Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

the hesitation thing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
the hesitation thing

ive been a bit troubled by the power lag in my MY14 for a few months now and this combined with a tendancy to be a bit change down happy and lurchy i sent it into the main dealers about 6 weeks ago ffor adiagnostic as its coming up to be out of warranty

they did a gearbox reset and software update but to be honest it didnt improve much

ive just had it in to West 4 X4 in Waltham chase near winchester a well respected local indy whos loooked after all my discos.
the young techie had a theory straightaway as they had had a range rover in with the same symptoms

it seems that old disco bug bare the brake light switch can be over sensitive hence as you come off the brake and go for slight throttle its still giving a brake signal to the ecu . hence you get a momentary delay power signal and lag.

they changed the switch adjusted the pedal mechanism (not sure exactly how) did some more software tweaks / updates and ..... WOW what a difference back to how it was when i first got her Very Happy Very Happy
silky smooth changes no overactive kick down and a dream to drive again.. so if you have the same symptoms it may just not be something you have to just put up with or as a first idea change the brake light switch Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #18431031st Aug 2017 7:09 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

Cool. And that is why it pays to take these machines to guys who know their beans... Thumbs Up
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #18431341st Aug 2017 7:57 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Anyone know if the brake pedal switch for the D4 is the same part as for the D3? Would save me buying another if it is. Thumbs Up

Post #18431391st Aug 2017 8:07 pm
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Interesting... many have reported that a remap cures the hesitation. Does the remap ignore / override the brake signal sent to the ecu?

It has been speculated that the remap is designed to work with the higher quality diesel available in Europe whereas the factory map is designed for developing work low quality diesel. No evidence to support that but I've always been dubious of that theory.
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #18431461st Aug 2017 8:26 pm
mark the spark

Mine wasnt remapped as far as im aware although any software upgrade could be deemed a remap so this may be just definitions.

it was just interesting that he had the brake light switct theory strightaway based upon the range rover previously

and i can only say that its a quantum leap in its drivability now and it was getting to the point that i was thinking of selling the car if i couldt get a resolution.

the biggest single change is you can now actually accelerate gradually at lower speeds without it kicking down and feeling your riding on Buckaroo (for those old enough )
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #18432162nd Aug 2017 7:23 am
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I changed the brake light switch on my D4 but it didn't make any difference to the hesitation. I would be interested to know what "adjustments" they made to the pedal mechanism.

Post #18432242nd Aug 2017 7:53 am
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I'd be interesting if a faulty brake switching is sending an incorrect brake message to the ecu which is then processing the signal correctly

Or

The brake switch is sending a correct signal and the ecu is not updating often enough to detect it is no longer receiving a brake signal.

If the former, an ecu remap could override a brake signal but it isn't a root cause fix, the brake switch repair is. If the latter then the ecu does need a remap.

Others will have far better insight in to this. One thing I will try is bringing the car to a halt without using the brakes (is it ok to coast to a halt in neutral) and then see if the hesitation happens.

PD
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #18434442nd Aug 2017 8:28 pm
Gilly1

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Iv had my 2015MY D4 for a couple weeks now and is going into the dealer on Friday for wheel alignment & hesitation, iv had a few other motorists getting pi**ed off with me when leaving a junction/roundabout because they think I'm just being a ass***e crawling out in front them causing them to slow when ther was plenty time to for me to pull out and be gone before they arrive, so in that situation I (as you do) ask for a bit more power, the car then decides to take of like a scolded cat. Iv been told that it doesn't do it when in sport mode but I don't want to constantly drive round in sport mode, hopefully they may find a solution. Will report bk when car returns... Thumbs Up
 2015MY discovery 4 se tech with factory black pack.
With added
Rse, tv, electric memory seats, rear camera, heated steering wheel,
Headlight dip assist, remote FBH, led door light pack,easy lift kit,osram front fog/drl/active cornering lights. and whatever els I can find to do, 

Post #18434622nd Aug 2017 9:20 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Been thinking and I winder if the pedal adjust was as simple as bending something so the pedal has to be pushed slightly further to activate the switch, this would also allow the switch to release earlier as you came off the brake pedal thus allowing the ecu to see the info that knatts cock quicker?

Post #18444285th Aug 2017 9:20 pm
mark the spark

You could be right there .the wife drove it for the first time since the change and unprompted by me commented on how much better it drove and the ease of control being noticeably better at low speed.so perhaps my issue was more of a kickdown sensitivety thing .but regardless im very happy its sorted Thumbs Up
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #18445236th Aug 2017 8:56 am
Gilly1

Little update, Land Rover fitted a new breaklight switch and done transmission software update/reset, seems to be a improvement but will See after a few miles, give it chance to settle in and see if it's permanent improvement.
With added
Headlight dip assist, remote FBH, led door light pack,easy lift kit,osram front fog/drl/active cornering lights. and whatever els I can find to do, 

Post #18445756th Aug 2017 11:33 am
mark the spark

Interesting they changed the switch. Main dealers dont normally do things without reason perhaps theres something known out there in info land.my guy did mention a LR tsb but i assumed that was a software thing.maybe they are on the same brakeswitch trail.
MY10 HSE D4 auto

Post #18445936th Aug 2017 12:50 pm
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If it is a brake switch problem, there should be a difference between taking of with the foot brake or parking brake.

Post #18445966th Aug 2017 1:16 pm
Gilly1

I did mention it to technician that I read it had been explored with another or others, maybe it was changed just to try & see.
With added

Post #18446056th Aug 2017 2:16 pm
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did some testing on my D3, it has a hesitation when going of the foot brake. Not with the parking brake. Will do some checking on the brake switch.

Post #18455719th Aug 2017 12:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >