DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

And I was just thinking........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pjm-84

Ukraine 
And I was just thinking........

That I had nothing left to do Big Cry

Seems I'm now having an extended suspension (at the rear) issue when putting the vehicle into access mode (dogs). Suspect a ride height sensor as I don't seem to be losing any air and I have a red flashing bar on the front n/s on the 4x4 info screen when in access mode. Access mode is 410mm on the front, which looks a little low, compared to 440mm on the back. Standard height is spot on at 465/485

When checking this tonight I left the vehicle running at tickover for around 10 to 15mins while looking at the IDD information. I hear the revs rise from 600 to 1100 and viscous fan kicks in. I look at the temperature gauge which shows .... nothing. Question

Quick spin (200m and back) and the suspension sorts itself and straight into standard height. Car is sluggish, fan is noisy and I assume at 100% . Temp gauge is still not working. No errors message recorded and 1100 revs is cold start for the V8

Switch car off. Fan has drag. Switch ignition back on and temp gauge now showing about 80% of what it would be at normal running temperature.

Assume first port of call to be the temperature sensor?

Post #176907026th Jan 2017 12:33 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Looking at the live values, check the oil temperature sensor as well as the rising revs is a classic sign, along with the water temp issue as they're on the same 5v circuit.

For the suspension issue, does sound like a ride height sensor or commonly the wiring to it.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #176916926th Jan 2017 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just noticed you have the petrol so not sure if oil temp sensor has the same impact. Worth checking anyway. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #176917026th Jan 2017 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjm-84

Ukraine 

All fine this morning.

Have just ordered a temp sensor but only the one by the MAF. There are 3x sensors. The other two being the fuel rail / and underneath by the oil.

Wondering if its worth doing the ones "below"?

Post #176917626th Jan 2017 10:46 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Just added the oil and water sensor "down under" to my order ..... hopefully covers all the bases.

Post #176918026th Jan 2017 10:55 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Just checked the live values and they appear okay???

Short journey back from work - oil was at 52degree C / water 67 degrees.

I let it tick over for around 10mins - small 3 to 5 degree rise to oil and water as expected.

Post #176930626th Jan 2017 2:34 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Update.

I found the wiring diagram and a brief summary on what and how the fuelling and viscous fan are controlled by the top sensor (great forum).

Changed the top sensor. A little tight for room and misjudged the clip that holds the sensor in. Luckily it landed on the engine in a recess.

Cleaned the throttle body again whilst it was apart.

The red bar over the front n/s sensor was investigated. Nearside was fine. Cycled the sensor a few times / removed the multiclip (pain) and cleaned. I then checked the o/s front and here lies the problem.

Sensor arm was twisted and the action was very (very) sticky . Whilst I managed to free it a little by working it for 10min, it will need replacing. Just started the car and temperature gauge seems more "linear". (Previously it wouldn't move for a couple of mins).

Post #177073028th Jan 2017 10:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >