Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Losing coolant somewhere?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Losing coolant somewhere?

While out in Albania in our D3 TDV6 2.7 2006 model, the water housing (LR073372) that sits in the “V” of the engine disintegrated dumping the entire contents of the radiator all over the engine. We had this fixed at a local garage where they fitted a genuine LR part, and all was well until we reached the Italian/Swiss border. At this point the temperature gauge shot to maximum. So pulled over to let the car cool. There was no water in the expansion tank. So refilled with a lot of water while car was running. All was fine for about another 200 miles, where the same thing happened. I could not see any water leaking under the car. Checked the oil cap, and no water present. I figured out I could do about 100 miles and then top off, so avoided the temperature gauge hitting maximum.

We limped all the home to Sussex this way, which was rather painful. Now that I’m home I put a pressure tester on the expansion tank, pumped to 15psi, and left it overnight. The gauge did not move.

Took the car for a 20-mile drive to get it up to a good operating temperature and let the thermostat open. Came home released the pressure in the expansion tank and fitted the pressure tester. Pumped to 15psi, and I could now see the pressure drop at a rate of approximately 1psi per 6 minutes. But I cannot see any water leaking from any pipes, radiator etc. I stripped the inlet manifold to inspect the water housing that was replaced, and all looks good, with no water leaks anywhere. Double checked the oil cap, and cap still does not show any presences of water. Checked the oil level and still the same.

From this I deduced that the water is not leaking into the oil. Car still goes well, so I don’t suspect a blown head gasket or cracked head. Idle is smooth as well and no pressure is felt at the oil cap. There is no white smoke out the exhausts when driving and accelerating hard.

What are the possibilities of the EGR coolers leaking water into the exhaust? This looks like a nasty job to get to.

How is a compression test done on these engines? I have a compression/leak tester, but this is for a petrol engine so bolts into the sparkplug.

Any ideas as to where the water could be going, or has anybody had a similar issue?

Thanks
John

Last edited by John P on 21st Nov 2023 7:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #235344818th Nov 2023 3:50 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It may just be a case of an incorrectly bled cooling system, but if you suspect the egr's try removing the pipe to the throttle body (or blanking plate if you've deleted them) and see if it's wet in there!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #235344918th Nov 2023 4:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >