Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Stall problem (A Real Head Scratcher)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
oblackmer

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Stall problem (A Real Head Scratcher)

Alright guys I have a stall problem and it's not the typical stall problem. So far it has everyone scratching their heads, so I do hope there are some answers or advice out there for it.

It all started around May/June of last year with only being a quick stall while driving. So quick the engine didn't have time to turn off. What happened was I was driving along and then for a split second the battery and engine light flash and the rpms dropped then just as fast as it happened it went away and I carried on. I thought maybe it was just an intermittent issue or my eyes were playing tricks on me or perhaps it was the traction control. I didn't think much of it since it happened so quick and was a everyday occurrence.

Then it happened again. Then again and again.

Fast forward to 2017 and now the stalling happens everyday every time I drive. It's gotten so annoying that I don't feel like even driving the LR anymore but I can't stay away from her Big Cry Again the stall is only for a split second. So driving along and then battery and engine light flash and at the same time the rpms drop quickly and then back up to speed again...on and off this way for the last 5 months at least.

The list of work 10 months related or unrelated

- Intercooler change
- Intercooler hoses change
- Front and Rear Diff Oil Change
- Transmission Flush with Metal Pan
- Transfer Box Oil Change
- Axle Boots replaced
- Steering Rod kit for both sides
- Air Filter
- MAF Sensor
- Fuel Filter x 3 (LR and a Indie thought a fuel problem)
- EGR's have been blanked including software patch (year ago)
- Checked battery terminals, ground to chassis, other grounds in engine bay, ECU's, Relays and Fuses and volts and ohms..all ok and all still look brand new.

Checks using a IID Tool

- No major Faults and/or usually no faults
- 2 times had a MAF sensor fault that stated circuit error overload (?) hence replacing the MAF. With the new one I then again had this fault show up again only once.
- Monitoring the engine relay while parked and it showed the engine off when it was on then off and then on all awhile the stall was happening. I put the RPM's up at around 1800-2000. First time the stall happened while parked but only with the rmps up to about 2K. Again put the rpm's to 2K and the LR cut off. Had to restart.
- Limp mode 3 times while driving but no faults or Christmas tree lights on the dash.
- Once the Disco completely turned off when I was driving, radio, satnav everything...then all came back on without restarting the vehicle.
- Injectors are good
- All other monitoring showed everything was good.

I have monitored the vehicle while driving and had the tool be on the graph and when the stall happens all it shows is that fuel and air drop off and then quickly go back up to a steady stream. Basically it looks like a heart monitor when the stall is happening instead of "flat line".

Have brought it to LR to which they think it could be a ground connection somewhere. This was after replacing the Fuel Filter and MAF. Other than that they don't seem to know.

I'm currently in Italy and wont be able to to bring the Disco back to the UK until this problem is fixed at the very least besides don't want to risk not getting very far. They have a really good LR dealership here and that is where I have brought it to. They have contacted the UK so they say to which no one seems to understand the problem. The really really good Indie here suggested the Fuel rail but I'm not sure.

So far its just been a lot of time and money (which I don't have) to sort a problem no one has a clue about. It's been a long road to no where.

If anyone has any other solutions or advice etc please let me know. Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #17853491st Mar 2017 10:06 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds to me that there is a problem with the info. from the MAF. If ECU is told no air flow, it will cut the fuel. Poor connection, break in a wire etc. Might be work tugging & moving the harness round the engine bay to see if you make it cut out.

Post #17854311st Mar 2017 1:57 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds nasty. I would agree that due to the apparent thorough search for issues so far, you are looking for a bad connection or damage to wiring somewhere.

My brother had a similar problem with his RRS, it would cut out randomly, but his displayed an engine system fault error. It was traced to a chafed wire behind the battery, where it had been rubbing against the battery box.

Post #17854391st Mar 2017 2:24 pm
oblackmer

Thanks for the reply guys. It is a nasty one for sure. Have checked wires and connections in the engine bay and all seem to ok. I have yet to tug on the MAF harness to see if that does anything. Again only twice in about 10 months have I had the MAF sensor code basically saying something about power or parameters is to much. Once before the replacement and once after.

Today I drove the Disco hard in manual mode for about 20 mins at about 3000rpms only up to 4th gear and the stall became less and less until it stop stalling completely and then I put it back in auto and no stalls all the way home. Question

I don't know if it's just a coincidence though. Will see what happens next time I drive it.

Catalytic converter clogged? O2 Sensor? Seems like it could be anything at this point.

I did drive a few months blowing tons of black smoke with no power (during the current stalling issue and thought it was related) when the intercooler and hoses ended up needing to be replaced. Maybe all that smoke etc clogged something? Changing the intercooler and hoses did nothing to rectify the stall.

The disco has been driven just to the shop and back over the last few months because of the stall issue. Don't want to go to far.

Post #17854451st Mar 2017 2:45 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Stall problem (A Real Head Scratcher)

oblackmer wrote:

I'm currently in Italy and wont be able to to bring the Disco back to the UK until this problem is fixed at the very least besides don't want to risk not getting very far. They have a really good LR dealership here and that is where I have brought it to. They have contacted the UK so they say to which no one seems to understand the problem. The really really good Indie here suggested the Fuel rail but I'm not sure.

So far its just been a lot of time and money (which I don't have) to sort a problem no one has a clue about. It's been a long road to no where.

If anyone has any other solutions or advice etc please let me know. Bow down Bow down Bow down

In which part of Italy you are? Land Rover is the best workshop in Bassano del Grappa (VI Vicenza provinces)

I'm in Venice if needed call me, I sent to you my mobile number via PM

Daniele
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #17860862nd Mar 2017 7:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oblackmer

The fault that has shown only twice even with a brand new MAF

P0101-17 (68) Mass or volume air flow - circuit range/performance - General electrical failure - circuit voltage above threshold

(Update) Today I unplugged the MAF and went for a drive. No change to the vehicle stall. Still stalls. No smoke with the MAF being unplugged and also there was lag up to about 2000rpm then drove fine besides the stalling.

I think I can omit the MAF to being the cause.

Graph showing the drops when the Disco starts to stall.

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #17862062nd Mar 2017 10:51 pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Im no expert on this, but I believe the maf sensor plays a role in the operation of the EGR valve, I notice you had the EGR's blanked and ecu patch done, and from your timescales in the original post is around the time the fault started to occur.
Maybe costly but you could reinstate the EGR's and remove patch and see if the situation improves

Post #17867114th Mar 2017 8:22 am
oblackmer

Thanks for the reply Johnlad...The EGR's were blanked actually about 3-4 months prior to the problem starting. Don't think it would be the EGR's but every idea/thought is welcomed. Thumbs Up

Post #17867594th Mar 2017 10:18 am
nunosousa

Portugal 2005 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

did you find the problem?
i seem to have the same problem

Post #200900614th Dec 2018 10:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >