Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

OBD Socket security issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sly666

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
OBD Socket security issues

Its scary how easily some lowlife can plug in a gizmo and have your D4 started and off the drive in 20 seconds.

If i were to isolate the +12V wire to the OBD socket and fit a hidden switch, would it stop them from being able to access the Immobiliser system?

Failing that, i'm considering a CAN lock device from Blackbox. But would rather not go down this route as they have annoyed me recently.

Post #182909221st Jun 2017 4:45 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

The 12V on the OBD socket is to provide power to the test equipment, I'd expect them to be self powered incase the battery was disconnected from it.

Post #182910021st Jun 2017 5:02 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Disconnect as much as you can from the OBD socket and/or change the pinout. If changing the pinout you would then need an adapter for service/diagnostic tool use.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #182910321st Jun 2017 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

just move it so that its not easily accessable - done this on current and last D4's. Unclip it and turn it back on itself. If you have deadlocked the car its almost (he says) impossible to get behind the lower panel without the drivers door being open. Then if you need to connect to the ODB post just clip it back into place.

Not saying its foolproof, but from what I have seen with some scroat putting a window through to then reach in and plug into ODB port, they wont be able to do that.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #182910721st Jun 2017 5:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 
Re: OBD Socket security issues

Sly666 wrote:

Failing that, i'm considering a CAN lock device from Blackbox. But would rather not go down this route as they have annoyed me recently.

You and me both, noticed mine wasn't working as with the IID Tool I could still access how many keys had been programmed, to be honest I'm not even sure it ever worked, as I had never seen any light illuminate from day one, by the time I went to BBS it was just over a year old, sent it back, wouldn't entertain any warranty as it was just over the one year, even tried the EU two years to little avail, with the cost of returning it, then repairing it, shipping back to me it was only a couple of quid less than a new one with warranty. Won't deal with them again.

I put the money towards a Disklok for when it's parked overnight.
From what I've read lately regarding holding something up to the house door to amplify the signal and driving away they are not even accessing the OBD Port so kind a makes the Canlock pointless.

Post #182915421st Jun 2017 7:39 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Made my own metal work. £15 for lock, £5 for rest.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #182916021st Jun 2017 7:59 pm
Sly666

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Martin wrote:
Disconnect as much as you can from the OBD socket and/or change the pinout. If changing the pinout you would then need an adapter for service/diagnostic tool use.

Hmmm. Got me thinking now... if i swapped the +12v pins and the CAN Low pins would i be able to fry the scummy lowlife's car stealing box???? Rolling with laughter
I'll probably forget to plug in my custom adapter and end up frying my iid tool or the main dealers diagnostic computer Rolling Eyes Shocked Whistle

Post #182917321st Jun 2017 8:31 pm
Hardware

only reason I didn't move mine is I couldn't find what held it in place. version 1 metalwork took an hour to make/fit and more than that to remove to make version 2.

suggest move it is a good start HOWEVER ... we need to get some stickers sorted to suggest access is non-standard, otherwise it's a broken window before they know.

Dean

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.

Post #182917821st Jun 2017 8:44 pm
Hardware

Don't confuse "remote scanning of your key" theft with "OBD access" theft.

First only works on keyless entry cars.

I'm guessing second works on them all ... Although LR Customer Services told me the problem had been resolved for vehicles post-2011. My bet would be the software to overcome their changes is already out there.

Dean

Post #182927122nd Jun 2017 7:05 am
Washwipe

England 

Another one gone.

Don’t think they scanned for the Fob, may have just broke in and accessed the OBD port, looks like the alarm was activated.

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.adams.393/posts/10215590273369392

Post #18994439th Jan 2018 10:05 pm
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I looked into this a while ago, and in the end went down the unclip and move route - it's reasonably secure against the 'reach in' theft, and is easy to do (iirc, lie down in footwell and look up and you can remove 2 screws and then move it). Did consider a dummy one in there that wasn't connected to anything, from a scrapyard, but all that does is frustrate them and they are there longer - it doesn't add much to the security.

Post #18994709th Jan 2018 10:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >