Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

My 18 year old just had his 1st 'prang' & New mini
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Iguana

Ukraine 

BAZ8046 wrote:
Glad everyone is ok, cars can always be fixed.
Just be careful if you don't go through your insurance.
As the other party were hit in the rear they could come back for personal injuries in the future.
If you haven't notified your insurers at the time they are unlikely to accept the claim.
This could leave you with a big bill that you will be liable for.

Thumbs Up Yes all being done through insurance now
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #180556019th Apr 2017 9:21 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just watch out for his injury claim and how many people were in his car, my friends son clipped the back of a taxi with only the driver on board, no visible damage to the taxi but when the claim goes in he said he had four passengers with him and they are all suffering whiplash injuries. Twisted Evil Insurance company were not interested in the claim that he was alone and were just going to pay all his 'passengers' a 'standard' injury claim. Luckily after a discussion with the taxi driver he decided to withdraw his claim for injuries and damage to his car but it still went against the young lads insurance on renewal Confused
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #180557819th Apr 2017 10:13 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
From what you've told us...

Cosmetic damage only...no injurys
Police not involved.
May be solved knock for knock.

At 18 it's an ego buster when these things happen but a learning thing to keep his eyes peeled & drive defensively. As you get more miles & near hits under your belt it gets easier & safer. Usually.

The way you are taught to negotiate especially larger multi lane roundabouts in the Highway Code can catch other drivers out as you come to the near side lane on exiting the roundabout. I don't agree with what's in there.
My eldest argued with me about this pointing out the error of other drivers...I pointed out they were wrong & we still did or would bend again our car....just guessing here but it's worth tsliking it through with a sketch or an action replay.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #180563020th Apr 2017 3:07 am
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to see this and I hope all gets resolved Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #180563420th Apr 2017 5:46 am
al cope

England 

it wouldnt surprise me if that was a Cat D right off, as an uneconomical repair, as if it is an 02 reg Yaris it could be over 2k's worth of damage, by the time his colour coded bumper is replaced, hire car costs covered, then possible medical claim.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #180565320th Apr 2017 7:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

My thoughts also and on top of that the mini will also possibly be written off, not a good postition to be in
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #180565520th Apr 2017 7:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

Hopefully all sorted and quickly - but this claiming for 'injuries' is a nightmare - there was some bloke on this site a while back that asked for advice whether he should take a £3K 'injury' claim, openly admitting he was OK but it would pay for a holiday - he got a right (justified) slagging

On the other hand I smacked into a truck on the M32 in slow moving traffic - my fault - in my D4 - his claim was a princely £51 to replace the rear steps my Disco bent - so you never know

Post #180565620th Apr 2017 7:52 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

Russell wrote:
My thoughts also and on top of that the mini will also possibly be written off, not a good postition to be in

I think you are right Russell, I noticed last night that the door has moved and worried the chassis may be bent, the engine bay on the mini has also been pushed back a little in also Big Cry He loves the car and we had an argument last night that it may be scrapped, he insisting that they can't do that

Called Admiral last night, they are calling me at 8 this morning for full claim - I've already token a statement from him (Reminded me of my police days Laughing ), typed it all up in a document and included Google screenshots of the area/road and added notes to it photographs as well as damage to both cars

Just got to wait and see now I guess - thanks for your kind words all Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
&

MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'

Post #180565820th Apr 2017 7:58 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

if you think it's fixable and you have to go through insurance, ask for "cash in lieu of repairs". did that with my son's Punto a few years ago then got a local garage to do the work instead of the insurance company appointed one.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #180566120th Apr 2017 8:16 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Probably does not feel like it at the moment but the event may have done him some good. Minis are dreadful in any accident so the incident is a well-timed reminder that things can go wrong.

As for me I have yet to crash into any car or to be hit by anyone in my 30 years of driving. It took a deceptively flat, straight and well lit road with no other traffic in sight to form the backdrop of my one and only accident to date.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #180566420th Apr 2017 8:22 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Russel

I agree it's a real shame when what could be fixed relatively easily is written off.
Just because the insurance company does it that way. An admin thing.
Probably the lads prized bit of kit.

Quite a number of years ago happened to me on "main" family car.
Not major structural stuff (built like a tank Volvo) but cosmetic stuff along one side.
The surveyor said as he walked up "its looking tired" maybe a ten second view of one side.
Before the bump the car was immaculate. No dings, scratches or rust.
The deal was a right off, a settlement & I got the car back
The payout fixed it all.
I then re insured with the same company (Sun Alliance) at a lower rate....because I had existing customer discount.

I feel really sorry for the lad in this as one minute you have some Independance & trust in the system.
Then the bubble is burst which rattles his confidence.

One thing I do is make my two girls do all the driving when we are together - the amount of miles they've covered on continental roads, winter driving, towing, lugging loads between out two homes is a testament to thier responsibility on this. Seasoned drivers now, I have real confidence being a passenger with. OK I have to bite my lip now & then.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #180566920th Apr 2017 8:38 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

I know we had a big discussion around the mini when he wanted one, but decided in the end that he has to make his own decisions and we can't cocoon him, although I made him fully aware (Borrowed a friends mini) what they were like Rolling Eyes

Just finished the insurance conversation, they confirm that it was 'his' fault - will call repair people this morning to book it in for assessment. Insurance guy said that as it's a classic they will do their best to repair and not right off - Car is a black mini 30 edition, only 140 left on the road Sad

Will see what repairs say then see if anything needs to be negotiated with them Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
&

MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'

Post #180567620th Apr 2017 8:50 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Yep, there is no way to insulate young adults from risk and you did your bit by making it an informed choice. One presumes that my own teenage antics triggered a bit of angst in my parents (racing motorbikes, flying aircraft, small wars etc).
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #180568320th Apr 2017 9:02 am
adam

United Kingdom 

If there are only 140 on the road be a shame to make it 139 - got to be worth trying to safely repair?

I can imagine the conversations in 10+ years time between your lad and his mates / family 'Remember that Mini I used to have?, God I wished I'd kept it....'

Post #180568620th Apr 2017 9:06 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

Robbie wrote:
Yep, there is no way to insulate young adults from risk and you did your bit by making it an informed choice. One presumes that my own teenage antics triggered a bit of angst in my parents (racing motorbikes, flying aircraft, small wars etc).

Rolling with laughter I had one of the above Robbie, no wars though (Unless you count the fights I had in Morriston town centre with the 'English speaking Welsh' who didn't like us "Welsh speaking Welsh" for some reason) - also had car racing incidents on public country roads Whistle

I will be asking the repair garage to try their best to repair Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
&

MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'

Post #180569120th Apr 2017 9:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >