Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Brexit begins ***All conversation here***
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 20 of 295 <123 ... 192021 ... 293294295>
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I trust what will pan out..

RRSTDV8 wrote:

Our one chance, I think, is to turn back to the Commonwealth and try to use what little we have left to improve the lot of others. This is about investing in them so that might return the favour in future. It has to be done on the basis of a group of equals, however. If the Foreign and Commonwealth Office go in there with the usual condescending crap the UK likes to give "developing nations", we'll get spit in our eyes.

My hopes & thoughts are the countries nations & alliances we have to now negotiate on our own won't be hostile..

RRSTDV8 wrote:

Dropping Trident/it's replacement and using the money elsewhere would be a good idea. No need to be sat at the top table when you can't afford the tab.

I'm middle of the road as regards disarmament...yes money elsewhere in activities for good.
But the current fractious nature of world politics.....especially North Korea, a useless US president, state of Middle East, the not going away ISIS threat & no real benefits from the UN - we should all be worried.
In context Brexit is a side show....which will resolve itself to our benefit.
Independant Scotland a mere detail...not of any significance.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #180475017th Apr 2017 11:26 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

BL I love your blind optimism and naivety: 'Brexit is a side show which will resolve itself to our benefit'

How can you possibly know that? On what basis can you determine that? This is the problem with the Brexiteers, its all positive supposition without any basis of fact to support it. Rolling Eyes The one thing we know is that we don't know how it will pan out in the long run.

As for our negotiating position with the EU, I've never seen them so united!
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #180475318th Apr 2017 1:24 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: I trust what will pan out..

BLFarrar wrote:

RRSTDV8 wrote:

Dropping Trident/it's replacement and using the money elsewhere would be a good idea. No need to be sat at the top table when you can't afford the tab.

I'm middle of the road as regards disarmament...yes money elsewhere in activities for good.
But the current fractious nature of world politics.....especially North Korea, a useless US president, state of Middle East, the not going away ISIS threat & no real benefits from the UN - we should all be worried.
In context Brexit is a side show....which will resolve itself to our benefit.
Independant Scotland a mere detail...not of any significance.

We won't be the one to press the big red button first (unless Trump goes loopy and decides to strike first)

If North Korea press the button first, then Trident wasn't really a deterrent
I can certainly think of better areas to spend that £200Bn, despite the country having no money Rolling Eyes

Whatever happens, regardless of who presses the button first, the world is Censored
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #180476818th Apr 2017 6:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:
Flying into the airport over this vast industrial landscape made me really think how are we going to be able to compete with it.

RRSTDV8 wrote:
As for competing with China. We can't. Not a hope in hell's chance.

Maybe 90% of people in the world are inferior to someone else in every respect - there is nothing they can do as well as somebody else can - but they are still able to contribute because of opportunity costs. Even if that scenario applied to the UK (which it most certainly doesn't), there will always be an advantage for others in trading with us.

Moo wrote:
Having seen the press outside the UK and listened to those in the EU about our bullish, wind the EU up approach, does anyone really believe that Boris, Davis and Fox are the best people for delivering it?

No - I'd have Dan Hannan, Douglas Carswell and Steve Baker - but those three will do fine. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #180481118th Apr 2017 9:13 am
Riccardo

Portugal 

EU citizens are indeed leaving.

Of our closer friends most are leaving or getting ready to do it

2 in finance/banking are going to Italy next year and Switzerland this year, 1 in oil and gas is gone already to the Netherland

Curious to see where the EMA and European Banking Agency will go
 It takes all sorts (to make a world).

D3 HSE LHD gone but not forgotten 

Post #180481918th Apr 2017 10:22 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Moo..

Moo wrote:
BL I love your blind optimism and naivety: 'Brexit is a side show which will resolve itself to our benefit'
How can you possibly know that? On what basis can you determine that? This is the problem with the Brexiteers, its all positive supposition without any basis of fact to support it. Rolling Eyes The one thing we know is that we don't know how it will pan out in the long run.
As for our negotiating position with the EU, I've never seen them so united!

Always was an optimist...if you've got to have any philosophy - it's my my chosen route.
It works for me. Currently. Maybe with a hint of pragmatism.
I can't think of any other "guiding principles" that I could allude to...
Naive - not in the adjective sense (unaffected simplicity) but breaking things / issues / situations down into what we (or more importantly to what I can comprehend & deal with, at my tender age have some worldly experience, hopefully ruling out: childlike, credulous, dewy-eyed, fleeceable, green, gullible, ingenuous, innocent, round-eyed, simple, simple-minded, simplistic, uninformed, unsophisticated, unworldly, wet behind the ears, wide-eyed. (Word-Web dictionary definitions)

Brexit.
None of us know (brave statement I know) just what the Brexit talks will bring.
But:
Those in the EC we leave behind will want the best outcome for them, initially I would have thought led by Germany (which it most probably will be as "who's going to argue with them" & they do face a side shift move in politics anyway soon)
I don't think talks that bring about conditions will be as obstructive...I say obstructive as they can't be preventative "if it isn't this it will be have to be that". It is a route or a process that leads to an outcome.
I do realise Tusk is at the "helm" for a while & it's said that Poland are one of the big (bigger, biggest) potential sufferers in the Brexit happening
So - what hurdles can he put down ? Realistically.
Bigger exit fee ?.....this I see as one aspect of the divorce that is rooted in commitments already in place...surely in the negotiation we won't or shouldn't become more embroiled or committed financially. How could we be eligible for more ? If this is the case the "words on the bus" may have had elements of being factual.
Worse post exit conditions ?... we are leaving the four principle freedoms single market - that's been said already.
Censored up trade between Poland & the UK ?...they would stand to lose a lot on agricultural goods...look at your food labels - lots comes our way from there.

The EC will & should handle this collectively. Should.

Hierarchies......things have to be ranked some way in an order of importance
Being realistic there are other things happening in the world, that ranked against what I consider
local (Scottish - Independance moves....not an international issue matters mainly to Scots & Scotland),
Regional EC - Brexit.... matters to the UK as it's self determined anyway....not international, tied up with trade, , freedoms, movements etc

Other world matters have far greater significance.

International issues.
North Korea doing what they are doing with missiles, other weapons, diplomacy, status quo's, thier regional stability (always been frought between North & South Korea. Right now.
Friends & colleagues in South Korea see the issues as being currently critical, but not new.
They live in the shadow of the threat daily.
The despot who inherited the mantle of power there wants & needs to be seen as a world player not because they have resources (oil, minerals, technology) - they just have a means to have or make Armageddon weapons.
It's a strange alliance of China, The US of A, Russia that may have to work together to contain N.Korea.
It's maybe fortunate that North Korea is where it is sandwiched between China & South Korea so it can't have any territorial ambitions....other than invading S.Korea.
I always thought (maybe incorrectly) that China had more influence in North Korea, but it would appear, despite China dabbling on the world poilitics stage elsewhere thier immediate neighbour should be thier number one concern.. in my opinion.
Despite all my personal feelings about China & involvements abroad from them & influencing things (& not just trade domination/s) maybe a positive factor that they are now.

Middle East.
A complex situation without any involvements from the "West"....
- Territorial ambitions - two gulf wars.....I just wonder what would have transpired if these hadn't happened Saddam still there, Gaddafi still there....all seemed to have dubious link to the problem right now Syria. It was previously a bolt hole to escape to that could supply arms.
- Arab Spring meltdowns....that have swapped regimes that may not have been the best (for those who live there) replaced by unstable & fractured non democratic situations.
- (pseudo) Religious aspirations. A caliphate....far more than one country....with catastrophic incidents staged worldwide.
- ISIS....which goes into the vacuums created by regime change.....bad enough, tragic if contained there but it clearly isn't.... worries the hell out of me as it's totally indiscriminate.

But this thread is Brexit...we deal with what will bite us us in the Censored / be better than that first we have some degree of determination.
Here we are......Easter Tuesday, sunshine outside, relaxing here looking at many new shoots on my apartment verandah collection of plants....especially the Norfolk Isalnd Pines grown from seed....have you got space for a large tree ?

Censored me - now an election !
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #180482018th Apr 2017 10:38 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Click image to enlarge
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #180644421st Apr 2017 10:56 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

another 'reality' gem Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #180649922nd Apr 2017 8:13 am
stevep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
JLR admits being worried about brexit

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business...94246.html

Post #180653422nd Apr 2017 9:46 am
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
another 'reality' gem Whistle

It's not real until the fat man tweets; and even then.... Wink
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #180661122nd Apr 2017 1:22 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Take your pick:

Quote:
Unnamed Washington and European officials claimed the UK had been forced behind the EU in the queue to reach a deal with America.

Quote:
House Speaker Paul Ryan, the most powerful Republican in Congress, made clear as much in a speech in London on Wednesday.
He said the US was ready to negotiate a new trade deal with Britain but also wanted a strong Europe.
‘The United States stands ready to forge a new trade agreement with Great Britain as soon as possible, so that we may further tap into the great potential between our people,’ he said in a speech at the Policy Exchange think tank.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #180661722nd Apr 2017 1:29 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

alternatively Whistle

Quote:
Donald J. Trump ‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump Apr 19

#BuyAmericanHireAmerican
Post #180661822nd Apr 2017 1:33 pm
Riccardo

Portugal 

Reading this it makes me think it might actually be true Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Quote:
Mrs Merkel is said to have told senior colleagues that Mr Trump misunderstood the basic facts about the EU and trade, asking her 10 times if he could work out a trade deal with Germany before finally getting the message he could negotiate only with the EU.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-44...z4ez5FoOQ9

Quote:
A senior German politician was quoted as saying: “Ten times Trump asked her (Merkel) if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany.

“Every time she replied, ‘You can’t do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU’,” the politician said. “On the eleventh refusal, Trump finally got the message, ‘Oh, we’ll do a deal with Europe then.’”

Also makes you wonder what he means when he says that he supports Brexit Laughing Laughing Rolling with laughter
 It takes all sorts (to make a world).

D3 HSE LHD gone but not forgotten 

Last edited by Riccardo on 22nd Apr 2017 2:47 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #180663022nd Apr 2017 2:23 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just wonder if we are starting to see the beginning of the end with respect to the brexit lies that we can carry on regardless.

Post #180663622nd Apr 2017 2:44 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/795183...ambassador
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #180695523rd Apr 2017 12:33 pm