Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Neigbours......grrrrr (UPDATED)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
CFB

United Kingdom 
Neigbours......grrrrr (UPDATED)

A new family have moved in to one of the properties that adjoins my rear garden. They have decided they like the look of said patch of land that, whilst it sits behind a fence, is well within my boundary as shown on the Land Registry title deeds.

So last weekend the guy orders me off the land and verbally abuses me (never met him or spoken to him before this!) tells me I'll be hearing from his solicitor Shocked So having offered to discuss this sensibly with him (which he declined) I take him a copy of the land registry plans and my contact details and ask him to re-think.

Came home on Monday to find that he has cleared all the wild shrubbery from the land and is in the process of beginning to landscape it. So having gained some legal advice I write to him again asking him what he's doing and to please keep off the land, I also erect a CCTV camera so I can keep an eye on the land and see who's doing what in case I need the evidence.

Yesterday, police knock on the door, he's reported me for a 'privacy intrusion' by placing the camera and the Police ask me to consider removing it

FFS, what's wrong with people. A simple discussion could have avoided all this but he seems hell bent on taking possession of this 10 square meter patch no matter what Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto 

Last edited by CFB on 12th Jun 2017 3:51 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #178254623rd Feb 2017 2:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveC

United Kingdom 

if you have evidence of ownership isn't he trespassing so police should be having a word with him?

not to mention associated costs of putting right the damage he has caused clearing the land!
 XC90 T8 R Design Pro

MY14 D4 HSE Lux (sadly gone)
Mariana Black with Ivory interior and lots of toys! 

Post #178254923rd Feb 2017 2:41 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Police tell me it's a 'civil matter', however I agree that trespass is a Police matter hence the CCTV

I would have considered a sale of the land as it's of limited usable value to me but he's not just taking it.

Best thing is, If I take him to court and gain an injunction keeping him off the land and ordering him to put it back to how it was, then even if I win it ends up being flagged that the property had a neighbour dispute in any future land searches. As we are looking to move in the next couple of years that's not a great outcome either Confused
Post #178255723rd Feb 2017 2:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just get your solicitor to send him a snotty letter making it clear that you own the land and telling him (politely) where to go. We had to do this with one neighbour and ended up getting an apology - I admit this sounds unlikely in your case!
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #178257523rd Feb 2017 3:25 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
Came home on Monday to find that he has cleared all the wild shrubbery from the land and is in the process of beginning to landscape it.

I would have thought this already constitutes criminal damage under the Criminal Damage Act 1971 (which does include damage to land), so surely not just a civil matter?
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #178259323rd Feb 2017 3:43 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Just waiting to hear back from the legal advisory service linked to my home insurance policy, if they will cover the costs I'll start the process. If not I will need a plan B
Post #178260423rd Feb 2017 3:50 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Aggravated trespass?
This is a criminal.

The key thing with "normal" trespass is that damage must be done to the something belonging to the owner of the property, thus ripping up the shrubs certainly falls under that. The police have only listened to one side of the case, and have acted on the complaint, no matter how wrong that complaint may be. Make a counter complaint (via your solicitor) about his threats and on-going tort. Then serve him with notice of civil action to recover the land to its original state, plus all your legal cost, out of pocket expenses (like the installation of the CCTV to monitor the security of your property), loss of earnings and so on.

Or offer the land to them at an appropriately high price.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #178260523rd Feb 2017 3:51 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Rob Thumbs Up
Post #178261123rd Feb 2017 3:59 pm
Pelyma

England 

Be very careful of trying to litigate your way through, it can be ruinously expensive. Tell him he's welcome to it as it has Japanese knotweed that you've cut back, he can sort it now.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #178261623rd Feb 2017 4:06 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Be very careful of trying to litigate your way through, it can be ruinously expensive

Pelyma is dead right. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up and I say this as a long since retired lawyer.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #178261723rd Feb 2017 4:09 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I'm sure you're right but I have legal expenses cover via my home insurance policy, so if they will cover the costs (currently deciding) I am happy to let them.

It would seem to be a very clear cut case, the land registry plans are not ambiguous at all, he's just chancing it.
Post #178264723rd Feb 2017 4:48 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Whatever happens you now have to live with this person/family right behind you - You said considering moving in a few years? I'd consider going now........

Post #178265423rd Feb 2017 4:55 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

It has definitely occurred to me to go now and not take this any further, however any prospective buyer will no doubt want to see the garden and may ask questions about who owns which bit as it's divided up by walls and fences, I would have to be honest, so not necessarily a simple solution Big Cry
Post #178265823rd Feb 2017 4:58 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Not an expert by any means but I would suggest if you take no action now, he could claim the land as his own in a number of years if he can prove he has maintained it. I can't remember the legal terminology for it but believe me he would have a claim on it after the years have elapsed.
You must insist he either leaves your land immediately and you'll gladly forget about the whole issue or he stays put, you prove ownership in court and he gets hit with all the legal costs and correction work costs for the damage he's done.

Alternately you could, offer to rent out the land to him for a minimal sum, providing he maintains the upkeep and doesn't claim ownership. Obviously he'd have to sign something in agreement but this may be an amicable way forward where you would both win. You'd also have to include an eviction clause if your property changes ownership.

He may seem very aggressive and unapproachable but he will have to listen once he gets threatened with legal action which he won't win if you can prove ownership.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #178270223rd Feb 2017 6:24 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

As Narpy said, if he can prove that he's maintained the land for so long it technically becomes his. Not sure how long that is though.

I always remember a solicitor saying though, the last thing you need if selling is a boundary dispute.

I think renting him the land could be an iffy one even with an agreement in place. Needs a solicitors thoughts on that.

if it was me, id hit the legal action now however, seems a cut a dry case and get it all put to bed and sorted quicker.
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #178270523rd Feb 2017 6:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >