DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Dodgy dealer.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jakeryannancy

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Dodgy dealer.

Hi all,

I'm just after a bit of advice really, I bought a 2011 d4 last may from a second hand dealer in the area and it came with 1 years warrenty which he gave us and also we have the relevant paper work and warrenty claim booklet. The cars alternator broke last week so we got it into a garage and got a new one fitted, totally forgetting about the fact we had a warrenty and it may be covered. Anyway I checked the booklet and it does say the alternator should be covered so my wife phoned up only to be told that because the garage didn't actually pay for the warrenty after it was requested that there is not one in place for the car. We've spoken to the garage owner today and he said he doesn't deal with the warrenty company that we were supposed to have on our car anymore and he wouldn't have given us a 12 month warrenty only a 6 month one which would have been no good now. He said there's nothing he can do and nothing we can do and ended the coversation. I've got all the proof on paper from when we bought the car and I'm just wondering if it's worth persuing or not? Thanks son advance Rog.

Post #177825313th Feb 2017 9:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Small claims court comes to mind. Thumbs Up

Post #177825513th Feb 2017 9:23 pm
Jakeryannancy

Hi, thanks for the idea!! I was thinking of contacting consumer advice and asking them but wasn't sure if it's all worth the hassle if nothing can be done? I've paid for the repair now so it's more the fact I've been robbed of a years warrenty that I still may need!!

Post #177825713th Feb 2017 9:27 pm
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

you need to decide whether the principle, and the potential additional warranty, is worth the hassle.

If not, park it and move on, there are more important things to worry about.

If it is, then write to him, via recorded delivery, enclosing photocopies of the documentation, and asking him to either honour the warranty by taking it out, or refunding you the cost of a year's warranty - both of which are reasonable options. Give him 2 weeks to reply. Agree to mediation if offered - if it's as you say it is, the mediator will agree with you.

If he doesn't reply, go to moneyclaimonline.gov and fill in a small claims form, pay your money (£30? - you can get it refunded if you win) and press enter. He'll be served with papers and will either cough up, fold his business, or see you in court.

In my experience, they pay up.

It's easy to do, quick, and relatively painless. I just wished they had a live feed when they served the papers, but otherwise it's a good system.

Not worth using lawyers, unless you check your household policy - many of them cover you for personal legal fees for stuff, and this may well be covered, so you can get lawyer to do this for you if you need it without it costing an arm and a leg.

Good luck.

edited to add: I'm not a lawyer, just a successful litigant Laughing

Post #177828413th Feb 2017 10:04 pm
Jakeryannancy

Xcentric,
Great advice there thanks very much!! I'm going to pursue it as a matter of principal
And also the fact he was so cocky and full of himself on the phone earlier today. I know a years warrenty
Won't amount to much and they usually only cover the things you don't want covered but I don't see why he should get away with fobbing me off in this way!! Nothing may come off it but it's worth a try for £30!!
Plus I don't like being fleeced either!! Thanks again,Rog

Post #177831213th Feb 2017 10:30 pm
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

good luck - let us know how you get on Very Happy

Post #177832413th Feb 2017 10:44 pm
nrich

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Try consumer advice first if you take him to court tell him first he might pay rather than go through the hassle otherwise put the business and him personally down as second claimant so you can pursue both does not cost you any more but makes a big difference as they can not wriggle out of it as easily speaking from experience.

Post #177833813th Feb 2017 11:07 pm
60DISCO

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If the vehicle was sold with a 12 month warranty then it was. Get a solicitor to sort it, including his fee!

No messing bout, usually a solicitors letter, probably coupled with threat of much media coverage of their appalling behaviour, should do the job.

If not sue the nuts off them, and maybe local consumer advice will assist with the calls and 'persuasion'!!

Post #177835613th Feb 2017 11:54 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Xcentrics advice is spot on Thumbs Up
As another thought if by chance you paid a deposit on the vechicle of more than £100 using a credit card and the total invoice price was £30K or less then under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act your credit card provider is obliged to offer you protection. Even if you only paid £100 of the total amount with the card the full value of the purchase is protected. Maybe another route to go.

Post #177841914th Feb 2017 7:19 am
Jakeryannancy

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I've been speaking with the dealer over this week and basically he's trying everything he can to cover his tracks. He's now saying that we had a warranty but it was with him and we should have contacted him when we had a problem? That's the first we've heard of that so pretty unbelievable. He also said if we had taken the car to him he would have looked over it as a "good will gesture"!! And that because we have had the car fixed already his warranty wouldn't cover it!! All in all without boring everyone to much it's all complete lies so I'm going to go down the small claims route and see what happens

Post #178028218th Feb 2017 8:54 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Excellent update! Keep us all posted as we're rooting for you! Very Happy

Post #178028618th Feb 2017 9:41 am
Jakeryannancy

Hi all,

I've been busy with work but I'm about start my online claim, but was wondering if anyone knew roughly how much it costs for a warranty for 12 months as the company we were supposed to have one with won't tell us and we need to include a total cost for it in our claim!!

Thanks Rog

Post #17865483rd Mar 2017 8:05 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

It depends what it was to cover. The top cover from warranty direct would be around £700 for a disco and that would cover practically everything.

Post #17865773rd Mar 2017 9:04 pm
Jakeryannancy

Hi, thanks. All I know is that it was with warrenty 2000 and it was the gold warrenty. It seemed to cover quite a bit, but then we didn't actually have a warrenty so it might aswell have covered nothing!!

Cheers Rog

Post #17865823rd Mar 2017 9:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >