Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

speeding fines 2017
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

defector wrote:
Or invest in devices that make you more aware of their locations.
I think the Cyclops (possibly used by TomTom as well) speed camera alert community is quite good as it provides up to date and live alerts for Scamera vans etc.

I used to use a TomTom and while they fell behind in a few areas, their speed limit and Scamera warnings were first rate Thumbs Up I'd rather spend the money on people who helps us avoid inadvertently speeding, rather than those that simply take the money!

Post #180508018th Apr 2017 7:30 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

So, for those whose income is less than their expenditure, will the fine take the form of a payment?
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #180508418th Apr 2017 7:36 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I don't believe that they have an interest in your expenditure, just your income. So a single person, living with parents and earning £20,000 a year will pay exactly the same fine as someone with a family to support.

Just taken the recommendation and downloaded Cyclops Thumbs Up

Post #180510618th Apr 2017 7:54 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you earn more than £120 then its based on your actual income, if less than £120 or you are in receipt of benefits, its based on on £120

The fact is unless you are persistent offender, speed excessively, speed in high risk situation or challenge a fixed penalty notice and lose then this makes no difference, fixed penalties tickets are not affected by this.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #180511418th Apr 2017 8:08 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Tbh, it's the only effective way to curb speeding - make the penalties so horrific that peps won't chance it and those that do, only need to be unlucky once.

In honesty, there's no need for it. I moan about it particularly when I walk my youngest to school. The 20mph signs are lit, but I've seen drivers drive hell for leather at 50mph plus. Do these people realise if a child steps onto the road at that speed they will kill him or her and that will haunt them until the day they die?

They Council put speed monitoring equipment down for a month,and from the figures published, 70% were driving in excess of the limit, so Hell mend them. Evil or Very Mad

Post #180511618th Apr 2017 8:12 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, many of the cameras tend to arrive not where speed is the most dangerous, but where they are most likely to catch someone. On my trip to work, there are several stretches of dangerous A road and routes past a school, but the only place there is ever a speed trap is on the fastest and safest piece of road on the whole 25 mile trip. It's a dual carriageway, with no junctions, no pedestrians, no cyclists, no houses or schools, no parked cars and a central crash barrier. It's just over the brow of a hill and leading into a downward stretch.

I've never known of any accidents there, but it's conveniently only a mile from Bodmin Police Station and they must catch a few people who are still on the accelerator as they crest the hill.

Post #180512718th Apr 2017 8:25 pm
Mogwyth

I am no saint and will speed moderately when I think its safe to do so, however I will not speed when there is a risk of pedestrians, particularly children.
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #180512918th Apr 2017 8:27 pm
Luapno

United Kingdom 

I am in no way condoning speed, however, there needs to be a little common sense with this. To enforce a speed limit at +1 MPH over the limit is a little harsh.

This is going to lead to people driving along fixed on their speedo rather than watching the road ahead.
(unless you have a D5 with the head up display of course Rolling with laughter )
 When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. All of the pain is felt by others. The same thing happens when you are stupid.  
Post #180515118th Apr 2017 8:57 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The term "appropriate speed" needs to be pushed, not just the "speed kills" line. Sure big speed increases chance of injury and death on impact but the increased chance of impact is down to inappropriate speed.

Driving to the conditions is the most important thing every driver must do.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #180515818th Apr 2017 9:07 pm
Mogwyth

Luapno wrote:
I am in no way condoning speed, however, there needs to be a little common sense with this. To enforce a speed limit at +1 MPH over the limit is a little harsh.

This is going to lead to people driving along fixed on their speedo rather than watching the road ahead.
(unless you have a D5 with the head up display of course Rolling with laughter )

This is not about enforcement this is sentencing guidance for courts, completely different.
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #180516018th Apr 2017 9:12 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Same goes for...

Some other absolute offences..
Without insurance
Six points...minimum
Up to £8500..fines possible.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #180516618th Apr 2017 9:19 pm
Discoveringcomfort

England 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Luapno wrote:

So if you drive a vehicle built at the time of the +- 7% speedo accuracy C&U regulations +1 mph is not enforceable since it is within the law to drive with the speedo exactly on the speed limit not speed limit - 7%. The manufacturer is responsible for the compliance to regs during build. Hence the speed at the time of the offence has to be the adjusted speed in compliance with the relevant reg during build not the actual speed!

This was fine up until mindless cameras.
 Series 1 V8
Series 2 Hibrid V8
Discovery 3 HSE V8 

Post #180518218th Apr 2017 9:43 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 
Re: Same goes for...

BLFarrar wrote:
Some other absolute offences..
Without insurance
Six points...minimum
Up to £8500..fines possible.

If one watches the police programmes, all too often the git who drives uninsured gets a wrist slap and a ban. A ban they will ignore, of course.

One thing about speeding fines, you get to have a couple of goes at the driver without having to unduly inconvenience them or give them a criminal record (unless they are doing Warp Factor Silly). Nice easy cash cow for the Govt.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #180519818th Apr 2017 10:17 pm
anglefire

England 

Quote:
So if you drive a vehicle built at the time of the +- 7% speedo accuracy C&U regulations +1 mph is not enforceable since it is within the law to drive with the speedo exactly on the speed limit not speed limit - 7%. The manufacturer is responsible for the compliance to regs during build. Hence the speed at the time of the offence has to be the adjusted speed in compliance with the relevant reg during build not the actual speed!

This was fine up until mindless cameras.

My 40 year old Spitfire will be in this category - though to be fair, driving at 20mph feels really, really fast in it, so little chance of speeding Rolling with laughter
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #180520418th Apr 2017 10:23 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Today on A46 heading towards Evesham saw what I could only interpret as a 'trap'. About a Mike of dual carriageway had temp roadside signs indicating 50mph. No roadworks, nothing amiss, weren't there a couple of days ago.

Tucked away, not visible until upon it, in the service area a hi-viz cop car. Just round the traffic island a car pulled over by unmarked BMW motorbike with blues on.

As I said, looked like a 'sting' to me, plain and simple Evil or Very Mad

Post #180520918th Apr 2017 10:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >