Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Buying a Disco 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Saense

United Kingdom 

Braehead wrote:
As a family car i personally think my smax (had two) was better than the disco. My kids prefer the disco but mainly because of the RSE! There's more leg room for kids in the smax due to the sliding seats, the boot is much of a muchness but has more height in the disco. I'd always wanted a disco and now I've got one. Don't know how long I'll have it though. Nothing fundamentally wrong with it and I certainly prefer the look relative to the old smax but you get a lot of car for the money with the ford.

You certainly speak a lot of Sense there , The big plus points for me on the S-MAX are like you say : Lots of rear legroom, and the ability to put the child seats in the middle and outer seats, leaving an extra passenger seat free. Built in Sun-Blinds, Panoramic (but fixed) sunroof with electric blind , And the Economy is unbelievable despite the way i sometimes drive it Wink

robpenrose wrote:
I can see you get a lot of car for your money with an S-Max, however you get a lot with a disco as well.

Over an S-Max, you get a proper 4WD system, height adjustable suspension (for offroad use etc) and the highest towing capacity available.

The problem is a lot of people may never use the above, which sort of means they are wasted, and the above all need maintaining, which increases service and maintenance costs.

I can see why you may look to compare the S-Max to the Disco, but in reality, they are worlds apart. Thumbs Up

Got to be honest, looking at this, I do wonder if i'd be wasting a lot of the features, will need a towing vehicle but not immediately, probably not for about 18 months. Offroad is a maybe, depends on where we move to.

Certainly have a lot to think about, think the biggest point is going to be the lack of a middle isofix point. Are the rear seats all the same or is the middle smaller?

Post #180807926th Apr 2017 11:02 am
Braehead

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Of all the cars I looked at to replace my SMax (and I looked at a lot!) this was the best. The middle seat was the least compromised and there is little or no transmission tunnel to foul your feet. I've got three kids and the one stuck in the middle finds the disco better than the ford. The things I probably miss the most are the adaptive cruise control, lane depart warning and blind spot warning. Oh and a heater that works - search for that on here.

Post #180897128th Apr 2017 3:14 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

In bad weather, nothing beats a Disco (floods / snow etc). I've never taken either of mine off-road, but its got me home / to where I need to be in atrocious weather.

Also - Only ever been in a Smax for no more than 40 mins (in my mates on way to football) but I've driven my Disco's for hours on end non-stop - step out fresh as a daisy - superbly comfortable

Each to their own Thumbs Up

Post #180897428th Apr 2017 3:26 pm
Saense

United Kingdom 

Braehead wrote:
Of all the cars I looked at to replace my SMax (and I looked at a lot!) this was the best. The middle seat was the least compromised and there is little or no transmission tunnel to foul your feet. I've got three kids and the one stuck in the middle finds the disco better than the ford. The things I probably miss the most are the adaptive cruise control, lane depart warning and blind spot warning. Oh and a heater that works - search for that on here.

Don't have adaptive cruise on mine at the moment so wouldn't miss it.

The way things are going at the moment I may well not need to worry about anyone bar me and the kids being in the car but that's a whole different story.

Might see if I can knock the dealer down a bit, what would be reasonable without taking the proverbial?

Post #180945129th Apr 2017 10:41 pm
Saense

United Kingdom 

Think I've settle on a car now.

It's got timed-climate, but the salesman says this does not have a remote control facility. I thought the two went hand in hand or is that not the case?

Also, The leather seats in the back seem particularly slippery, any way to get rid of this as I imagine just something used in valeting the car?

It has two keys and Land-Rover salesman assures me the car can have no more made and is therefore safe from the OBD theft issues , am I being told the truth here?

Thanks

Post #18123528th May 2017 3:14 am
adeal3

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Timed climate and remote don't always go together but it's easy to retro fit the remote and Bodsy (forum member) can probably sell you the kit which you'll also need to get activated.

I can't help with the leather other than perhaps a clean with a decent leather cleaner.

I'm not convinced that the answer about keys is correct. I'd think if someone can get into the car they can delete a key and add a new one (if that's how they pinch them). At the end of the day if someone really wants it they'll probably find a way and the easiest way to make it harder is an old fashioned steering wheel lock.

Post #181460913th May 2017 2:52 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I paid £31680 for a 2014 xs 43000 miles on the clock from Landrover with 2 years warranty on it if helps any

Post #181462913th May 2017 4:02 pm
Saense

United Kingdom 

adeal3 wrote:
Timed climate and remote don't always go together but it's easy to retro fit the remote and Bodsy (forum member) can probably sell you the kit which you'll also need to get activated.

I can't help with the leather other than perhaps a clean with a decent leather cleaner.

I'm not convinced that the answer about keys is correct. I'd think if someone can get into the car they can delete a key and add a new one (if that's how they pinch them). At the end of the day if someone really wants it they'll probably find a way and the easiest way to make it harder is an old fashioned steering wheel lock.

Bit concerning that , Might invest in a Disklok just to give a visual deterrent. I know they've had a bit of bad press before but i'd rather they look and go "too much effort" than make a mess of the car.

Guess i'd better be looking into a spare wheel cover/lock too. Whats the score with them?

Post #181465313th May 2017 5:52 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Despite what Garry says and with respect, I think you're over paying.
 PAGODA  
Post #181467413th May 2017 6:37 pm
Saense

United Kingdom 

So I've got them saying £31,000 which includes 6 months tax.

There were a few bodywork issues which were a scratch , scuffs on both front wheel arches, and bubbling of the paint on the side steps. This has all been sorted through the Land Rover Bodyshop.

Offering me £11,250 for the S-MAX having just put it through a fresh MOT at a cost to me of £120 (New tyre Big Cry )

Am I being Had ? Not afraid to walk away , plenty of cars out there and in no rush to change.

Post #181469713th May 2017 7:05 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Walk away unless all issues are done & it comes with warranty, I looked for along time then decided I would pay a bit more and have a car from main dealership but it's yor choice

Post #181470513th May 2017 7:28 pm
Saense

United Kingdom 

They've sorted the paintwork completely and it does come with the 2 year land rover warranty , it's a main dealer car , they are 2 hours away from me if i have issues though!

Post #181472213th May 2017 8:24 pm
Dave T

England 

You can use any dealer with the warranty.

Have you tried WBAC or Evans halshaw for a price for the S Max, maybe get them to bias the numbers to a better discount but lower trade in, it could save you a grand or more
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #181472913th May 2017 8:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Saense

United Kingdom 

Hadn't thought about WBAC , have tried them and they say £11,600 ... Minus £75 Transaction fee , not much in it tbh.I think i've knocked the dealer down as much as i can and to be fair they have sorted the paintwork.

Last thing i'll push for is a full tank of Diesel as i have a long drive to get it back if i do buy it, and don't want my first trip to be to a Filling Station!! Laughing

Post #181474913th May 2017 9:33 pm
1967jester

Location: Usually in the North East though I have been known to travel

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Careful with USB, issues with anything above 64GB. 4 kids here & we use a USB stick with wi-fi so 3 of them can stream to iPad of one has the choice of watching the same as one of the others
 Paul.

06 Java Black HSE - gone
12 Baltic Blue HSE - gone
15 Fuji HSE Lux
Club Biscuits, mmmm nice!
Traxide/Luna hybrid & Yellow top
Some Prospeed bits
+ some other stuff
Club N.E.R.D.s. 

Post #181478213th May 2017 10:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>