Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Suspension will not stay level across the rear axle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Air Suspension will not stay level across the rear axle

Hi ho,

Another Sunday, more issues Banging Head

So i was looking at the car on the drive and thought the NSR looked a little low, on inspection I noticed what looks like a white substance on the bottom of the strut that looked new.

I did replace the disc and pads last week, but don't recall it then, nor do I recall the suspension looking low. The car was jacked from the suspension joint in offroad mode & supported on an axle stand from the chassis rail

I have had a quick look for fault codes an the only reoccurring ones are U0132 & U0159. No other faults or errors and the suspension raises and lowers as expected.

The compressor doesn't seem the run for extended periods of time, just a minute or so from a overnight start or frequent raising & lowering etc

Below is a picture of the white stuff. Which may or may not be related to the issue

Click image to enlarge

I've measured from the bottom of the arch to the centre cap on each rear wheel and get 455mm on the RL & 465mm on the RR so I do seem to have a 10mm list to the port!

Any ideas on what &where to start looking?
Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Last edited by Skagg on 29th Oct 2017 11:41 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #181740921st May 2017 2:46 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I am not sure that 10 mm is that relevant. When I reset my heights I found measurements are not that accurate once off level surface.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #181744921st May 2017 4:50 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

So, having slept on it & looked again today. both front & rear on the left appear to list. I've taken it to various levelish locations in different ride settings & it still looked like it's leaning to the left.

I don't recall this before changing the pads & discs. I did note when taking the car off the jacks at some point it did think it was in extended mode. But now other than listing, everything appears normal.

Could I have mucked up a setting through the jacking process & it needs resetting?

Given the lack of fault codes or other symptoms to help diagnose a problem my first thoughts were to change all four height sensors & find someone local to South Devon with a IID tool or such like & re calibrate it.

What's the consensous from the knowledgable folk here? Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Post #181795922nd May 2017 7:22 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Yep, it definitely appears to lean to the near side. Have you checked for any visible damage to the plastic height sensors on that side? As you say, you could do with fault codes being checked.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #181836623rd May 2017 5:05 pm
Skagg

Other than the white stuff on the strut the are no visible signs of damage or failure to the height senior or strut.
Other than the two fault codes i've already posted there is nothing else to report.

Post #181837723rd May 2017 5:26 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Is it possible that when you had the body jacked up on stands that the strut extended and now needs a few bumpy roads to get it back into its original position

Post #181888524th May 2017 10:51 pm
Skagg

Hi thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking similar lines although the reverse. I'm thinking as it was jacked on the suspension joint it comprrssedthe suspension to a level greater than it normally sees in everyday use.

Tome might resolve the problem

We will see!

Post #181890925th May 2017 6:25 am
Skagg

Hello Guys,

The story of the wonky suspension continues!

So, for good measure I replaced all the height sensors & took it to the local indy to have the suspension re calibrated. On the ramp both before & after the calibration it look level visually. I think it's better since the re calibration but still doesn't seem right to me.

It's not throwing any errors either in car or on the IID Tool that I now own.

Here is a screen grab of the car sat on my drive today. I'm still finding my way around the IID Tool so it doesn't mean a huge amount to me at the moment, although i'm presuming the negative reading on the nearside mean it's lower than the offside, either because that's the offset that has been dialled in or its compensating for the uneven ground on the drive. So I've turned the car around & taken another grab.

What are the thoughts from the learned people here? Does the difference nearside to offset look excessive? Should I consider calibrating myself to try & compensate for the difference given the vehicle isn't throwing any obvious errors?

I did note that if i deflate the system down to the stops it still looks wonky (it's mainly the nearside rear) Air pressure in the tyres is equal both sides. Could it be a mechanical failure in the suspension that's causing the wonkiness? There aren't any knocks, bangs or clunks from the suspension.

Any help to try & solve this mystery would be most welcome as I don't want to have to take it the the dealer & have them start randomly replacing things until they find a fix.

Cheers

Nick

Post #18327622nd Jul 2017 3:18 pm
Skagg

Latest update.......

So today I've been attempting to level the D3 again but without much joy. Here is what I've been doing.

On a level hard standing I've used the IID guided calibration tool to measure & set all four corners. In standard suspension mode, I set the rear to 495mm & the front to 466mm. Measured from the arch to the wheel centre.

All looks good when I store the settings to the car. It's only until I reactivate the EAS by selecting Off road mode & then setting it back to standard that the problem re occurs. When the vehicle returns to standard mode the nearside front & rear are around 10mm lower than when I set it which then causes the vehicle to list slightly to the left.

I've gone through the process a number of times now all with the same result.

Other than an occasional U0132 - Lost Communication with Ride Level Control Module error it's not throwing any other hints of what could be wrong. I can't link the fault code to any specific condition, it appears randomly.

Any thoughts or experience you might be able to share?

Cheers Guys

Skagg Thumbs Up

Post #18443255th Aug 2017 4:17 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi Skagg

don't know if this makes any difference

when i set my heights i done , centre of wheel to arch , used some masking tape

front 466mm
rear 485mm

if ur back height setting is 495 mm could it be that what's throwing it out

just an idea and hope u didn't mind me saying Thumbs Up

Post #18443935th Aug 2017 8:18 pm
Skagg

Thx for the reply gstuart.

I think it was my mistake in the earlier post, it was 466 & 485 I was setting it at.

Good shout though.

Thx

Post #18444115th Aug 2017 8:42 pm
gstuart

shame is wasn't that Whistle

can't remember where but read where u put it into off road height first, then drop it to normal then take the measurements

could a height sensor be loose of faulty on the near side

aplogises just trying to think if maybe what's causing it , must of course be driving u insane

may i ask out of curiosity plse, if u remove the F26 fuse overnight to stop it self levelling does it drop by any chance

did u remove the fuse when u replaced the discs to stop the suspension from moving

what are ur tyre pressures on

Post #18444305th Aug 2017 9:22 pm
gstuart

just had another thought Whistle

when it went into extended mode could that of damaged ur height sensors

alas though i'm not experinaced enough to see if that can truely happen

edit , apologies , just seen you've replaced them all Thumbs Up

Post #18444335th Aug 2017 9:37 pm
Skagg

Hi,

Yeah, that sounds like the instructions for the IID tool. Stick it in off road, drop to normal then move forward 5 mtrs & back again.

I replaced all the height sensors after it first showed signs of not being right to eliminate them.

I must admit i didn't remove F26 when i changed the discs & pads. I did follow Bodsy's brake bible which i must say is excellent! I have done a hard reset since the problem to try & reset any issue the jacking may have caused.

I'll try leaving it overnight tomorrow with the fuse removed to see what happens, though i don't expect much as it sits on the drive all week doing nothing as it's only used weekends & the suspension doesn't change so i don't think it's leaking.

Brand new GG AT's all round with equal pressures across the axles so it's not that.

Keep the ideas coming Thumbs Up

The Censored thing is starting to get me a bit miffed to say the least Big Cry

Cheers

Post #18444375th Aug 2017 9:46 pm
gstuart

hi , i bet it's driving u insane

will try with the ideas Whistle

wonder, if supposedly the bushes were worn on the bottom of the strut

thinking that as the air strut raises to its level, it fixed top and bottom, plate at the top so surely cant move, but at the bottom with the single bush could it push down and cause the landy to lean

maybe i'm going off in the totally wrong direction

wonder if putting it on different heights then pulling the fuse will make any difference , i.e. to test fir any leaks over night , normal and off road

can the height adjusters be altered to take up the height difference , or are they fixed

if jacked up by the lower wishbones could that have caused them to move , bend them, or worn bushes, ???

just trying to think of different scenarios Laughing

was the suspension and height perfect before u done the discs

Post #18444536th Aug 2017 12:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >