Out of LR warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Zikzik wrote:
Robert SausageTrousers wrote:
Until your crank snaps!

From bitter experience I wouldn't entertain having one of these cars without a warranty (personally I'd only want a LR warranty too). They just have the ability to be hugely expensive if they go wrong, sure I can accept that it's a gamble that may pay off and not all Discos will have expensive problems, but having been on the receiving end of an £18k bill to get my car worth about £21k back on the road, I wouldn't take the risk!

Is the percentage known of cars sold where the crank snaps?
Just found it applies to engines built between 2009 and 2012.

I think the issue is wider than just 2009 - 2012. Possibly all engines.

When I was in for an MOT last week, the dealer has 3 in with snapped cranks. I think the newest was 2014 with about 35k on it.

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Last edited by robpenrose on 6th Aug 2017 9:19 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #18444976th Aug 2017 9:17 am
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Oh dear, I am beginning to get worried now Sad
In the past I have always changed my vehicle at the end of the manufacturers warranty but now they don't make the 'Real Discovery' any more I am considering keeping this one.
However, having read all the posts about the importance of warranties I am beginning to think Land Rover don't make vehicles to last more than the standard warranty period !!
Has anybody ever had a Discovery for any length of period beyond the three year warranty without trouble ?
I will of course be keeping to the service plan and any other regular maintenance that would be expected like brake pads/discs and tyres etc.

Post #18444986th Aug 2017 9:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Why don't you extend the warranty? You should be covered then and stress free motoring?

Would be a shame to get rid just for that reason?

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #18444996th Aug 2017 9:21 am
EMcC

Is it really necessary with a vehicle that has been owned from new and regularly serviced ?
Is it common for Discovery's to break down with serious problems after the expiry of the manufacturers warranty ?
That's the impression I get from reading some of the posts or are we talking about Discoverys that have been owned for some time.

Post #18445106th Aug 2017 9:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Like any insurance (with exception of car insurance, because you have to have it), its a gamble whether its worth the money. House contents insurance for example - i've taken it out for years, never ever made a claim, but one day we could be cleaned out by burglar or major water leak ruining loads of stuff, so I still pay it every year. Warranty is the same - if you want the peace of mind that you will not need to dip into your savings to keep your car on the road, then pay for a warranty. Personally, I prefer the to have that peace of mind, regardless of the likelihood of an expensive repair bill.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #18445586th Aug 2017 11:28 am
EMcC

There is a big difference in price between LR warranty insurance and any other insurance, a heck of a lot.
When added to the cost of normal vehicle insurance and the warranty insurance on top of that is one heck of a chunk, nowhere near my house and contents or dog insurance.
My question was tho, can one realistically expect a well maintained and not abused off road vehicle from new to start packing up after three years.

Post #18445926th Aug 2017 1:40 pm
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Yes agreed, it is a great deal more, but based on my experience, i've claimed more on it than my example of house contents insurance, therefore not surprising its more expensive.

I have a MY12, last 2 years had issues, not 'pack up' issues, didn't need roadside recovery, but stuff that needed doing (power steering fluid leak -needing the complete rack being replaced- and a suspension air leak, leading to compressor replacement), both of which would have cost me several hundred quid more than the warranty cost. So money well spent as far as I am concerned. I bought it from a fellow forum member nearly 2 years ago, who had it from new and I know it was very well looked after and only had an occasional departure from the tarmac, full dealer service history. So I would suggest that yes, you can expect to have issues, however well you think you have looked after it. It may not 'pack up', but main dealer repair costs mean it doesn't take much to break even.

End of the day, everyone has a choice, everyone takes a gamble. I've taken mine and I'm happy with it.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #18446006th Aug 2017 2:45 pm
Zikzik

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes, possibly small percentage, and, if what I read is correct, not one of the issues a late 2013 engine should suffer from.
I will keep saving the expense of fear based warranties / insurance. As I have with everything else where not legally obliged to have it. Maybe I have been lucky over the last 20 years or so. But the house break in sufferered some years back would not have covered the cash and family heirloom's taken, and the £3.5k I had to pay for my dogs treatments was less than I would have paid over an insured period.
I completely understand why people want it. I just don't get it. So I will continue to be as careful as possible and not cover stuff like house, pet, caravan etc.
 D4 XS new November 2013, RLD Spare protector, Bodsy bars
2010 (60) Jag XF 3.0 P Lux. Gone but not forgotten
2012 Toyota IQ 1.3 auto (The wife's)
Hymer motorhome
2001 Triumph Bonneville 

Post #18447166th Aug 2017 8:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >