seeing it in the flesh? Often things become apparent and you get a feel for how the car has been treated when you see it, much more than you ever can from photographs and words over the phone.

You are buying an 8/9 year old car that is known to be complex and expensive to maintain. Personally I wouldn't even consider buying without having seen both in the flesh and given them a good looking over.

Of the two, people rarely get rid of a car becuase it's a good un. People often get rid becuase it's a bad un. 4 owners in 9 years isn't a lot but it's double what the 8 year old SE has had..........

If expensive things start to go wrong, rear seat entertainment will be the last thing on your mind; choose carefully and wisely Thumbs Up

Post #184716114th Aug 2017 2:42 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Difference in mileage is not huge, belts would cost about £500. You have to see before buying - maybe ask on here if anyone local to it can accompany you for another opinion?

Post #184716614th Aug 2017 2:53 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As discoteca says you should see the cars in the flesh.

For me it's a no brainer, with the limited info provided I would deffo go for the 2009 SE.

No rear aircon pipes to corrode out.
No troublesome sunroofs to leak which causes electrical issues.
Should have the later type oil pump that shouldn't break and ruin the engine.
Lower mileage hopefully catch the autobox and torque convertor in time with a gearbox flush ( not to say the 2008 HSE has a knackered box, it could be fine)

Your son will get over it! Laughing
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #184716814th Aug 2017 3:01 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

My first was an early 2005 D3 SE, cracking car.
Only issues I had was suspension compressor burnt out (early models like mine had a software issue that meant it ran all the time), leak in the A/c (from new - apparently an O ring was missing) and a dodgy EGR valve.

Last time I looked on the MOT website it was still going strong with 170K on the clock

Post #184716914th Aug 2017 3:07 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Hmmmm I have to say it sounds like the SE is the way forwards. The other thing is the chap selling the SE isn't at all flexible on the price, he clearly knows what it's worth and also what he's spent / put into it.

Whilst the HSE has come down already and I suspect would do further.. the turbo and the compressor replaced on the SE as well as a tow bar - but the HSE has had the belts done However it hasn't been serviced for a year so that will need doing.

The HSE is close enough to go see though - the SE is 4 hours away..

Post #184717314th Aug 2017 3:17 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I think you need to travel to get the right one.... Thumbs Up

Where is it?

Post #184717514th Aug 2017 3:20 pm
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's a big purchase so I would still travel to see it. I have travelled further to find the right vehicle.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #184717714th Aug 2017 3:22 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Go and see the local one then you have a benchmark to work from.

I bought mine solely as it was for sale 2 miles from my house, I hate travelling to see cars.

Just because someone has owned something for a long time doesnt make it better, could be the snag list has got to long and now its time to bin it whilst everything is still working.

Why not put up a little more accurately where you are based (not dead accurate obviously) and an approx budget and I bet someone on here can find you something a lot closer, there are after all loads of the things for sale.

Post #184718814th Aug 2017 4:53 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Have you looked at the FS section on here?

Post #184719214th Aug 2017 5:08 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When I purchased my first D3 (a 2005 in 2010) I looked at about 10 just to get a feel for what my money would buy and to get a feel for the vehicles. Even back then there was some real tat around that didn't look anything like as good as they had been described/photographed. Don't rush this, you will regret it.

Post #184724414th Aug 2017 8:04 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Hi everyone - really appreciate your input. And on the back of it have arranged to go see the HSE tomorrow so will see how that goes. Both sellers seems very genuine and very keen for me to go see them - so that cant be a bad thing!

What im basically looking for is a TDV6, ideally sub 100k but as low as poss, as new as poss (starting to look like a wish list) and HSE would be great but would happily buy an SE. Needs to have fsh ideally with lr and have had most of the known things sorted, so belts, compressor etc.

Budget wise - when I started this search I was thinking of circa 8-9k but I think it was wishful thinking. Would go up to 10k or maybe very slightly over for the right car..

If anyone does have to time or inclination to have a quick look that really would be MUCH appreciated. Ive looked at the obvious, ebay, auto trader, etc Smile Good point though haven't looked at gumtree or Sphshsskshishock or whatever its called!

Will look there now too..

Post #184739615th Aug 2017 9:52 am
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

2007/2008 has oil pump issues, especially after changing belts. Search on here for oil pump failures. Check the VIN to see if the one you are buying falls in the range.

Your son can watch his iPad/Android rather than have something else to go wrong.

Dont get me wrong, I REALLY like my HSE but I had different criteria than you. Also check what is for sale on the forum too. Thumbs Up
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #184744315th Aug 2017 11:55 am
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Ah okay so ill try and get the vin number tomorrow so I can run it and see. Good advice Smile Have had a brief look on the selling page on here, but will def revisit now.

Problem with buying a car is you just know that its probably the thing in life that the rule applies the most 'if it sounds too good to be true, it is'!

Post #184744715th Aug 2017 12:08 pm
itstime222

United Kingdom 

Skynet wrote:
2007/2008 has oil pump issues, especially after changing belts. Search on here for oil pump failures. Check the VIN to see if the one you are buying falls in the range.

Your son can watch his iPad/Android rather than have something else to go wrong.

Dont get me wrong, I REALLY like my HSE but I had different criteria than you. Also check what is for sale on the forum too. Thumbs Up

Hey so im going to see this car tomorrow - the thing you mention - the oil pump issues is that the same as the oil pump cover? It has been mentioned to me that it has to be the new kind and its very important to check that.

Any ideas how I can check it? Sad Or is that another vin number thing? And where is the VIN number on the LR3?

Thanks again.

Post #184752815th Aug 2017 3:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >