Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Emigration to Perth WA - Advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
MrH

United Kingdom 
Emigration to Perth WA - Advice please

Sorry in advance - I know this is Off Topic, but I wanted to direct this at the Austrialian based members rather than everyone.

I seem to remember one or two Disco3 members from Oz that have made this move and am hoping for a bit of advice.

My company are offering to assist in the matter i.e. full relocation package Smile That's the big hurdle sorted - I think.

It's an especially big move for us because we've never been to Australia, but have many friends from there and relatives who have been and know us well, and they believe we'd love it. We are looking at making a relatively short trip (7-10 days) to Perth to see what's where before we finally make up our mind and that's where I'm hoping for some help. Rather than going there blindly wondering from place to place I'm trying to put together an itinery so we can go to specific places to look at potential living areas and local facilities.

We'd be looking for country style living. We're not city dwellers, we like the quiet life and outback weekends camping and fishing. When we do it we will be bringing amongst other things, one dog (18th old white GSD), and the D3. Any advice gladly received - thanks in advance
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #22597720th Nov 2007 5:37 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Go to Sydney instead - that's my advise! Perth is a long long long way from anywhere else!
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #22597820th Nov 2007 5:42 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ya can't gooooo Big Cry

iv'e set my next years sales budget on the principal of all the bits you'd need for the Morroco trip.....

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #22598320th Nov 2007 5:53 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

VA - Afraid it's Perth or not go Confused But then, we did know that at the outset, and that's not going to put us off.

Cheers Nick, you'll just have to deliver in person - for the same price of course Whistle
Post #22605020th Nov 2007 8:06 pm
Pelyma

England 

Shhh there all crims over there Whistle
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #22608220th Nov 2007 8:49 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

You're a rotten lot, aren't you ????!!!

You'll have to define 'country living' before I could give any advice. Perth is a _very_ spread out city (think of the size of LA, but with only 1.3 million people), so there is little real urban living. The suburbs are more like English village living.

Yes it's a long way from other cities, but there's some _real_ 4wd adventures to be had - none of this mamby-pamby greenlaning Twisted Evil

On the other hand, the vineyards are around the corner, as are the best beaches in the world (and you can still drive on some of them!) - oh and the Canning Stock Route is just up the road if you want a bit of a desert holiday Wink

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #22619821st Nov 2007 12:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davesimmons

Canada 

can I come too Mr. Green

Post #22620821st Nov 2007 12:46 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: Emigration to Perth WA - Advice please

Disconutter wrote:
Sorry in advance - I know this is Off Topic,

Not at all. It's about Oz isn't it. Very Happy

Good idea moving from the 'Land of the Long Black Cloud' Wink
Perth is as good as anywhere to start off.
Doing well economically at the moment. They dig lots of stuff up!
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22622121st Nov 2007 1:38 am
Jamo

Australia 

Perth's a beautiful city. You won't regret the move.

Sorry, can't help you with the itinery as I'm down south a bit.

WA has more camping and fishing spots than you could possibly see in a lifetime.

When you're living here, you'll have to come down to Esperance for a visit. We've got the best beaches in Australia (and hence the world Thumbs Up ); and you can still drive on all of them. A fishing and 4wding heaven.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #22622921st Nov 2007 3:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Oz is avery frendly place, Very Happy It does not matter where you go you will like it 8)
and with DISCO3 members in all states there are plenty of contacts, so just post a message if you are going somewere and there will be someone to show you around Thumbs Up

Rob

Post #22623021st Nov 2007 4:10 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Although I live in Melbourne (3500kms by road east) I just love perth.
My geologist son has lived there for 15 years and we visit every chance that we get.
We usually spend at least 3 days in the Margaret River region (3 hours drive south of Perth) wine tasting Very Happy and enjoying the beaches.
My son has just bought a house in Busselton (2 hours drive south of Perth) as a holiday house, so I will be visiting more often.
W.A. is a VERY big place Surprised and it is a long way to & from anywhere (just look at the distances Jamo has covered in his D3)
You won't regret a move to Perth. Thumbs Up

Post #22623721st Nov 2007 8:11 am
MrH

United Kingdom 

disco4x4au wrote:
You're a rotten lot, aren't you ????!!!

You'll have to define 'country living' before I could give any advice. Perth is a _very_ spread out city (think of the size of LA, but with only 1.3 million people), so there is little real urban living. The suburbs are more like English village living.

Hi Gordon,

Hopefully this will quantify things a little. We currently live in a small-medium sized village, within 2 minutes walk from the house we are in open countryside or forest, depending on the direction with take. we're 15 miles from the nearest city, 8 miles from the nearest large town. Looking for a place with about 1-2 acres, house doesn't need to exist, quite happy to build from new (already have plans). That said, at present we are lucky and have a village shop that sells most things, a post office and a doctors & pharmacy all within walking distance - these are good to have but don't to be in walking distance. I'm happy to drive/train/bus 60-90mins to work if needs be - I'm used to that as I normally work at client sites around the UK anyway.

Cheers.

And thanks to all the encouraging reports sofar Thumbs Up
Post #22625521st Nov 2007 10:02 am
jik22

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We did this nearly a year ago, and I love it. If work is offering you Perth, go for it. I had the opposite problem - my wife grew up in Perth and has family here, but my company wanted e in Melbourne or Sydney. Luckily, we won through in the end. That said, from what I've seen of Melbourne or Sydney, I'd be happy in either too. Very Happy

What I would say, with house price increases here over the last couple of years, is try and get that as part of the package. Nice suburbs near the coast are very expensive now - long gone are the days where you could sell up in the UK, transfer your money at nearly 3:1, and buy a house here for peanuts. Sad

If you want rural, you may be luckier, but you'll be a fair way from the city either inland or up or down the coast...where will work be?

Car wise, you need to have had the D3 a year, and prove it is in daily use (Not a problem if it's genuine, but a way to stop people buying a car, sticking it in a garage and exporting it a year later). You also get hit with 10% import duty and 10% sales tax on the Aus valuation of the car, plus budget for quarantine wanting it cleaned once it arrives. Do the sums carefully - we sold our 18 month old D2a when we came as it wasn't worth bringing it. Mind you, had I known how rare Defenders were, especially 90's, I'd have bought one of those a year in advance and shipped it over. Shocked

Can't help dog-wise, except to say I think you should expect a big bill from what I've heard!

Feel free to PM with specific questions, but I guarantee you won't regret the move if you like a laid back, country lifestyle!!
 - Jeff K -  
Post #22627321st Nov 2007 10:47 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Perth

Having moved from the East (you will learn that in Perth there is WA and then there is The East; I'm from Adelaide, SA (the Middle East Laughing ). I can honestly say Perth is a sensational spot and what it loses in distance from the other capitals (and associated time and costs travelling East) it gains by having the best River, the best beaches by far and a fantstic climate; yes its only a couple of million people - but that makes it very easy to get around! It boasts the very best of what Australia has to offer and is an ideal place to raise a family. Be aware that the economic boom (it probably the biggest this country has ever faced) has caused house prices to pass Melbourne and now rival Sydney. Australia's most expensive real estate is here (eg an Indian family are just strating their $70M house in Peppermint Grove on the Swan). Its difficult to know where to start / stop but I'd be happy to talk to you over the phone at work; I'm a Partner at one of the major accounting firms here and speak with people in the UK during work hours, weekly (our International Group is "Baker Tilly").
cheers

Chris
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #22628121st Nov 2007 11:06 am
akini

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Disconutter

I'm perth born and bred but recently spent 3 years living and working in the UK. We returned a couple of years ago mainly for lifestyle.

Perth really offers you all the lifestyles you want - beachside living, innercity, semi-rural - whatever. It affords you a great quality of life and has plenty of natural beauty (rivers, beaches, national parks etc) but often gets called dullsville. Its all open to debate but most like it that way. Perth is also often talked about as a large english village (we actually have one of the highest Uk immigration rates in the country) and due to the small population - you will often find that there are 2 degrees of separation in people you know/meet.

As disco4x4au said perth is spreadout and is still quite small so even if you choose to set yoursleves 1-1.5hrs out your are guaranteed to get acreage yet still be very convenient to the city and have access to all the lifestyle options. There are plenty of places in the hills of perth which have the village feel if that is what you are after.

There is a growing group of D3 owners in perth now (as you have probably guessed) so look forward to welcoming you over here.

All the best in the decision making Smile

Post #22635221st Nov 2007 2:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >