Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Buying advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
taffrican

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Buying advice

Evening gents, the mrs currently owns an '05 D3 which has been a pretty good car with only a few little jobs needed during the time we owned it, brakes, front hub....
She is now hell bent on trading up to D4 HSE model, haven't found one yet, the search continues Whistle , is it worth the ££££ upgrading? what should I look out for when I go through the tyre kicking Laughing phase? any recommendations/tips ?
thanks in advance Bow down
Mike

P.S. I'm a TD5 Defender 90 owner and feel like I've won the lottery when driving the wife's D3 Rolling with laughter

Last edited by taffrican on 17th Mar 2017 10:37 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #179203516th Mar 2017 12:15 am
Appledown

Don't forget to check out the XS, especially the 8 speed with rotary selector.

Post #179239116th Mar 2017 11:12 pm
Snowman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If she's hell bent on the upgrade , best get on with it IMO.

Your other option, is a private plate and a D4 facelift and get the D3 detailed and see if she notices.

Thumbs Up
 Andy.

Series 3 SWB Wagon OEC614Y sold
Discovery 1 50th Anniversary Edition S882 BMA sold
Freelander TD4 ES Y615 YEC sold
Freelander TD4 Kalahari NX53 EVH sold
D2 TD5 XS 2003 YF03 WVW sold
D3 TDV6 2008 SE 

Post #179239616th Mar 2017 11:23 pm
taffrican

Appledown, funny you should mention the XS, we are hopefully going to see one early next week, what's the deal with the XS? not quite an HSE but still has some of the features, are they a good spec?

Snowman, believe me, if I could get away with sprucing up the old D3 I would, but she would definitely notice Laughing

Post #179239916th Mar 2017 11:31 pm
Appledown

When I went on My Landrover Experience day a few years ago the instructor referred to the XS as the "thinking man's Discovery".... I asked him to explain and he said you get everything you need from the XS without the bling. Same engine, same gearbox, etc but without the soft leather, sun roof(s) etc etc.

Take this with a pinch of salt as I've no doubt that he would have said something completely different if 'd been driving an HSE!

Post #179248417th Mar 2017 10:21 am
bammmy

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have a 13 plate XS, it's got most of the toys needed, leather, sat nav, front and rear parking sensors, heated seats, auto dimming mirror, rain sensors and auto headlights. Can't think what else I NEED as opposed to what I WANT, great spec for me, any more questions, fire away.

Post #179250117th Mar 2017 11:01 am
hilly10

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have an HSE and the first thing I missed / noticed when getting into the XS during the LRE was the sunroof, it was so closed in.
 17 Golf GT TDI Tornado Red
BMW 5 Series Touring

New Toy 1974 TR6 Memosa Yellow 

Post #179258517th Mar 2017 2:09 pm
bammmy

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Now I agree with that! You do get used to being with out but it's not the same as having one like I used to have 🙁
Mark

Post #179259617th Mar 2017 2:31 pm
fastnslow

United Kingdom 

I am in process of buying D4 Hse and main thing I was missing in all XS spec cars I have looked at was memory seats. In my view its must have option with electric seats and in the car which is shared in the family.

Post #179260717th Mar 2017 2:57 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Appledown wrote:
When I went on My Landrover Experience day a few years ago the instructor referred to the XS as the "thinking man's Discovery".... I asked him to explain and he said you get everything you need from the XS without the bling. Same engine, same gearbox, etc but without the soft leather, sun roof(s) etc etc.

Take this with a pinch of salt as I've no doubt that he would have said something completely different if 'd been driving an HSE!

Well just in case you missed his point.
Stupid cheap perforated sunroof blinds useless if regular occupants have skin cancer issues (see what the medics say you might be surprised). Thank goodness it's a headlining insert on the D5. Superior quality sunroof assembly on my previous KIA Sorentos, 3 Discos ago.
Panoramic roof pointless in real world use, especially if the local dump operatives have set the barrier too low! Rather expensive to replace, try arguing that one with Autoglass.
On my third XS with electric seats (non-memory), which mean armrests, can be found with xenons and fairy lights, timed climate, heated wheel, reversing camera, piano black trim everything you need but with a solid roof, therefore no soggy carpets or failing electronics due to water ingress filling up the right hand sill.
Everything else is a level playing field unless you want 360 deg cameras and lights under the mirrors.
You pays your money and you makes your choice but for me there is no contest.

Post #179281417th Mar 2017 9:47 pm
taffrican

Many thanks for all your input and opinions, all greatly appreciated...
We picked up the D4 today, XS spec, very impressed, our firs auto-box since our Skyline back in SA, and what a lovely drive it is and very responsive, it has the 8 speed box, arm rests and I was very suprised to see the command center screen even played dvd's Shocked never had that before in a car. Overall we are very pleased,BUT... there's always a but Rolling Eyes
the wife asked the LR dealer to get the rear windows tinted which they got done at a whopping £360
Shocked Shocked Shocked and I am no tint expert but we had the same thing done on our D3 and there were no bubbles or dust under the film, this time there are3 windows that have bubbles under the film and 2 of them have dust spots, not too happy about that and I am seriously thinking of going back and having a word, problem is, I'm not very diplomatic (maybe cos I was dragged up in South Africa Laughing ) and I know I will lose it like the time they told me the quoted me the wrong price on Freelander service AFTER they serviced it... that escalated very quickly and they backed down. But I think they should put it right, what you guys think?
Another minor bug bear was the car was nice and shiny on the outside, apart from 4 oily hand prints on the bonnet from slamming it shut, but when we got home I lifted the bonnest and the engine and sides of the engine bay were full off mud dust as can be seen in photo's, looked terrible, not a very good impression on their valeting skills.

But still love the car Thumbs Up

Post #17984561st Apr 2017 1:08 am
SafariDave

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Wish I could get the D4 in the US without sunroof. But yes it should have no bubbles and they should have cleaned the engine bay .
Dave
 D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey "The Rhino" (our NYC D3)
De-tangoed Headlights, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille, D4 19" Wheels/ Bridgestone Alenza
D3 2005 V8 SE Bonatti Grey, D4 2016 Style Black Pack Grille (our LA D3)
D2 1999 V8 SD7 Chawton White (our Caribbean Beach truck) 

Post #17984611st Apr 2017 4:52 am
Appledown

If I were you I would go back and complain about the film and the engine bay. When I bought my D4 from a LR dealer it was pristine throughout including the engine bay. IMHO the buying experience should be a momentous occasion, not one to leave a sour taste in the mouth...

Post #17984851st Apr 2017 8:47 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

but the "dirty" engine bay make you sure that the engine has no fluids leaks or other things wrong....

Some times the car without "make up" show you the real state of the car....
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #17984921st Apr 2017 9:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sniper1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

I agree with dgardel,

Deffo go back and have the tint done PROFESSIONALLY, theyre a dealership for gods sake.,

As for the engine bay, id rather it be like that. You can see its not been dressed up to hide faults, leaks and replaced parts,
And secondly, a lot of dealerships steamclean engines, and then weeks later faults start due to water ingress,

The engine bay is fairly water proof, but dousing it has never been something im a fan of.

Post #17985111st Apr 2017 9:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >