Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Warranty about to expire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
D4MY2014

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Warranty about to expire

2014 HSE is about to go for its 3 year service and final check up before dealer warrnty expires. Car had a few teething problems when new but now running well.

My question is whether there is anything in particular I should ask the dealer to check that has a history of going just after warrnty expires?

Post #17731032nd Feb 2017 6:55 pm
Treetrimmer

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago. Booked an early M.O.T., and asked him to be extra tough! He did find the Power Steering rack had a "weep" where the steering column drive entered the rack, and obligingly took some photos. I then took the car into the main dealers for its three year service, just before the warranty expired, and requested the steering rack be replaced-all done under warranty!

So, get yourself a "tough" M.O.T., preferably from a garage with experience of Discovery's!

If you are thinking of buying the Land Rover extended warranty, make sure you do it just before the 3 year warranty expires, otherwise you may be liable for an expensive (you pay!) "fitness" check before your vehicle can be accepted. I didn't do this, but after a couple of weeks decided I would, and on the way to the main dealer for the fitness check, the parking brake assembly failed, and required expensive work done. However, as it was a very low mileage vehicle, and only 3 weeks out of the 3 year warranty, L.Rover did pay a hefty contribution.

One advantage of the L.Rover warranty is it's "first M.O.T. Guarantee". I'm not sure of the precise details, but my Discovery failed it's first M.O.T. (At 22,000 miles!) on a front wheel bearing, and an advisory that the lower front arms would need changing soon. The L.R. Warranty covered the cost of the wheel bearing
and would have covered the lower arms had they been deemed a "failure".

I also had a Sat Nav aerial failure covered by the warranty, so do think very carefully about buying the extended warranty!!

Post #17732132nd Feb 2017 10:04 pm
D4MY2014

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Bow down

Post #17732322nd Feb 2017 10:41 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Warranty direct will be cheaper and cover more than the LR warranty, including wear and tear.

Post #17733213rd Feb 2017 9:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >