Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Steps to DX a HPFP failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dxa

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
Steps to DX a HPFP failure

Who here can give me tips on normal diagnostic procedure when it comes to HPFP failure?

Usual symptoms - intermittent limp mode, usual bings and bongs, reset fixes it for X miles and then it happens again ( sometimes almost immediately)

Is it a case to normally replace the fuel rails inc pressure sensor, then the LPFP? followed by HPFP?

Or can you actually make a diagnosis by checking PSI on valves etc?

Garage have had the car for 2 weeks, and have done the above replacements and have seem to have done process of elimination rather than Diagnostic work as requested before work started.

TIA!

Post #18009697th Apr 2017 12:57 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Without a good fault code reader and live values you and they are shooting in the dark. When do these faults occur?
Ideally you need someone with an Iid tool to diagnose and post the findings.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #18009817th Apr 2017 1:30 pm
dxa

Sorry, had a fault code reader on it. i cant remember the exact code but it was consistently related to low pressure on fuel rail. Numbers were fluctuating around 23-24XXX

Post #18009847th Apr 2017 1:32 pm
dxa

P0087

Post #18009987th Apr 2017 2:10 pm
KostasA

Greece 

i had same fault as you, according to LR this is HPFP especially when it comes with limp mode and a big F on the dashboard. Now HPFP can be either the actual pump or not getting enough flow flow from the LPFP (hence to avoid cavitation is cuts the HPFP). As far as i know there is no fault code for LPFP. There is a procedure that is very well analysed by Robbie on how you measure the LPFP. My addition to that is don't take those numbers as absolute number but read the other post as well.
if you eliminate the LPFP yes you can change the fuel pressure switch on the fuel rail but most likely won't make you smile. Most likely you ll have to replace the HPFP, it is not super difficult it requires some time but it is very straight forward job.

Post #18010077th Apr 2017 2:36 pm
dxa

Yes i know it can be one of those 3 things but i am sure having read there are ways to distinguish between the 3 rather than doing all 3 things and passing on the cost to the customer?

Post #18010817th Apr 2017 5:32 pm
dxa

And yes, now moving the car to another garage and having the HPFP replaced, having already lost time and money at the original garage and 2 weeks of my time being completely car-less!

Not impressed with this indie not doing proper DX work and just using the Landrover helpdesk and error codes, and process of elimination, instead of differentiating between LPFP and HPFP.

I also now have a scrap fuel tank replacing my totally functional LPFP, fuel burner and tank which i did not ask for nor want Sad

The sensor on the rails they tried to tell me was a common issue and should be replaced first. Funnily enough i couldnt find one instance on here where they were the culprit for low fuel pressure.

Absolutely steaming at these guys!

Am i wrong?

Post #18010837th Apr 2017 5:36 pm
urhunden

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

How hard should you tighten the fuel pressure sensor????

Post #18011767th Apr 2017 10:12 pm
KostasA

Greece 

dxa, the steps that i would follow if from the cheap to the most expensive. of course the cheapest thing is to change the sensor first and then check which of the pumps has the problem.LPFP is cheaper than the HPFP. of course one has to measure and see if the problem is caused from back to front. live data were not very helpful to me, instead measuring the LPFP is really straight forward.
Personally i misread the forum and changed the LPFP and then after having problem again changed the HPFP. In any case now can really retreat that as i am sure that all my pumps are working properly.

Urhunden, i don't know the actual number just tight it to the level i think is ok.

Post #18012328th Apr 2017 6:02 am
urhunden

Sweden 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4

Measured the system:

LPFP current at fuse. 4,3 A steady
Pressure at valve. 4,7 psi. steady needle going down with higher revs

from IID

fuel pressure at idle 3500 psi going up when pushing throttle
fuel rail temp 70 degrees

Are these values normal?

Post #18012388th Apr 2017 7:20 am
dxa

Thanks all

the garage did NO diagnostic to differentiate between LPFP and HPFP thats why i am Censored at them! i took the car to another garage.

Post #180194810th Apr 2017 11:25 am
davemh_80

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Replace HPFP? Replace FPS?

KostasA wrote:
dxa, the steps that i would follow if from the cheap to the most expensive. of course the cheapest thing is to change the sensor first and then check which of the pumps has the problem.LPFP is cheaper than the HPFP. of course one has to measure and see if the problem is caused from back to front. live data were not very helpful to me, instead measuring the LPFP is really straight forward.
Personally i misread the forum and changed the LPFP and then after having problem again changed the HPFP. In any case now can really retreat that as i am sure that all my pumps are working properly.

Urhunden, i don't know the actual number just tight it to the level i think is ok.

Hi KostasA, I'm looking for some info on how to remove/replace the HPFP. Looks like you have some experience with this. Is there a post or something you could direct me to on the topic? Also was wondering about the Sensor replacement. There is mixed opinions on this throughout the blogs - some say its integral to the HPFP. Others say its on the fuel rail which can be replaced. Can you advise? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Dave

Post #181542115th May 2017 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >