Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Dreaming of Disco Upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Dreaming of Disco Upgrades

Just dreaming of a time when I have (a) lots of spare cash and (b) a wife who is happy for me to spend it how I like.....

I'd really like my D4 to be expedition-ready. Wife is gradually coming round to the idea of some extended overland trip, but obviously, the Disco would need some add-ons.

I'm thinking (at the moment) of:

- sump guard
- winch
- Expo rack
- rear ladders
- rock sliders
- leisure battery

As usual with all things mechanical, my lofty ambition is matched only by my total ineptitude. So, firstly, were I to acquire the above items, would I need anything else e.g. specially-cut bumper for the winch? Secondly, any recommendations for a site where I could spec these out and get an idea of how much I'd need to spend? Thirdly, any other items I ought to consider to upgrade the car?

Like I said, this is idle speculation just now. But it's Friday and it's a slow-ish day.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #18217712nd Jun 2017 1:08 pm
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

There are a few sites varying in $$$$ for what you are looking to do.

For the first two: best option is to speak to Uncle Ray (user RLD) he manufactures sump guards and winch mounts.

For the next two: then again a few options but I would highly recommend the Prospeed rack and rear ladder but they are expensive.

For the next, I assume you mean tree sliders??, if so then have a look again on the prospeed site but ($$$$) or a lot of us have other manufactures and they vary in price but are good bits of kit.

For the last: split charge system highly recommend T-Max system. Cheap and easy to install. Then just get your self a second battery and clamp to fit in the second battery box Thumbs Up You can add as much as you want on to this but I would say a basic set up is around (200-300)

Hope that helps Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #18217882nd Jun 2017 2:02 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Unless you really are going to get serious about your off roading all I would buy is decent tyres and the split charge set up.

Dont be the guy with all the gear and no idea, you know the ones I mean, car has every accessory known to mankind and its been on there for years and still mint, they look at your mud covered car and they know you know they know Mr. Green

Post #18217912nd Jun 2017 2:08 pm
Scott #55

That would, indeed, be me......
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #18217922nd Jun 2017 2:10 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ive seen it a few times at pay and play sites where the jacked up defender with all the gear cant get over the obstacle and then along comes someone in a std 90/suzuki Jimny and bops right over it with no issues.

I used to attend a few trials locally and there was a lady (with a fantastic Censored !) in her std 90 truck cab and she pretty much won week after week against all sorts of challengers.

Tyres really are the most important bit, the rest is just insurance, heavy cumbersome insurance.

Post #18219242nd Jun 2017 8:58 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

lynalldiscovery wrote:
Unless you really are going to get serious about your off roading all I would buy is decent tyres and the split charge set up.

Exactomundo. Thumbs Up With a winch you would be a complete liability unless you knew what you were doing, and that doesn't mean just been on a training course. Think what you'd actually use rather than need on a "what if ......... " scenario.

PS Well maybe also a sump guard, mainly coz I have one on the D3 & D4. Plus Upper Lugga. And the spending continues!! Whistle

Post #18219252nd Jun 2017 9:05 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Nowt wrong with a few external accessories, just needs to be tastefully done and used Mr. Green

RLD sump guard, prospered rack, ladder and sliders, std lamp guards
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #18219422nd Jun 2017 10:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I completely agree with the comments above just do it slowly and piece by piece. I am at a level I like now externally (apart from wanting a D4 facelift).

Tyres are a must (my GG ATs have saved me a few times in fields) and another must for me in the roof rack.

I have a permanent dog guard in so a roof rack is essential. But I also wanted it to look good hence the purachse of the prospeed. I went for the Mk1 (second hand) and having seen the newer model I am
glad I did. The sides are slightly higher (so yes not as sleek and low) which means I can put loads 'into' the rack rather than just 'on top' which suits me really well.

Just have a think about what you 'require' and what you 'want' the. Build it up from there would be my suggestion Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #18219573rd Jun 2017 1:56 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I entirely agree with what has been said above, don't go over the top, and weigh your vehicle down with unnecessary kit.

Give serious thought to both wheel size & choice of tyres. I too am a great fan of GG ATs, they perform well and last extremely well. I have never run a set down to the last few millimetres, but estimate a set of 4 should last c.50k miles if you did.

Full size spare wheel, not a space saver, of course.

No one has mentioned first aid kit, fire extinguisher etc.. They are the first "extras" I would add, but I expect you have them already. Spares? Bulbs, brake light switch, not too much. Service the car before you go, not on the trip!

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #18219583rd Jun 2017 2:28 am
Scott #55

Thanks, guys/gals(?) - all good advice. Winch is off the list!
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #18219823rd Jun 2017 8:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >