Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Add bass for <$200!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Di$comfort

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Add bass for <$200!

Like many Lr3 owners I was completely di$atisfied with the anemic bass from the Logic 7.
After trying to fit a few shallow mount subs in the stock tailgate (cleanly) I decided to go another route.
I saw that JL Audio makes a "StealthBox" for the LR3/4 that sells for about $600 that looks slick. It was just outside my budget for making me feel good about the purchase.
I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" MDF and spent about a day building my own.
I initially tried wiring to the stock amp but it did not even move the shallow mount R2 Rockford I had bought.
An amp is mandatory but turned out super easy to hook up and the results just blew me away.
The sub/amp combo is hooked up to a (provided) remote gain dial which really comes in handy. The bass is soo loud it hurts and I've had some amazing systems in my time. The dial sits on the center console just aft the EPB on the spare panel and spends most of its time at the zero level. I can adjust the level down when cruising with my kid or crank it when I'm solo being a dork or trying to impress my buddies. It's seriously loud and will move the rear view if listening to 2pac.
The remaining speakers fill the highs just fine and tho they could use some mid bass love, they really are loud enough for me. I was happy with the stock system other than the missing bass.
I'll post some pics of the build. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
This was a really easy build and could be done much easier.

The only major issue I ran into was deciding where to put it. Left rear would have covered the heater vent intake/exhaust so that was out. Right side it was!
Also, there is a locking pin that holds the third row seat in the down position. It will interfere with the box in this location. If you want your right third row seat to be usable you will either need to notch the box along its travel path or just remove the pin Wink.

No input converters needed, the amp has that built in. I grabbed the speaker signal from the
stock sub. Grabbed them from just inside the hatch. It's a minor trim panel to remove. Then I ran power for the amp from battery to cab through the semi hidden gromet/plug under the brake booster and under and behind the dash to passenger side (LHD). Then along/inside sill plates front/rear till I got to the stowage box in the the rear. From there it's wide open to the amp. I mounted that in the jack compartment which now lives under the second row seats.
You can grab a signal wire from any switched fuse behind the glove. I got my signal from the rear running
lights.
Everything is hidden and even upon deep inspection looks completely stock (other than the speaker box itself).

Get one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005C1R9CE/...&psc=1 ($65)
Get one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF6HYDE/...&psc=1 ($120)
Get some time and wire and build this.
 06' LR3 HSE_H/D pkg_D4 BT_Adrians RR nav mod_African Outdoor Bluetooth_GVIF_Rearview_BFGTKO2_  
Post #18120327th May 2017 6:09 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've read a number of posts about 'lack of bass' from logic 7 systems. I have no problem with mine, I think the audio is clear and more than adequate bass, any more would just show up the rattling panels more!
By the way, that rear seat belt must flap in the breeze by your speaker? Laughing

My only issue with Logic 7 is the ticking noise the cd transport makes.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #18120887th May 2017 10:42 am
Di$comfort

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Lol for sure. The fact that you still have CDs and think the bass is loud enough tells me your probably not the target audience for this mod Wink. I have a buddy who did not seem to notice the lack of low end frequencies in his. When he sat in my landy he was amazed. For me it's the idea of them stuffing a 10" sub in a compartment that offers zero response. The stock sub is isoberic and baffled not only by the loose, nonsealed and small box it's stuffed in, but also the Plastic backed carpet they put on top of it. The stock system is great, but if you sit in a 2017 Lr4 you will hear and feel the fail in design of the earlier models.
And yes you are correct. The seatbelt would rattle like that. The box is mounted with two bolts to the rear cargo hold down brackets now with the belt tucked behind.
The part that amazes me is that while I'm playing at what I consider to be LOUD levels you cannot hear or feel the bass from outside the car. No vibrations inside or out! I just wish there was a way to let ppl experience the difference in a video.
 06' LR3 HSE_H/D pkg_D4 BT_Adrians RR nav mod_African Outdoor Bluetooth_GVIF_Rearview_BFGTKO2_  
Post #18121547th May 2017 3:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >