DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Possible own goal.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
markagj

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Possible own goal.

Hi all,

I finally decided to change what I could of the gearbox oil today.To give myself slightly better access to the top pipe of the cooler I removed the horizontal intake pipe across the front of the engine and then stuck some paper towel just inside it as it was raining.I can only assume that I failed to remove the tissue and it has been sucked in as when I started it up to circulate the gearbox oil there was a lot of smoke from the exhausts along with a lumpy idle and a failure to rev when the accelerator was gently pressed.

In all, it has been started three times...firstly to drain as much oil as possible from the t/c using a couple of pipes attached to the top pipe and inlet of the cooler when nothing untoward was noticed but upon refilling and starting the car to circulate the oil there was a lot of smoke coming out of it.I'm not even sure that the paper towel wasn't removed, as i had been interrupted (kids) at this point but I can't think of anything else it could be other than an amazing coincidence of the intercooler pipe splitting Or an egr issue right as this very moment.
Does anyone know if there is a join in this pipe that runs vertically down just to the nearside of the engine so I could possibly open it up to try and see if I can determine whether the paper has been sucked in or not? Or any other ideas would be most welcome at the moment.....

Thanks.
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6
Land Rover series 3 2.5 Petrol

Post #181650418th May 2017 8:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Your not the first. There is a similar post.
No smoke though.

The pipe was removed from the turbo and tissue removed. Iirc

Post #181654818th May 2017 9:16 pm
markagj

Thanks for your input Pete...any idea where there is a break in this pipe please? I couldn't see the wood for the trees earlier on when I was trying to fathom what may have happened.

Or a link to the post that you refer to as I can't find it at the mo.
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6

Post #181655418th May 2017 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

It's 1 pipe to the turbo.

A sod to remove.

Fairly easy to remove from the turbo and see if it can be seen.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

I can't see the post. Maybe someone will come forward.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #181655518th May 2017 9:30 pm
markagj

That's a very helpful photo, at least I can try and follow it now - everything is so hard to see under there lying on your back, thank you.
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6

Post #181655918th May 2017 9:43 pm
Pete K

Need to get into the wheel arch

Post #181657818th May 2017 10:30 pm
kayble

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm a little ashamed to admit that this happened to me. Engine started to check for proper operation of my newly fitted alternator, shut off as soon as I realised what had happened. I used a vacuum cleaner hose inserted from the top, to remove the rag I had placed in the pipework. Managed to get the rag to a point where it could be hooked from above and lifted out - intact thankfully.

EDIT: Just seen the pic in the post above. The rag had just got to the corrugated bit after the bend in the hose in my case - so the vac hose was able to pick it up and bring it 'up' the pipe to a point where I could hook/remove it.

Post #181730621st May 2017 10:04 am
markagj

Unfortunately the paper towel had been sucked further into the pipe, just in front of the turbo.I was able to disconnect the pipe from the turbo and pick it out.Not something i would look forward to doing again.

Running fine now....(thanks for your help Pete Thumbs Up ) except for a cross articulation suspension fault which appeared on a test run to see if the gearbox was working normally after the oil change.It only seems to appear when my speed exceeds about 40mph.I'm now trying to get my head around a suspension calibration. Confused
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6

Post #181824723rd May 2017 1:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >