Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

A god given right?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:

Social security should be a safety net and not a lifestyle. There is too much crap about rights and entitlement and nothing on responsibility.

Amen to that.

Mcsimmo: Funny you should mention the guy who went to Australia on benefits. Last nights program had exactly the same scenario. Guy on benefits was going to Oz to visit his parents. He had a single person flat, and a car, dog etc.
He'd been diagnosed with a number of mental conditions inclu PTSD but was still an overweight, opinionated claimant who appeared to think his upkeep was somebody else's responsibility.

I just don't get it.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #18009317th Apr 2017 10:48 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'm not sure you can judge how someone comes across when they have acknowledged mental health issues. PTSD can be particularly harrowing and given that it is not a condition that can be visually identified we should give the benefit of doubt to the professionals who diagnose and treat patients.

Mental health has a stigma that is difficult to shake as it is. Gaining and keeping a steady employment profile is incredibly difficult.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #18009487th Apr 2017 11:43 am
mini8334

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
My pennies worth

My pennies worth: There are many good arguments for the benefit system.

However, I too agree that it is under strain and leveraged by many for the wrong reasons.

But you could argue that the government are the those responsible for ensuring our Taxes are spent within the Benefit System correctly. We are the people that vote the government in…

Now that people have taken the populist voting could the next movement be “Benefit Reform”? We have isolated immigrants. A majority of which are her for good reason. Next, we will look to strip down the benefits system for the minority that abuse it?

It does seem as if once us British have finished being frustrated with other groups that want something for nothing we switch fire to another. Is this a social issue? Have we been let down by previous generation that have reaped the reward of government borrowing their way out of a problem and now have a new generation that expect it on a plate?

Ultimately there is a couple of areas within that country that require attention: financial education, moral grounding, greater discipline (both at home and school) and role models that children aspire to be. Not Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Justin Bieber, World of Warcraft, doping Athletes and reality TV “Star”.

I am a long way from a lefty but I cannot recommend an easy fix the problem we are in.
Brexit will be interesting – Financial Turmoil? Financial Boom? Public Unrest? Terror Attacks? Deportations?

Or will Trump go with outright War with Russia – See how small our Military Budget is then …
Rant complete. I feel all of your Frustration … But its Friday and that make me smile Thumbs Up
 2016 D4 Landmark
Santorini Black
Removable Tow-Trust
Spare Wheel Guard

-------------
Previous:
2007 D3
TDV6 GS
Automatic
Blanked EGR
V8 Brake Upgrade
Harming Sat Nav Mod
Beanie Grill
De-Tango 

Post #18009837th Apr 2017 1:31 pm
Narpy

Robbie, your words are of course correct and any genuinely unwell individual has my total sympathy. I have had first hand experience of a particularly bad depressive illness so know only too well what the consequences and feelings can be.
I refer in my post to one particular individual who seemed to relish in the fact that his claimed illness had a label through which he was able to claim further benefits and thus underline his refusal to work. He seemed very well switched on, was vocal and very opinionated regarding his claimed position. He was shown walking his dog and having a great time in the outdoors and was openly delighted that he was off on a jolly to Australia for a month.

Call me a skeptic if you like, but the individual I witnessed showed not a hint of a claimed illness and certainly seemed wise enough to pull the wool over any overworked GP who had to assess him. Rolling Eyes
To him, that would have been mission accomplished as he jetted off on his long holiday.
In the same program there was a woman who was clearly in need, so rest assured, she won't be mentioned, but the fat lardy dog walker with enough opinion for all of us, will always be treated with suspicion when his claimed illnesses, appear to be very conveniently lined up for claiming benefits. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #18010567th Apr 2017 4:25 pm
john watson

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My suggestion on this topic.

Everyone's N I number is on their passport. Everyone out/in by a port of entry/ exit.

Out of the country for six week all benefits stopped.
Or
Your on benefits " sorry the benefits are their to help you get bye not to furnish a lifestyle " exit denied or if they insist on going all benefits cancelled there and then. Now let them wait 12 months before their claim can be reconsidered. Probably to much for the politicians to take on board.

Post #18010877th Apr 2017 5:49 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

problem with finding someone who's on benefits, deserves them, and isn't a t Censored t that winds us all up ... makes for poor television.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #18010967th Apr 2017 6:08 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

john watson wrote:
My suggestion on this topic.

Everyone's N I number is on their passport. Everyone out/in by a port of entry/ exit.

Out of the country for six week all benefits stopped.
Or
Your on benefits " sorry the benefits are their to help you get bye not to furnish a lifestyle " exit denied or if they insist on going all benefits cancelled there and then. Now let them wait 12 months before their claim can be reconsidered. Probably to much for the politicians to take on board.

It needs refining but I think there is merit in that. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #18011207th Apr 2017 7:36 pm
john watson

Could also extend it to the scam that is the car mobility scheme. If you need a car provided by the tax payer to improve the quality of life then how is it that it is not needed when on holiday abroad? There's a lot that could be done to cut the benefit bill if only the politicians would sit down and think about it.

Post #18011267th Apr 2017 8:15 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

so is Dull.....a little village in the middle of nowhere

Post #18011487th Apr 2017 9:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

john watson wrote:
Could also extend it to the scam that is the car mobility scheme. If you need a car provided by the tax payer to improve the quality of life then how is it that it is not needed when on holiday abroad? There's a lot that could be done to cut the benefit bill if only the politicians would sit down and think about it.

Haven't a clue how it works but know of someone that wasn't working and had a mobility car (not sure what the threshold for disability is but cannot for the life of me understand how they qualified despite having 'some health problems' - and I'm not trying to antagonise here, I know lots of disabilities are 'invisible' that qualify but I know this person).

They now have a 6 figure salary exec job but is still driving the same car - how does this work Confused

Post #18012608th Apr 2017 9:07 am
Narpy

The mobility side of benefits is claimed separately from other benefits. It's awarded for a set period of time but is not considered whilst calculating other benefits life Housing Benefit. Subsequently some see it as a great bonus payment if they can get on it. Rolling Eyes
To get a car, the claimant must be awarded the highest component of mobility ( it has 3 different levels of payment depending on the severity of mobility incapacity ) and the claimant basically signs over their mobility payment in exchange for a car, road tax and servicing plan.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #18012718th Apr 2017 9:36 am
john watson

Seems strange to me that the recipient does not need to be capable of driving a car. Around her it's family members that use it for their own personal use. Are no checks ever carried out?

Post #18013198th Apr 2017 12:42 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Doesn't matter after who drives it, its for said less capable persons benefit
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #18013418th Apr 2017 1:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Narpy

That's true, a claimant can nominate a few drivers.
The car however, and this is the bit that often gets abused, should be used solely for the claimants needs. Your nominated driver going on holiday or using it to travel to work etc. is not allowed under the scheme.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #18013528th Apr 2017 2:37 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I say just give them the money instead and they can choose how to allocate it. There might be more efficient ways of providing people with transport - particularly in cities, where I can imagine an "Uber Disabled" type set-up could be established. Being able to pay for the use of friends' vehicles might be more effective for those who can't drive themselves (and don't require a modified vehicle). We should mostly try to minimise any extent to which we are prescriptive with the welfare state, and leave the job at simply providing funding (where it is warranted). Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #18013568th Apr 2017 3:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >