DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Faulty compressor? Error code C1A20
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hilux

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Faulty compressor? Error code C1A20

Hi everyone!
My '07 Disco started displaying the air suspension error a few weeks ago. The garage checked it, got an error code C1A20 but found no leaks, etc. They've cleared the code off the system and it was fine for a week or so, but now it's back, so they think it's a sign of a dying compressor.

What baffles me thou is that the error shows up only when the car is 'cold'. It's there in the morning and after 8 hours at work, but if I'll dive a few miles to the shop, park it there for half an hour, buy my groceries and start the car again, there's no error code at all. In my simple brains, a compressor can either work fine or not, in which case I should get an error every time I start the car and the suspension is lifting... am I missing something?

If it is a compressor going belly up, is it worth refurbishing, or should I just get a new one and be done with it? I've found a garage saying they specialize at fixing compressors and give a 3 months warranty for the fix. They'd do it for about half price of a new compressor from ebay installed and a quarter of one from official dealer. Worth it?

Post #179685928th Mar 2017 3:05 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Two problems I had with mine where the 70 amp link in the battery fuse box was loose and when I stripped the compressor the desiccant filter was solid (all the little beads were stuck together) and needed loosening up. Tested on the bench okay after putting it back I found the fuse link problem.

Post #179722929th Mar 2017 10:41 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

C1A20 - Pressure increasing too slowly when filling reservoir.

Quite likely to be caused by a hairline crack in the air drier cap between the two pipes. The compressor has to work a little harder on the first start of the day if some air has leaked over night and if the compressor can't replace it within a certain time then a fault will be logged. pull cover off and spray soapy water or a leak detecting spray on the drier cap while compressor is running. Replacement caps can be bought on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Discovery-Range-...SwuTxV9BN-
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #179730529th Mar 2017 2:28 pm
hilux

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks @Oswiperus. The problem has worsened since, the error shows up every time after a few minutes. Found a guy who specializes in fixing LR compressors, will go and see him after work today.

I've one more question - the battery light went on this morning. Could this be caused by the compressor working overtime and thus draining the power, or is this more likely an issue with battery or alternator itself and should be looked into first? It's about 40 minutes drive to the compressor chap, wouldn't want to get stuck on the side with no power or fried alternator.

EDIT: Went to the garage, the alternator was generating just 11 volts, yikes. Shocked

Post #17992663rd Apr 2017 1:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >