Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

opinions of the discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
tcr4x4

United Kingdom 

My wife at first wasn't convinced. After all I still have a disco 2 so didn't actually need a D3.
Need and want are two very different things though. Laughing

Now the D3 is a part of the family, the wife even actually enjoys driving it , which was a huge surprise.

Yesterday I took the father in law to pick up his petrol lawnmower from the service place, fit perfectly in the boot with room to spare.
He was quietly impressed even though he's often said no one needs a car that big.. yeah, until you need to move something for him, then he's all over you. Rolling with laughter

Did an IKEA run with the wife and mother in law last week, again, even with multiple ikea boxes, still loads of room in the back, MIL liked the rear heated seats and raised seating to see where we going.
Nephew loves it, although he has yet to be driven in the d3, every time we see him he wants another go in the D2!
His dad looks at me with envy every time we visit. He wants a d4 but his wife won't let him. He's stuck with his 2005 plate Audi estate which he bought from new after she told him to sell his Nissan 350z as it wasn't family friendly.

We go camping with them once or twice a year, and they take two cars.. there is only 4 of them! Two kids aged between 7-10 and them. They claim they can't fit the kids and all the camping gear in one car.. that's the Audi and a Toyota RAV4.

Get a disco I say!

Post #179302118th Mar 2017 12:15 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I persuaded my father to buy a new Discovery. So our first was a brand new Discovery 200 tdi in the first week of 1993 and we've had Discoverys ever since, over 24 years unbroken driving Discoverys. I can't see anything else that I'd change to.

Post #179305118th Mar 2017 2:25 pm
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The Disco belongs to SWMBO and she loves it.
I have always prefered small cars, but usually drive the Disco for long family trips or towing the caravan and it's a nice car to drive, but I wouldn't choose one as a daily drive.
 Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #179306818th Mar 2017 2:54 pm
Slobbox

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Love mine what else is there that can carry 5 people a dog and all the luggage with so much ease. When looking for a car last time it was SWMBO who suggested another Discovery who was I to argue Very Happy
 Stephen
Jag XF 3.0l Premium Luxury
2006 SE, De-Tangoed, EGR Blanked 

Post #179307218th Mar 2017 3:03 pm
bobupndown

Northern Ireland 

Im still in a D2 and just on here for inspiration and advice on what to look for when I finally upgrade.
Had it for 10+ years and it really is part of the family. Will be a sad day when it finally goes. Eldest son has grown up with it, youngest was brought home from hospital in it (he's turning 10 soon).
Being a silver facelift Landmark and well looked after/ cleaned / polished regularly it still looks like the premium classy vehicle it was when new.
Tows anything anywhere, great seating position, comfortably covering motorway miles. Been to France last 3 years towing twin axle caravan and same planned for this year.
Did have a £1600 bill last week though for clutch, flywheel, fuel pressure regulator replacement Shocked , but thats not normal and doesnt cost me much at all these days.
Love it!
 2004 Discovery 2 Td5 Landmark
2013 VW Tiguan Tdi 4motion
1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe 

Post #179717129th Mar 2017 6:51 am
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I went from a DII to a D3 and everything you think is good about the DII you multiply by a factor of 10, it is simply better in every aspect.

I have owned Land rovers for a long time, the wife despite growing up with LRs and learning to drive in a series II, wasn't a fan of the Series and 110 CSWs I had but the kids loved them, since moving on to Discoverys the boss has now come round and now thinks of them as part of the family.

The D3 is simply the most versatile car we have ever owned, it works for a living pulling livestock trailers, it scrubs up good enough to park outside posh hotels, can carry a good load or 7 in comfort, towing our TA is a breeze and mine being a V8 it can pick its skirts up too.
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #179720529th Mar 2017 8:27 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I think my wife and kids love and loath at times.

I'm 31 now and I've had a land rover of some description since I could drive, I now have three, so as you can imagine, I spent a bit of weekend time maintaining my beloved machines.

They love the fact we can all get in comfortably (me, the wife & kids are 11, 8 and 1) we drove down to Chamonix last week and were all happy for the whole journey. my wife and I in the front, daughter and 1yr old in the middle and the 8yr old boy in the boot so that everyone had ample room.

I think my wife struggled with the size to begin with, going from a Freelander 2 to a Disco 4..

It pulls our fully laden horse box effortlessly as we're out most weekends and the evenings in the summer.

I love the fact I can still do at least some degree of maintenance, even if its just the brakes and oil changes etc. I shudder to think I would have a car which was totally relied upon by the dealer as I really don't trust anyone else..
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #179720929th Mar 2017 8:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >