Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Road trip Alert! D4 + D5 all around Ireland!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

There was hardly anything in it Ruben. The D5 launched slightly faster, it the 4 seemed to get a boost when it changed up to 5th.

When we hit the braking point we were dead level. If I had more cameras it would have given a better film, but I only have one, and it was mounted on the bonnet of the D4.

I angled it forward because I thought from the 2 days of driving across Ireland that the D5 would be in front!

Post #180610721st Apr 2017 7:52 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well we are home. Went quiet because we had little Internet and a wedding to attend! First of all congratulations to Mr & Mrs Holden (aka Bobbycrispbox) who invited us over to Ireland for their wedding! It was a fantastic occasion and we wish you all the best Thumbs Up

Now to the cars. We made a decent road trip out of it. Myself and AndrewS did just over 1000 miles, and had plenty of time for direct comparisons between the D4 and the 5.

I went into this really wanting to like the 5 and was pretty convinced that I would be getting one at my next car change which should be next year. I'm not going to best around the bush, I need to take some time out and really think about what I need, because as many of you gave all said, it's no longer an easy decision.

Performance wise, as seen earlier in the thread, there is not a lot in it. Andrew and I were really quite surprised at the side by side test, it was the same. We felt the mid range (50-70) was better on the 5 and it is a bit more urgent and responsive, but not a lot. It's good around the bends, but not much different to a D4. It's brakes were very good compared to the 4 (although my 4 has got another warped disk issue which spots it's braking performance)

Driver and passenger comfort was tested by a full compliment of gpforum members and wife's. We put Discostu and NoDosh in the rear 3rd row seats of the 5 for a journey of about 50 miles, and then put them in the 3rd row of the 4 to return. I'll let them describe the experience in more detail if they wish, but the unanimous verdict that the 4 is much better in the rear. Access was tricky for passengers in the 5. I think the verdict is that the 5 still does the job, but the 4 does it much much better.

Looks wise, it's a grower. I've followed it around for a good proportion of our trip, and I have to say that it seemed to get better everyday. I really like the front, and it's not so bad from the side. There is still a bit of awkwardness in the rear, but it's getting easier to look at. There is no doubts the 4 looks good too, but it's dated now.

Technology wise, it's brilliant! Loved the new screen, the apps, the electric seats, all good stuff.

Where I am really struggling is when it comes to the robustness of the car. There are some trim items that are very fragile. The bumpers are very flexible, the doors are incredibly large, and wrap right over the cills. Not only will test make any sort of aftermarket protection very difficult, it will stop you opening the doors when your in an off road situation, such as a deep rut.

There is no doubt it can do the off road stuff, but I don't think it's going to be as durable as we are used to.

Discostu told us that the big problem JLR have, is the weight targets that need to be met by each design team. They are all given maximum weights for their particular component, and it's all very tight to get the weight of the vehicle down. This means lots of things that were not an issue for the 4's designers are now a problem.

So, conclusion. It drives well, yes the steering wheel is thinner, but that's easily accustomed to. The drivers and front passenger are cosseted, in luxury. It's a great car to drive, not much faster if at all, than the D4. It is quieter though. I am really glad that LR have done away with the silly seam in the leather right down the middle of all the seats, it really gets on my nerves in the 4.

Looks wise, it's no beauty, but neither is the 4. In fact there are not any cars in the class that are beautiful. It's a car and has a function, that's what matters.

However, that function of been the Swiss Army knife of vehicles has been compromised. The superb rear seating layout in the 4 has been lost to a certain extent, they are harder to enter/exit. The rear 2nd row, is lower and narrower, but it is very comfortable. Electric seat fold is very useful.

The rear brake lights are small, but bright. I never had a problem seeing them in several hundred miles of following!

There is a lot of space under the bonnet, and a good foot in front of the engine. Hopefully for two or three more cylinders!

Boot space is fine, not as much as D4, but is ok.

Anyway here's some photos.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #180733724th Apr 2017 3:15 pm
Ja92mie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Great report! I really like them. I'm picking a D5 up on Saturday which I'll have until Tuesday so I look forward to getting my own opinion.

Post #180733924th Apr 2017 3:21 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Cheers. I forgot to mention, for the trip, my car averaged 29.8 mpg. Over the exact same route and the D5 averaged 33.7 mpg.

This was over a distance of 1000 miles, neither of us really trying for economy. Just typical Irish roads, with a bit of off road, and some motorway.

Post #180736024th Apr 2017 4:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Nice report Gareth ...balanced Thumbs Up 'Torn' would sum up my overall view....I too am struggling to hand over my cash ...though I wouldn't grumble if I was given one Laughing

Looks like I missed a great trip Big Cry
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #180737824th Apr 2017 4:59 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I would agree about the trim in several places being what I would call flimsy. In particular the area which I am struggling with at the moment is the inner wheel arch shields, these are no longer plastic but some form of spun/woven material a bit like horse hair. This makes it very difficult to attach other mudflaps such as series ones fitted to many D4's
As for the doors and the area they cover and protection. I would agree with that but am aware that Pro speed are making a slider that is very similar to the D4 that will bolt to the sill to give strength for off roading so will be interesting to see what they are like when they come out.
Fuel economy just seems to get better as the miles go onto it
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #180739624th Apr 2017 5:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

DG wrote:
Looks like I missed a great trip Big Cry

Me too. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #180740124th Apr 2017 5:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Russell, I will be interested to see how they do a tree slider without compromising ground clearance. The door bottom seems to now be well below the inner cill line, so in order to be able to open the door, they will have to mount very low.

Post #180740824th Apr 2017 5:47 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

50 to 70 the 5 will smack the 4's ass Thumbs Up Probably
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #180741324th Apr 2017 6:01 pm
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great info! Thanks for sharing. In looks the D4 looks like polished utilitarian SUV and the D5 like a Sport version of it.
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #180741524th Apr 2017 6:03 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

D5 looks very nice in this one:

Click image to enlarge

Post #180741724th Apr 2017 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Anyway let's not forget the other participants in most of the road Trip!

Discostu in his Jaguar XF-s which is a lovely car. If I can't have a Disco , I'm getting one of those! Superb performance from the 300 bhp TDV6, in a very lightweight car. Goes like stink. Love the electronic dash. Why the hell did they not put that in the D5 Big Cry Stu's car in blackberry with black wheels and red callipers looked the nuts Thumbs Up

Then there was Uncle Ray in his trusty D3. Despite the best efforts of the chavs in this world, throwing paint at it and scratching it, it still looks great.

Let's not forget NoDosh, who managed to hire a Nissan Quashqi (well it was either that or get the bus!) It was good he did bring it, as it was kind of like the old Morris Marina following threateningly behind the Top Gear adventure! Anyone not making it would end up in the Nissan Laughing This car made us realise how great the D4 and the D5 really are. No Dosh was worryingly quite attached to it!!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #180742024th Apr 2017 6:11 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Gareth wrote:
Russell, I will be interested to see how they do a tree slider without compromising ground clearance. The door bottom seems to now be well below the inner cill line, so in order to be able to open the door, they will have to mount very low.

This is the same issue that faces the old RRS. The doors come right down the cills unlike the Disco which stop well short. In effect, to make a slider you'll need to have a chunk of metal below the cill which will reduce under cill clearance.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #180742224th Apr 2017 6:24 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

So who was getting the ticket Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #180742624th Apr 2017 6:30 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter It does look like we're getting ticketed, but in fact the van was a Coastguard, and the big chap who looks like an officer is in fact Discostu, wearing his JLR EMC sponsored Wasps rugby shirt! 8)

Post #180742924th Apr 2017 6:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >