Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rawhide

Air suspension fault

Hi, I discovered our 2007 hse was giving an air suspension fault whilst we were away this weekend. My wife carefully drove it back home. I went to scan the car this evening and noticed the air suspension was working ok.

I did a scan and got these codes;

Suspension

C1A13-64 (68) Pressure does not decrease when venting gallery - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure
( on 01-01-2014 14:13:42 at 217344 km )

C1A36-01 (6C) Exhaust valve - General failure information - general electrical failure
( on 31-12-2013 16:01:35 at 217304 km )

I then mucked about with the height when idling and managed to get the car to throw the second code again.

I've booked the car into an Indy next week who said its likely the pump and will be about £700 to fit and code the newer pump.

I'm wondering if the pump made it 10 years why not just fit another earlier pump which is around £300 ?

I've also seen pumps can be serviced with new o rings eta for about £70?

Any recommendations on this please? I should also add we live in a rural location and the car is caked in mud and is always that way. We never clean it. One garage said the electrics around the pump would not like that. Another said not to worry as it's an off road vehicle. I'm wondering if I need an electrician rather than mechanic?

Post #178148221st Feb 2017 12:03 am
NIDisco3

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Based on my own personal experience but I went for the £60 repair kit... for me, a complete waste unfortunately.

I decided to then go down the new AMK Compressor route, sourced one online for £400 new incl delivery from LR Dealer.
I was able to get access to a lift and fitted the compressor myself, hardest job was getting the old unit off, very aqward top bolt.

I had a IID Bluetooth tool and was able to update the software myself in a few minutes.

Post #178148621st Feb 2017 12:23 am
Rawhide

Thanks - the new pump you bought was it an upgrade kit or did you already have that pump fitted? I can't seem to find the kit for that price.

I think tonight I will pull the cover to check which unit i have.

Post #178153021st Feb 2017 9:24 am
NIDisco3

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I had the previous Hitatchi compressor fitted so upgraded to newer AMK unit.

Double checked my invoice and I paid £428 albeit this was late 2015 Neutral
I see the same seller has others available on a famous online auction site, but now with a £216 surcharge until you return old unit Thumbs Up

Post #178154521st Feb 2017 10:15 am
Rawhide

Thanks for that. I did some more reading and saw the IID tool can tell you the compressor type. I looked for it in the ECU menu and it told me it was either the Hitachi or the AMK unit Confused

It identifies as;

Hardware (F191) RQT500170
Serial - 265486448
Strategy (F188) - 6H22-14D394-AC

Could this be the 'Dunlop' compressor? As far as I can tell if I just replace this it should just work and I would not need to 'upgrade' to AMK kit and have the associated hastle associated.

My father in law has a pit. I'm guessing this would make it a lot easier to change out and access all the bolts. Is there anything I'd need to be aware of such as suspension dropping after the system is depressurized?

Post #178155821st Feb 2017 11:06 am
trainmanone

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hi I've tried the rebuild worked for a couple of months then packed up ,then replaced the original Hitachi one with a Dunlop that lasted six months then motor on it failed so put on a amk,did this at side of road no need to use a pit just put it on axle stand. then reflash ecu with the iid tool , I just got the compressor so haven't got the covers fitted to mine as the originals wont fit the amk, they are only for sound deadening and will hold all sorts of mud stones ect that's my opinion anyway. Have driven through flood water and no issues.

Post #178156121st Feb 2017 11:26 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I doubt a Pit would help as it's all very close to the wheel

If it's just the exhaust value that has the problem, it would be nice to think it could be serviced?

Is that that big difficult nut I wonder ?

Post #178159721st Feb 2017 1:21 pm
jetmech

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I too have a pit, but it is of limited help for this job.
As others have already stated, I had short lived success with the repair/overhaul route, lasted about 3 months. I now have a generic hitachi style pump from ebay. I am sure that it too will be short lived, but it got me going at a time when money was a bit tight.
 Simon.
2008MY Dicovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual 

Post #178163421st Feb 2017 3:51 pm
Rawhide

I found this when removing the cover. I assume this is an unbranded Hitachi unit.

The cover was only held on with two 10mm bolts so I think it must have been replaced before as the guide suggests three I think.

Post #178172921st Feb 2017 7:12 pm
trainmanone

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

yes hitachi/Dunlop unit . so hasn't lasted 10 years poss , I suggest the amk compressor but that's up to you either way get the captive nuts and new fitting bolts

Post #178174621st Feb 2017 7:36 pm
Maxc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I rebuilt my Hitachi pump today with a kit from Steve at AF - a pretty simple process once you watch the YouTube video. I discovered it had been played with before as the top bolt was missing - now replaced. It is definitely worth replacing all the captive nuts while you can. The air tank looked scabby so took the opportunity to drop and pressure test it. All was good so stone-chipped and refitted. The pump seems a bit noisier, but performs well after a few starts so happy to have saved the cost of a new pump - for now...

Post #178182321st Feb 2017 10:13 pm
Rawhide

As an update on this topic my wife told me the problem had gone away so I put on hold the replacement of the compressor. The IID tool found no problems. However yesterday we got an error showing the light which the car rolling over warning.

I was hoping this might be a sign of a battery voltage problem rather than a suspension fault.

I have a AMK upgrade kit in the boot of the car but would rather return it if the problem is something else :S

Post #178446227th Feb 2017 1:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >