Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Another snow chain question...this time for Compomotives
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
StuartR

Iceland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Another snow chain question...this time for Compomotives

I was wondering if anyone here had any advice on snow chains for the Compomotive PD1881. I talked to Barry at Compomotive and he said they had less clearance on the inside than the standard rims, which suggests to me that the K-Summit XXL are the only options that will work. On Konig's website, they list those as well as the Easy fit SUV 265 chains as fitting a Discovery 4 with 255/60/18 wheels, which is what I have. Not sure how they confirmed that though, as I doubt they were measuring a Discovery 4 with compomotives, and as far as I know you can't get stock 18" wheels on the D4.

In any case, any advice? The easy fit ones look brilliant, so I would go for those if possible, but it seems like it might be a bit risky. Finally, what's the word on putting them on all four wheels...I know LR says not to, but I am mostly planning on using them for going over very steep mountain roads, and the idea of the rear wheels swinging around on me fills me with a lot of dread...I would rather have them on all four!

I know that for most people they are not necessary, but I live in Iceland, and they could be very useful. Most people in the countryside here have studded tires. I made the decision to get Nokian R2 SUV tires, which are among the best non-studded tires. I did this, because I live and work in Reykjavik where the roads are mostly fine. That said, I wanted to go over a mountain pass to visit a farmer friend and I literally slid backwards down the mountain about 40 meters and into a snow bank. I was able to deflate the tires and get back on the road, but it is not an experience I care to relive! The road was glare ice. I was able to drive up it, but upon realizing how slick it was, I started to back down and even with hill descent control and corrective maneuvers, the d4 lost all traction and slid down the hill. Luckily I was only going around 5-10kph at the time, and there was snow on either side of the road.

Post #177995017th Feb 2017 11:57 am
spikekellyrm

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'm going to Norway in 5 weeks on 265/65/18 compomotives. I was going to try and borrow some chains 'just in case' but I'm in the same boat as you.
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #178000817th Feb 2017 2:24 pm
StuartR

Spike -- I would think with the larger 265/65/18's you will definitely need something like the K-Summits. I have that size for the summer, and when they were new they would rub slightly in certain turns. I think if you had regular chains on there, you could get into a position where you started doing some real damage. The K summit's might be fine, however, since there is a lot of clearance on the top of the wheels, just not between them and the control arms.

Post #178018017th Feb 2017 8:36 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you looked at the Spikes Spider range (Swiss made)? Roofbox sell them

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/snow-chains/spike...0wodaKwINw

I had to research this at length last month prior to heading off to the Alps, and found that the standard chains I had for a 255/55/19 and 255/60/18 would foul on the inside of the wheels. LR used to supply the Spikes Spiders as their own 'extra'.

We had one very snowy weekend in which almost 600mm fell - I witnessed three cars being taken away on transporters after incorrect/poorly fitted chains had damaged the vehicles.

In practice most locals seemed to rely on winter tyres for the snow but, as you have found, chains and/or studs are really the only viable option for sheet ice
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #178019217th Feb 2017 8:57 pm
StuartR

Thanks. I had a look at the Spikes Spider as well, but the idea of having hub plates on there permanently does not sit very well with me. The Thule seems to be very similar, only it does not require the plates, so I am looking more towards them. The Easyfit SUV would be ideal, but it requires 10mm internal clearance. I had a look today and it seemed like it would be ok (roofrack and Konig list them as compatible with 255/60/18 tires on a D4, but as I said, they are probably thinking of the original 18s, not the compomotives...not sure if there is any difference. I am on a trip now, so I will have to wait until I get back until I can check it out in a garage. Unfortunately, I don't know of any dealers in Iceland, so I don't think the chances are high that I could find a pair to try!

Post #178096219th Feb 2017 11:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >