Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

remap pros and cons..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Munk

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

thanks fro all the prompt replies.. where would this whole crank issue have risen from then??
geoff ill send you a p.m regarding mapping. thanks. Thumbs Up

Post #176894625th Jan 2017 8:11 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine had a BAS map on it, and still does I'd think with its new owner, mid range power delivery is smoother and a far better drive Thumbs Up

I can see you've located Geoff, he's the BAS agent in the south, drop him a line he'll look after you for a map and anything else you may need Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #176896025th Jan 2017 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Okay, I'm not going to question the advantages offered by the remapping of a D3's engine when so many good insights say it so categorically. But in all this there is only one point that does not finish convincing me and it is this:

If the remapping is so easy, and cheap, to do that we only need the engine we already have along with a new and diferent electronic management, ie in the process of manufacturing LR the remapping is free, I say it because I imagine it costs exactly the same The management that the car brings as a series of different management as the one offered in a remapping, how is it possible that the D3 had not been this way since the factory? Would not have been at the time cars with a greater commercial interest? Therefore easier to sell? Would not it have been all easier?

I've never had a convincing enough answer from anyone ... that's why I've never done a remapping, because I sincerely believe that an engine that delivers more power has to leave part of its reliability down the road, nothing is free in this, But outside that way I think and I am convinced that the D3 would be remapped in origin at its solihull factory, IMHO.
 lost in translation!  
Post #176903725th Jan 2017 10:42 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

One map fits all from the factory, regardless of service intervals, fuel quality, climate etc Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #176912326th Jan 2017 7:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would say they have to spec the fuel set up for the lowest crap fuel that the car will ever see and go from there, in the case of the D3 thats the farmers red Mr. Green
I would say like all mods theres a drawback somewhere.

Ive had plenty of diesel cars/4x4s chipped/remapped/intercooled etc etc and without exception there has always been an issue either directly or indicrectly related to the extra fuel and heat.

Good question to ask that always get scant replies or blank looks are what are the EGT std map and what are the EGT with whoevers map you are interested in?

I have personally seen EGT as high as 1000 degc on a chipped motor with big intercooler, boost controller etc, cracked turbo on another, issues with an EDC fuel pump causing smoking even after pump rebuilt, cracked/warped manifolds, cracked cylinder heads, externally cracked cyl head and thats just the stuff I can remember.
Might have been dirty maps, but some were from one of the guys mentioned above Rolling Eyes

I have also thought of a remap but dont want all the hassle/aggro all over again.

I would say keep the money and when you can afford a D4 get one.

Post #176913126th Jan 2017 7:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >