DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
D4 Woes

Hi All,

Been a while since I've been on due to change job and vehicle ownership but having replaced the D3 for a D4 I was pleasantly surpdised with the D4 experience...until the weekend past! Sitting happily on the A68 on route to the Borders for the weekend, car goes bang at 60MPH and then starts vibrating heavily with an accompanying loud knock from the engine. Fortunately managed to coast into a layby with the engine still running but switched off immediately.

Visual inspection in layby showed nothing obviously amiss i.e. no fluids leaking etc. from below. Was expecting signs of oil being dumped out but surprisingly not?

Being a Used Approved vehicle from LR with a 2 year warranty, I immediately called LR Assist,who to be fair so far, have been great. Myself, wife and kids all bundled into AA recovery wagon within 90 mins with Disco on the back, dropped at our intended destination and car then recovered to Taggarts LR in Glasgow. 1 Hour later, Thrifty arrive with a new D5 HSE as a replacement so not too shabby!

Heard back from Taggarts earlier that metal has been found in Oil Filter and warranty company want them to drop sump to ascertain any further debris before authorising a new engine.

I presume this indicates another issue with the crank/bearings etc. but not 100%? Hopefully there should be no issues and we will get repaired under warranty but I'd be interested to hear from others who might have been in a similar situation if there is anything I should be asking LR to do/check/provide and/or any issues that I may encounter that I haven't forseen.

I realise the question is a bit vague but any advice would be appreciated as I'm away at the moment and dealing with this remotely and don't want the wool pulled over my eyes.

I'll post further updates as I find out more but for now, I'll just need to sit and be jealous of SWMBO driving about in a new D5 Evil or Very Mad

Post #18457629th Aug 2017 9:55 pm
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
christ alive!

so another one gone then - glad you had LR assist and warranty Bow down Thumbs Up

What was the mileage when it went pop?
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #18457729th Aug 2017 10:25 pm
Jakeboy

Think it was around 38,000 mls! Question

An OAP in D4 terms Laughing

Post #18457759th Aug 2017 10:30 pm
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

OMG!

I need to get some warranty for my 63 Plate 34K D4 then - only got 4K till it goes bang Thud Big Cry
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #18457769th Aug 2017 10:33 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a crank / bearing failure cause instant and total engine seisure?

That doesn't appear to be the case here.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #18457809th Aug 2017 10:43 pm
Discofixer

England 

Every one we have seen has still run albeit noisily got 3 waiting for new engines at the moment

Post #18457849th Aug 2017 10:55 pm
Jakeboy

That's what I thought too but to be fair, I'm only assuming it is something along these lines at the moment, based on symptoms at the time and various forum posts alluding to issues with the crank / bearings.

My initial thoughts are that the shells may have rotated and one has disintegrated through lack of lubrication, without there being a complete siezure but the oil light did come on just as I switched it off so I'm guessing siezure would have been imminent? I did wonder though, why it wasn't siezed. Of course, it may not be the crank/bearings possibly a piston or rings but I will hopefully know more tomorrow when they drop the sump.

I'm now kind of hoping it isn't something less catastrophic as I won't be comfortable with a repair on that engine, given the noise and vibration from the obvious metal on metal contact when it failed Confused

Post #18457879th Aug 2017 11:06 pm
hillbillypop

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Discofixer wrote:
Every one we have seen has still run albeit noisily got 3 waiting for new engines at the moment

This is a sad story thats becoming a series soon to be a movie
is the new engine modified to stop the shells turning? if not whats the point puting it in?
Anybody got CEO address of landrover

These cars should not be on the road as they are a danger to others I now have visions of the fast lane doing 80mph and boom! nowhere to go and a load of cars up my ass
mine is at 148k good service history and just been serviced
i am off on hols to Somerset for 2 weeks and have decided to leave big ugly at home and go in our SX4 who just scoots along nicely.
up at 4am for ferry nite nite
will

Post #18457989th Aug 2017 11:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Jakeboy wrote:
Think it was around 38,000 mls! Question

That is truely shocking!

Post #184581910th Aug 2017 6:47 am
Bigcol66

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Is it a certain age of D4 which the engines are failing?

Post #184610810th Aug 2017 9:48 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Seems to be across the board, from early to relatively new, one here 18 month old.

Post #184610910th Aug 2017 9:52 pm
andy526rt

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

****!!!

Having ownership of a 2005 Porsche Boxster (my mid life crisis birthday present to myself when I turned 40 quite a few years ago, with potential dreaded IMS failure ever looming), I'd hoped that I wouldn't have to put up this on a 2015 plate LR4 bought from a main dealer, but I now find myself wondering i should just accept that I'll now need to pay out 000's in extended warranty fees....

.... is this a real common problem, or do I just accept that its less than 0.5% chance????

Post #184615511th Aug 2017 1:39 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Re warranty, it's risk (prob small but not neglegable) vs consequences (£12k for an engine?). Pays yer money or takes yer chance. Thumbs Up

Post #184616611th Aug 2017 7:40 am
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

andy526rt wrote:

do I just accept that its less than 0.5% chance????

I reckon the chance probably is that or similar.

I genuinely don't think it's something that's an inevitability, there are plenty of Disco's chugging around that have done big miles with no issues, but that's not to say that it can't happen and due to that I think anyone who owns one of these should always have a proper warranty so that they're covered 'if' it does happen, and it's not the only thing that can happen with expensive consequences, it just makes sense to be fully covered.

My last Disco was a 2010 and the crank snapped at 82k miles, my warranty didn't play ball and even if they had I was only covered up to £5k, a big mistake and lesson learned!

Post #184631811th Aug 2017 3:22 pm
Jakeboy

Update:

Just been in to talk with Service Manager who informed me that they didn't need to drop the sump as there was sufficient evidence in the oil filter, (He's promised me pics), for them to confirm a replacement engine is required. Big Cry The service tech confirmed it was a big end bearing, which initially worried me as I considered they may try to fix it but aparently not so a new engine is required.

Now the good bit - despite having the LR 2 Year used approved warranty, the warranty company have refused to cover the claim as this is a known issue with certain of these engines, with associated TSB's etc. Sad Big Cry Presumably referring to the known crank/bearings issue?

Having coaxed me down off the ceiling, he then proceeded to try to calm me down buy telling me not to worry as JLR were considering a "Goodwill contribution", to the repair bill Exclamation Exclamation

Anyway, upshot is that he then contacted somenody called FRED which I believe is an acronym for something I'm now calling the Free Replacement Engine Dept. and it has been left that hopefully, when JLR (FRED) receive a photocopy of the service book (as if they couldn't just accept their own online service records) their contribution will be 100% Question

So, a weekend of worry ahead for me until they confirm one way or the other on Monday.

On the assumption that JLR do accept responsibility, the engines are available immediately. Thumbs Up He is confident of this as he has ordered 5 already in the last two weeks, with mine being No. 6 Exclamation Exclamation Think the warranty company are not far off the mark tbh. Apparently, engine failures are like busses in these parts, none for ages then 6 come along! I asked if the replacement engine has a revised bearing arrangement and I got the err hmm eh yeah it must have - so completely at ease with that reply.

Final piece of good news is that the 2 year warranty I got with the car (and which I believe you get on all JLR parts), is not renewed for the new engine, if I get one. Exclamation

All in all, a real warm cosy feeling from my local dealer - cheers JLR Thumbs Up

Sorry for the cynical nature of the post but I'm a tad Censored off.

Will post the next exciting episode next week - off to climb into a large beer Exclamation

Post #184634211th Aug 2017 5:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >