Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Hello and purchase advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
r21

United Kingdom 
Hello and purchase advice

Hi, I'm Rob (member of the other LR sites) and looking to purchase a Disco, it wont be our main car but will used as a run around for the kids, dogs and to go green laning - in the past I've had a few Land Rovers: Rangie, Defender and most recently a RRS but never a Disco.

Ideally I'd like a white or black one and I've got a few shortlisted on autotrader and ebay ranging from a 2013 ex police D4 to a 2007 D3. Does anyone have any experience of ex police vehicles, this one has 117K on the clock?

In regards to D3's - is there a specific year/ model to avoid or look for?

Cheers
Rob

Post #180389615th Apr 2017 5:52 pm
Stufea

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

If the D3 police one is anything like the rest of the cars the police use, it will be basic spec and have holes in the dash etc, good service history though. Seems like SE is a good choice, HSE is top but it does come with the standard leaking sunroof Laughing
Make sure it's had the belts done, 2007 onwards make sure the oil pump is done at the same time. Apart from that make sure you have a credit card SWMBO doesn't know about for all the goodies you will want to buy
Welcome to the mad house
 2006 D3 HSE
Java Black
Clock in Dash
3 Flash Indicators
V8 brake upgrade 

Post #180394215th Apr 2017 8:11 pm
r21

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply, I did some more research and not to upset any D3 owners but the improvements/ reliability offered by the D4 it seems a more sensible option albeit at an additional cost.

The ex police vehicle is actually a D4, I spoke to the garage and was told it had been serviced every 6000 miles but he couldn't tell me if the belts had been done and I should assume they hadn't - this put me off a bit. The car is here
http://www.cotswoldscarsandcommercials.co....4084200040

The other D4 I'm looking at is a dealer close to home, its another 2013 white GS but with leather and less miles but is 6K more
http://www.autobaydirect.co.uk/used-cars/l...3303850806

Opinions on these would be appreciated

Last edited by r21 on 17th Apr 2017 12:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #180403316th Apr 2017 8:08 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I think I would have the cheaper one.

Post #180405616th Apr 2017 9:34 am
r21

United Kingdom 

thanks Pete, any particular reason other than it is cheaper? I'm assuming the difference in wear on major components is going a fair amount with the extra 37k miles but then again it may have had more items renewed especially if it is a police vehicle.

Post #180406116th Apr 2017 9:51 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

What I'd be really interested in with the police version is the service history. If you get one owner and a complete service history, that's great and servicing on them tends not to be skimped on. If there's no proof of the belts having been done, it's still a cheap car with an £800 major service and belt change at an independent.

If leather is important (it's vital for me!), then the cheapo cloth here would make a great starting point for a leather re-trim (which is surprisingly good VFM).

My only concern would be electrical system and the work that they may have done on it. Check everything works exactly as it should.

The mileage isn't an issue - Highways England run these for 3 years and 250-320,000 miles!!

Post #180406916th Apr 2017 10:52 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ive heard and read some not so good stories on police vehicle maintenance, can remember reading one a few years ago where a police defender turned up to take part in a charity event and failed the scutineering on a major suspension issue.
Iirc crown vehicles dont need an mot either?
On the positive side when you come to sell there wont be to much depreciation as it will still be fairly current.

Post #180407116th Apr 2017 11:00 am
r21

United Kingdom 

I ran a car check against the police vehicle, there is a single MOT done in January with a recorded mileage of 120K, its advertised as having 117K so that concerns me. I asked about service history and was told it had been serviced every 6000 miles but he wouldn't commit to what had been done, I asked specifically about the cambelt and he said he thought they have chains.

In regards to electrics the dealer said it hasn't had the dash or headlining altered and it is as standard but looking at the picture of the gear selector there is what appears to be a patched up hole, however he did say though the rear seats in the boot had been removed but he could source replacements for £500.

At 16K plus £500 for rear seats, potentially £800 for service and cambelt, £1000 to have seats re-trimmed in leather that would put it at around £18K.

Post #180408316th Apr 2017 11:30 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Sounds like a lot of salesman spiel. If no paperwork to back it up, plus given lack of his knowledge on the mechanical side, I wouldn't be relying on it much.

Post #180408616th Apr 2017 11:35 am
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

r21 wrote:
I ran a car check against the police vehicle, there is a single MOT done in January with a recorded mileage of 120K, its advertised as having 117K so that concerns me. I asked about service history and was told it had been serviced every 6000 miles but he wouldn't commit to what had been done, I asked specifically about the cambelt and he said he thought they have chains.

In regards to electrics the dealer said it hasn't had the dash or headlining altered and it is as standard but looking at the picture of the gear selector there is what appears to be a patched up hole, however he did say though the rear seats in the boot had been removed but he could source replacements for £500.

At 16K plus £500 for rear seats, potentially £800 for service and cambelt, £1000 to have seats re-trimmed in leather that would put it at around £18K.

I think that you have,wisely, talked yourself out of that one. There are lots out there to choose from, inc on here. Don't just rely on service history as a guide to condition, look at any Invoices to see if all the main faults have been addressed, depending on where you live, one of the site sponsors may be able to check out a shortlisted vehicle for you.

Post #180408816th Apr 2017 11:46 am
Pete K

r21 wrote:
thanks Pete, any particular reason other than it is cheaper?

To keep the left over money for repairs, as you seam to need to on D3 and D4's

And should be serviced well, had the repairs required.
But was another poster has said, maybe not.

Need extra money for the 3rd row seats? Didn't know that the basic ones got them, and if you don't need um, don't pay the extra money

Post #180411216th Apr 2017 12:31 pm
Pete K

they look like special rear lights though ?

With a space by the reverse/fog lights for strobes

not a good example

Post #180411316th Apr 2017 12:33 pm
Projectblue

United Kingdom 

r21 wrote:

Police are not required to have MOT's per se. Some Forces do them, others don't bother. They do however get the equivalent inspection of an MOT, they just don't get the certificate. However the one thing I would be mindful of is the hours that car may have sat with the engine running and not going anywhere. It wouldn't be unusual for it to sit 2 or 3 hours with the heater on in winter or 6 hours at an RTC.
Then there's the accident damage..... Whistle

Personally unless it was stupid cheap I wouldn't take the risk. There is a reason they get rid before the warranty runs out.... Mr. Green
 D3 2.7tdv6 SE Manual - SOLD
Defender 110 2.4tdci - SOLD
Defender 130 2.4tdci - SOLD
D4 3.0SDV6 HSE 

Post #180426416th Apr 2017 7:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >