Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Almost 3 Years old Warranty now Due to expire, EPB failiure.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nigelpugh

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
Almost 3 Years old Warranty now Due to expire, EPB failiure.

Hi Guys,

Been some time since my last posts, been busy with my new company and all that!!

However the reason for the post is that my TDV6 HSE will be three years old in December hence the warranty is due to expire.

I had intended to get it booked in for next week, but yesterday a fault occurred which worried me.

I was traveling down the M1 in Nottinghamshire, at shall we say slightly more than the speed limit! Wink

All of a sudden there was a loud noise from the rear off side, and the whole vehicle began to shudder violently.

It then felt like I had lost control of the back end, as you would when towing a trailer, I was not by the way!.

I pulled over to see if I could see the problem, but the hard shoulder of the Motorway is not a good or safe place to carry out off side inspections.

I could not see anything, so decided to dive home at a reduced pace.

As it was poring with rain yesterday, and I could still not see anything, I left it and virtually forgot about it.

However when setting off this morning, there was a lot squealing and shuddering from the rear off side again.

As I drove down the road, the noise became louder, and the vibration had come back, also when stopping I noticed smoke coming from the rear off side wheel.

I decided to abort my journey and get my local friendly LR Independet dealer to look at it.

By this time there was what seemed to be a small fire from the back wheel, well at least lost of smoke and smells!!

The judgment call was that it was unsafe to drive so, they decided to take the wheel and disk off to check the brake mechanism.

The entire unit was basically snafu, with the inside hand brake mechanism melted and destroyed!!

The disk itself looked like it had been set on fire and was very discolored.

Now this is the third set of rear disks and pads on this motor in 50K miles in three years, and I am sorry its just not good enough.

It is now going to go into the LR dealer to get it looked at under warranty.

I am going to post a separate posting on the other issues that I hope will be sorted by the warranty.

Any one else had this fault?

Nige.
 Nige - 2014 Disco 4 TDV6 HSE Luxury - Scotia Grey 

Last edited by nigelpugh on 14th Nov 2007 4:44 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22408414th Nov 2007 4:29 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Third set of disks in 50k! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Something not right there or you're driving with your foot on the brake all day long...... (which I assume you're not Wink )
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #22408514th Nov 2007 4:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelpugh

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

Yep,

Its a bit too much is it not.

However the first set were replaced under warranty, due to a know fault with the EPB mech and the second set because for some reason the pad wear indicators did not let me know that they were worn almost down to the metal, and first warning I git was squealing and metal filings on the wheel rim!!

Doh,

Nige.
 Nige - 2014 Disco 4 TDV6 HSE Luxury - Scotia Grey  
Post #22408614th Nov 2007 4:41 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have had the same occurence, with lots of smoke and nasty smells. I had new rear disks pads, shoes, and gubbins. Seems ok now. Warranty should cover it.

If you have had 3 sets of disks in 50k, then I would suggest that your dealer is just addressing the immediate symptom instead of finding the actual cause of the sticking mechanism. As you are nearing the end of the warranty, you should insist on a full inpection, and replacement as necessary.

Post #22410414th Nov 2007 5:52 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I think this is linked to the EPB problems. I had this issue, it went into the dealer who fixed the EPB but then tried to suggest I pay for rear pad replacement Shocked As I am trading it in I didn't bother but had this not been the case I would have been arguing for it to be done under warranty.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #22410614th Nov 2007 6:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I thought the EPB only worked on the handbrake unit and not the rear discs Question

Post #22411714th Nov 2007 6:37 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've not had a rear brake fire (at least not that I know of), but something caught my eye the other day when I was putting the 17's back on, on the rear drum part of the discs there should be a plastic plug, poss for p/b shoe inspection / adjustment or such like, well on one side there was just the remains of what looked to be a previously melted bit of plastic that had run out of this hole in the disc, so I guess the p/b shoes on that side have been causing some heat build up at some stage , (not getting hot now, as they have probably worn away).

Post #22411814th Nov 2007 6:40 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

countrywide wrote:
I thought the EPB only worked on the handbrake unit and not the rear discs Question

They work behind the disks as can be seen here :-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11971.h...epb+pic%2A

So can understand how they get the disks hot if they're binding.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #22411914th Nov 2007 6:46 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Useful piece of kit is a Maplin Infra-Red thermometer.

You can check 6 tyres and brake assemblies in as little time as it takes to walk round car + trailer/caravan.

Tells you if all is OK; and what to investigate.

No problems so far - the squeaking EPB on purchase at 18 months old has now gone. Is that because I actually use the EPB often? (Every surface around me is 1 in 4...)

A
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #22413814th Nov 2007 7:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >