Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

White plastic on rear control arm bushes: functional or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DVD

United States 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
White plastic on rear control arm bushes: functional or not?

I’m in the midst of a big job to replace all 8 control arms and other rubber suspension bits (arb bushes, droplinks, etc.). My question is about the hard white plastic bits on the rear, forward-most control arm bushes.
While installing the last rear control arm, I placed the new one next to old for a sanity check and noticed the plastic pieces are missing from the forward bush on my new rear upper control arm. Here's a photo of just the bush that shows the white plastic pieces in question.

A couple photos showing the old rear left upper arm with the (dirty) white plastic pieces next to the new part that is missing the white plastic pieces.

I contacted the vendor, and the response was that those white pieces are packing pieces and should be removed before installation.

Perhaps my communication to the vendor was unclear, and before proceeding, I want to check the collective wisdom of this group. I find it odd that:
* The take-offs are original from when the vehicle was built, and they have these white plastic bits on the forward bushes of both upper and lower rear control arms (i.e., 4 out of 4 bushes all have this). On the new replacement rear control arms, only 3 of 4 forward-most bushes have these bits. If the vendor is right, I should remove those pieces from the bushes in the new rear control arms.
* The white plastic bits are pretty beefy; they don’t seem like throw-away protectors.

Post #178510628th Feb 2017 6:15 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

They should be present and fitted to the bush when the arms are fitted Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #178517428th Feb 2017 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DVD

Thanks for the confirmation Thumbs Up

Post #178517728th Feb 2017 8:20 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Those 'white' inserts are part of the bush and not mere packing. As I understand it, and I could be incorrect, they have a function as a bump stop. If you need to, move the old one over to the new arms/bushes.

Post #178517928th Feb 2017 8:33 pm
DVD

Thanks for the info, Alpha. I've read probably every post on the topic, and I recall reading something about the bump-stops on some bushes, so your thoughts are probably correct.

I hope to get the replacement parts. I'm undertaking this effort to get a "like new" feel, and while I could re-use these "bump-stops" from my take offs, they are 12 yrs old with 152,000 + miles on them. They feel softer than the peer new bump stops on the other side, not to mention specific wear spots in the old.

Post #178524728th Feb 2017 11:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >