Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

IID Voltages
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
gilesharrison

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
IID Voltages

I've got a few queries about the voltages shown by the IID. I'm aware that the IID unit doesn't have an onboard voltmeter, it just reads the voltages detected by the car.

As a bit of background, I've fitted a new Denso alternator recently, and I'm confident that's working well. My battery isn't that old but I think it may have been harmed by the old alternator failing - it's struggling to hold a decent charge.

I've been monitoring the voltages with the IID at the moment - the car is starting and running fine but the battery voltage appears low in the morning (less than 12v). Here's a screenshot of some voltages (ignore the injector values)

So on the bottom of that screen we have 'Battery Voltage' and 'Control Module Power Supply Voltage'. Now both those numbers look healthy to me (this is after a 25 mile motorway drive, external temp around 5 degrees).

My confusion is the voltage shown in the top left of the screen (in green). This started at 15.1v at the beginning of the journey and fell to 13.1v towards the end. What does this value refer to? Is it the alternator output?

Post #177205631st Jan 2017 3:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

If engine is running that's the alternator output. Looks pretty normal in my non techie experience. And very good injector values too!! Thumbs Up

Post #177206231st Jan 2017 3:14 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Occasionally the voltage "sticks" at a value. I have not been able to find a common trigger for it yet...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #177206531st Jan 2017 3:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilesharrison

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thank you for the replies. So I don't need to worry about that voltage too much then.

Now I need to work out if my battery is bad or I have a drain. I've had a look at the excellent drain guide so I'll follow that when I get chance.

Re Injectors: I've just replaced two injectors (no1 and no3) and the car is much better - when warm they're great but injector 5 is over 1300 when the car is cold - that's getting replaced too any day.

So the voltage in green in the top left, should that just display the 'Battery Voltage' but it's got stuck?

Post #177211831st Jan 2017 5:50 pm
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I have had the same problem with my IIDTool. It seems to give a reading that is too low by around .5v. Eg this morning I measured the battery voltage as 12.7 with the multimeter but the IIDToll reported 12.2v. I have been using the IIDTool quite a bit for voltage readings as part of trying to chase down a battery drain, but have gone back to the multimeter to avoid having incorrect information.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #17723221st Feb 2017 3:27 am
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor 

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

The voltage is actually taken from a message being broadcasted by one of the vehicles ECU on the CAN bus. The IIDTool does not do a direct measurement and therefore the voltage display is for indication purposes only. A good multimeter and current clamps are mandatory when tracing a battery drain.
 http://www.gap-diagnostic.com/

Post #17736723rd Feb 2017 10:05 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Yep, clamps are brilliant but for later vehicles the live data from the BMS is very useful, providing a brace of voltage and amperage information.

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #17736823rd Feb 2017 10:16 pm
PatGAPInnov
Site Sponsor 

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

True! Thumbs Up