Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Help needed on holiday:Transmission fault- battery issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
martinV

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Help needed on holiday:Transmission fault- battery issue?

Hi all. Need some info from the experts urgently since I am currently on a camping holiday in France and facing some issues.
Transmission fault kicks in at certain time and after clearing the fault with the OBD2 tool(always in the dash🤓) it will fire up but comes back after a while. Really don't like playing roulette away from home so I checked the hidden nav display on engine values. Voltage shows exactly 12v with no engine running. Putting the headlights on shows 11.5v. With the engine running idle value is 13v. I guess this is a bit low and it seems that the battery might have an issue. Battery is 5 yrs old. Yesterday on arrival at the campsite I left accidently the contact on while the camping fridge was still connected. It might have caused a bit of battery drain though. What bothers me the most is that I only see 13v at idle running motor( I didn't look at 2000 revs or so. When the battery charges properly I believe it needs for about 14v of input. I am not sure if the display shows alternator input at a running machine but the 13v might indicate a dreaded alternator.
My specific question is: can anyone go into the hidden nav menu and read out the voltage at idle running engine, at 2000revs and without the engine running.
I am asking those specific values read out via the hidden menu since I don't have any tools or equipment with me and I want to compare the values measured equally.
Based on the outcome I might need to take a decision of replacing the battery or alternator here in France and I don't want to risk being screwed by those French stealers. Your input is very welcome and much appreciated.
 Discovery 3 HSE  
Post #183757617th Jul 2017 12:48 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Maybe see if you can find a cheep battery charger out there (if you have 230V power)

or start looking at battery prices.

Post #183758417th Jul 2017 8:44 am
Sidestick

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The battery voltage in the hidden menu is the one red from the Body Control Ecu and it is not reliable,
the charging voltage is function of the external temperature, higher is the temperature lower will be the charging voltage, so in these days 13 to 14 is pretty normal.
Your battery is on the way to go when you get the Christmas tree at startup Thumbs Up
 - Easy-Lift suspension module 4.0
- GoodWinch 9500 lb
- Full underbody protections
- Tree/Rock sidebars
- Prospeed roofrack & ladder
- Compressor guard
- Raised Air Intake
- Driving lights (2+4)
- 50 mm Waffle boards
- Altox Heater control
- Overland Rooftop Tent
- Rear seats entertainment
- Front & Rear camera
- GVIF
- Removable tow bar
- Cubby box fridge
- BFG KO2 265/65R17
- iidTool BT 

Post #183765417th Jul 2017 12:08 pm
martinV

Thank you all for the advice. I have replaced the battery with a new one. I hope that this resolved the issue.
 Discovery 3 HSE  
Post #183769417th Jul 2017 2:21 pm
martinV

update

Ok then. Me back with the latest.
After advice from you guys, also via FaceBook, I've replaced the battery. I was lucky that there was a battery distributer in Le Mans (Main) who had litterally every existing battery in its delivery program.
It was even 30% lower in price than in NL. Paid 105 Euros for a brand new Varta replacement battery.
Indeed this battery showed 12.5 volts instead of 11.5 Volts. We were very happy to continue our holiday.....until the next day where I was forced to the roadside again with the same issues Censored
Just a quick reset of faults with the OBD2 tool quickly brought me back on the road.
Well, next day I've had it completely and decided to break up camp and move homeward.
Unfortunately in the middle of nowwhere with caravan the car stopped again and after I calmed down after a real burst out of anger and completely madness I managed with the OBD2 tool to clear some faults and get the darn thing running. Though running is a big wordt since it was just in the limp mode without any programs and in lower suspension mode. When we finally reached a safe place on the "peage"I placed another cry for help on FB where Russ pointed me in the right direction after I communicated the fault code. I checked and dismounted several connnectors in the engine bay and dismounted and mounted all fuses under the hood to detect bad connection/contact.
Yes, everything started to work normal and we could continue our 700km drive home.
Once at home I dismounted all connectors, cleaned them with spray en mounted them again. Also all fuse connectors in the fusebox sprayed and mounted again. That was last Thursday and no issues experienced anymore.
Dissapointing conclusion is that most likely a bad contact/connector has ruiend our holiday. Hopefully the cleaning operation prevents future issues.
Many thanks to all who responded to my questions for help!!
 Discovery 3 HSE  
Post #184007223rd Jul 2017 6:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >