Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Now power to aircon blower
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Gareth's suggestion is also good ... my (now ex)mate replaced all the elements on my oven due to it frequently tripping the RCD and left me with "last possible fix" of running a new 6mm feed to it. I ran 10mm as the effort of replacing was much greater than cost of cable, fitted a secondary consumer unit so nothing else was being taken out ( I work from home so my computers are very important !!!) ... and it still kept tripping.

Dismantled the oven to the point where I could see ALL the wiring and found ... a switch burnt to f*ck.

so ... moral is wires do sometimes cause issues but generally it's the moving parts that give up first!

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #182595712th Jun 2017 10:44 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Ask Robbie as Im sure I read an excellent write up he did on how the system works, Iirc its a pulse width modulator and it varies the negative side and not the power side, but check with him first!

Blame, where blame is due, Wink I only attempted this based on all the excellent comment / posts from Robbie etc., and at each step I was hoping that would be it - sorted. When we get's to talking Pulse Width Modulation and the like I have to concede to my limitations.

Thanks all for the additional input though, I will try the connectors [Gareth] to the switches, although they all seem to light up as should and the suggested Hevac test seems to do its bit albeit with the flashing econ light -telling me there's a fault.

There is 12v to the relay, though no clicking so like the idea [Pete K] of it being the climate panel green/white wire to test - I'll have a look this morning as dash still in bits. Will also try the meter on various wires and record what I find.

Watch this space for an update!! Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #182602313th Jun 2017 7:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I would try bypassing the relay with a wire link and see if the fan works as a diagnostic test.

So the live 12v terminal to the fan white wire terminal.

Post #182612313th Jun 2017 12:22 pm
Mossy

Small update,

Have bypassed the relay and the blower works - the front control panel operates it correctly, with variable speed etc. Have looked at the connectors at the rear of the panel and all look OK. Just seems that something is preventing the relay switching over. Everything seems to be fully functioning just the relay "sez no"
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #182613713th Jun 2017 12:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

so if you've detected 12v on the trigger at relay end and from what you posted you've tried 2 realys ... mustn't be enough juice getting to relay.

contact damaged where relay plugs in ? VW Scirrocos circa 1983 used to have a poor contact behind a relay that generated heat which allowed contact to move in the plastic which made contact worse ... vicious cycle leading to melted fusebox assembly.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #182614813th Jun 2017 12:55 pm
Mossy

I've pulled down the PDF "412-04_Control_Components_Description_and_Operation" from BByer's gallery so when I next get a few moments will go pin-by-pin to see if it is a simple wire down somewhere.

What worries me a little is that I had the main junction box changed a few months back completely by the main dealer (water ingress) and something may have been pinched / cut or not fully connected.

Re. not enough juice - there is simply no juice getting to the relay to trigger it.

Appreciate all this help and suggestions by the way - normally leave this stuff to the dealer to sort, but for once I thought it might be a simple fix. Will I never learn!!! Laughing
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #182615313th Jun 2017 1:03 pm
Pete K

I think your doing better than a dealer. Very close to the problem.

Hardware17 wrote:
so if you've detected 12v on the trigger at relay end and from what you posted you've tried 2 realys

It's a ground signal out of the control unit which energises the relay coil.

Just need to check continuity between that relay pin and the panel to see if the wire is ok.

Post #182623513th Jun 2017 5:50 pm
Mossy

Man versus Aircon Blower....

So, my job tomorrow is to:

Look at the ATCM harness C1360, think its pins 3 & 4 and / or maybe 17 / 18, assuming I have understood this
"Blower Control
When A/C is selected or the blower speed is manually selected, the ATCM energizes the coil of the blower relay in the Battery Junction Box (BJB). The energized blower relay supplies battery power to the blower motor, which is grounded through the blower control module. The speed of the blower is controlled by a PWM signal from the ATCM to the blower control module. The blower control module regulates the blower motor voltage in relation to the PWM signal."

Correctly, or in other words as you [Pete K] suggest, continuity check between that relay pin and the panel to see if that wire is OK.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #182635113th Jun 2017 9:35 pm
Mossy

Anyone know where C2239 connector is. Having eliminated everything else I think.... Could be wrong.. The issue is somewhere around here. Blower relay coil connector.

I have no idea where or even what it looks like. Smart money is on green

Thanks
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #182696215th Jun 2017 11:59 am
Pete K

Don't know.

I would start to prepare to run a new wire in if you know it's broken.

While installing, I bet you will find the connector!

Post #182710015th Jun 2017 6:04 pm
Mossy

Laughing Probably.

From what I can tell, the green/white wire from controller to c2239 / c2241 is broken somewhere either before or after connector. Not sure as can't find the connector. There are a couple of posts suggesting it is a light green / dark green connect, respectively, on the left hand side behind the A pillar.

Stripped back and nothing obvious - higher up only airbag, and below seems to be the main CJB with all sorts of connectors coming in and out obviously. I can only assume when the CJB was replaced it was pushed back somewhere out of site or more likely I am missing what's straight in front of me.

Have been right under dash, see nothing obvious and even had a good root around.

I am soooo close..... yet soooo far!

Still as before, thanks for the moral and cerebral support!!
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #182715215th Jun 2017 8:11 pm
Pete K

You removed the bonnet release handle then and looked behind there ?

Anyway, might not be the connector, just get a new wire in.

Post #182717615th Jun 2017 8:54 pm
Mossy

Yes, had the side panel off and two grey connectors, but seem unrelated to anything hevac, though I did find where the dealer had stiffed by old handsfree kit and connectors Rolling Eyes

Think you are right it is just a case of feeding a new wire - looking for break is not going to solve it and the solution is the same.

Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #182720715th Jun 2017 9:29 pm
Mossy

Closure

Bit late, but thought I would close this thread.

New wire run through and all working as it should. Very Happy

Thanks all Thumbs Up

Paul
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #18347068th Jul 2017 5:02 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well done chap! The V8 lives on. 8)

Post #18347648th Jul 2017 10:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >