Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Follow up on my disco battery/ hdc/various faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sniper1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Follow up on my disco battery/ hdc/various faults

So as a follow up, i was still getting the low coolant level warning every now and then, and intermittent.
Then i got an Engine systems fault on the display, but no Engine warning light. At the time, i was accelerating, and a puff of black smoke out the back. But the car seemed to drive normally, albeit a little hesitant on pull away.
So i called JGS in kettering and they kindly put the disco on their Iid tool.

Now in the meantime on the journey there, we were driving the A509 at 60mph when it felt like i jad either a wheel falling off or a flat tyre, the shaking was quite bad, and as i slowed it remained the same. Accelerated and raked, no difference, so i got it to the side, and checked, no flats, wheels all ok.
I hadnt turned the engine off, so i got in and continued, with no shaking, no faults, nothing! How strange!

Ok so on the obd test, it showed a million faults (not really but a helluva lot!)
Mass air flow, map sensor, hdc, brakes, abs, transfer box, transmission, fuel pump, fuel system, etc etc.
There was also an Unidentified fault (which is helpful!)
He then checked the battery, and although it showed 12.2 v off, and 14.7 v running, it did drop to 9v when cranking.
He tested the mass air flow and Map sensors on the live data, and they all seemed to be fine, and he said if the maf was faulty, it normally shows on live data.
Assuming the battery was indeed causing issues, i went and bought a Yuasa 019 battery and fitted it (with lots of swearing, as the clamps didnt want to tighten on the new battery) and had the old Banner battery tested, it failed CCA at 900,800,700,600 amps and on,y just passed at 500amps! Banner batteries are junk!

So now its got a new battery, she seems to start much easier, less cranking. I havent driven her yet, so not sure on wether the faults will still come up, but at least its one thing done.

So, any thoughts on this, and any ideas on that bad bad juddering?

Post #179536223rd Mar 2017 4:49 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

A while ago now, can you recall whether the battery swap fixed the various issues?

I have HDC error message on startup, lack of Bluetooth memory and a slow take-up when starting the engine. Suspect it may be a battery issue.

Many thanks.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #202731110th Feb 2019 8:03 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Easiest way is to restart the engine after 10 minutes or so running, if the faults have disappeared it’s an under charged battery, first thing to show up with a weak battery is clock resets to blankety-blank.
If battery drops below 9v on cranking you will have faults.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #202731510th Feb 2019 8:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >