Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Rising Parts Cost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Rising Parts Cost

So the other day I dropped my discovery into my local Indy, I had what I thought was some bearing noise from the back. I then found out it was my rear diff and prop shaft worn out. The parts price was eye watering..
I didn't have the work done that day as I needed it desperately for an unavoidable trip. My local Indy is a very nice guy and was happy if I wanted to sorce my own parts to cut the cost.
I did a few searchs and came across talk of £350 differentials.. not so bad I thought.. and got on the phone to a few suppliers.
Some quotes for the rear diff alone were £2000 Shocked
I shopped everywhere and finally bought one for £600.. identical part numbers to the £2009 one.
How can there be such a massive varence in prices?
My parts bill came to £1200 in the end but that's going to rise as Ive an air leak somewhere to be addressed.

I sure do miss TLO.. Thumbs Up

Anyway this afternoon I dropped my discovery back over for the work to be done.. fingers crossed this gets the drone noise sorted Thumbs Up
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #17893919th Mar 2017 11:14 pm
King Java

United Kingdom 2006 LR3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Yes they sure are !

Part of the reason I decided to purchase my D3, was because historically, the cost of parts on the Discovery were still reasonable. And indeed they were to start with.

That changed approx. 3 years ago. I can't remember if they went up after TATA took over, or just before. I just remember that when I enquired about some replacement locking wheel nuts, the cost was about £50, overnight they had increased to about £105 Shocked Evil or Very Mad

Excuse was that they had changed manufacturer/supplier. Yeah right ! So you just threw all the other one's away did you !!! More like made a killing by treating your customers like rich idiots.
They were not the only parts to suddenly double in price upon hearing others on this fine forum.

I ended up buying standard wheel nuts (recommended anyway) as I wasn't going to be ripped off by those corporate greedy Censored

As mentioned by others on here, I will never buy another Land Rover after eventually selling mine (unless I win the lottery) LR are pricing us mere mortals away and aiming their sights too high for me. They have broken my pocket and I'm losing respect for them. Such a shame as I love my D3 blub:

KJ

Post #178989211th Mar 2017 8:58 am
df_tom

Germany 

Sure finding this out as well, but to be fair: it's the system, man. And it also affects other brands.
Obtaining a throttle body for my (now my ex.) tiny citroen though proved impossible, really.
I've had less trouble sourcing parts for my 40+ year old Pinzgauer than for this little beauty.

At least now i know why the disco is a disco: Original Landrover material spec: liquids to be made out of "unobtainium" and the rest is made out of "discontinuum".

Post #179549123rd Mar 2017 10:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >