Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Iceland shipping quote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
spikekellyrm

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Iceland shipping quote

I've spent the afternoon pricing up 2 weeks in Iceland using my own car.

Driving to Denmark and getting the ferry costs £1000ish for the ferry alone. This isn't too bad as there are two of us going, but sailing times are set once a week and the times just don't coincide with our holidays. Not to mention the 4-5 days transit each way inc Chunnel.

I found on another thread that someone used Eimskip, shipping from Immingham. This seemed a good idea as I could pre-load the car and send it off before my holidays started. I've just got the quote back from them, they said it's per vehicle not per container (because I asked for a price on a large container for two cars too, with the intention of offering the idea to the forum). So for 1xDisco Immingham-Iceland-Immingham....
£2085!

Well that's that then Shocked
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #176879125th Jan 2017 5:57 pm
Aerialmark

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Be cheaper to hire a 4x4 when you are there Thumbs Up
 The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the best of everything they have. 

Post #176879525th Jan 2017 6:02 pm
Dr LC8

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Hi,

Back in 2015 we went to Iceland with 4 motorbikes. We used Samskip. Excellent service. Immingham-Reykjavik return was €600 per bike, all inclusive (all!). We made enquiries for a car and they gave us a quote for €1600, negotiable if there would have been more cars.

I hope this helps,

And yes it is worth a trip. Spend at least 2 weeks. You will love it, even if, if at all possible, it is wetter than UK! I loved it by bike but if I was to go back I would go by car big time.

Nic

Post #176902025th Jan 2017 11:04 pm
Dr LC8

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Aerialmark wrote:
Be cheaper to hire a 4x4 when you are there Thumbs Up

4x4 hiring is around €160-200 at least. Possibly more.

If you stay 10 days or more your car is cheaper.

Iceland is unbelievable expensive.

Nic

Post #176902225th Jan 2017 11:05 pm
spikekellyrm

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks for the responses, definitely want to go but unfortunately on rigid leave patterns.

I'm toying between Iceland vs. Norway/Sweden. I'm currently leaning towards the Scandinavian trip because there's more flexibility. I plan on a 3 week trip, flying back from Norway for the first weekend to a MUST ATTEND event, then flying back the day after to continue the two weeks trip.

Will add another expense (est £300) to the trip, but it means I will be able to do it as opposed to not! Can't take it with you when you go, it needs to be spent I suppose! Laughing
 D4.5 Facelift, Lazer ST4, Prospeed underbody and rack, IID BT, Compomotive/BFG KO2, Series MFlaps, RAI, Dog Gd+XBB, Alive Tuned, T-Max/YellowTop, RemoteFBH, GlassesMod, WheelWinchMod, Jack Mod, LED Mods, Seized Crank Mod....  
Post #176903325th Jan 2017 11:33 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

3 weeks leave Shocked how did you wangle that ?
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #176912726th Jan 2017 8:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

And you can't push it back a week so you do the must do event then head straight off? Would save a lot of hassle and give you many more options & flexibility. Thumbs Up

And you have a PM. Mr. Green

Post #176914126th Jan 2017 9:14 am
oldskoolskater

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Loved both Iceland and Norway, but Iceland has the edge for me - an amazing place!
Wish I'd had a 4x4 as a hire car rather than the Suzuki Swift though Shocked

Got a month off this summer to do Spain/Italy/Germany in the D3 8)

Post #176915026th Jan 2017 9:42 am
Parmenian

Guernsey 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Incredibly you are in exactly the same place myself and my girlfriend find ourselves. We've 30 days off in April/May (for only 17 days leave!) and had planned the same holiday.

You're right, the ferry times are annoying. We'll 'waste' the first week getting to Denmark for the Saturday sailing. And then have only 2 days, on the return, to get back to St Malo for our ferry to Guernsey (phew, 1200 miles is a bit of a slog).

So then we considered Denmark, Sweden and Norway too. Cancel some leave time and just make it a 3 week trip.

Our biggest concern with Iceland was definitely cost. We'd hoped to camp, but are thinking it'll be ridiculously cold/wet/windy. In which case accommodation is prohibitively expensive on top of the other things we'd like to do. Even if we camped I'd have to purchase suitable equipment (tent, heating system etc) as we've never had to deal with those conditions before and my gear wouldn't cut it.

So, currently, we're getting a bit stressed that our amazing adventure is going to go to pot. We've ended up going around in circles with our thoughts on what to do. I'm even considering doing the North Coast 500 instead. And probably save us about £2000 each!

It'll be interesting to see any further advice and people's thoughts on this thread.

Post #176917526th Jan 2017 10:45 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Have a think about the sort of thing I'm doing this year. Two days blast to Warsaw (cheap hotel at Leipzig and £7 for an ibis budget in Warsaw!! Shocked ), two day bimble up to Tallinn taking in various sights (stocking up on food & everything else in Poland), short (2hr) crossing to Helsinki then up the E border of Finland with a lot of exploring side roads to Lake Inari then up to North Cape. Route down through bits of N Finland I've not seen, then down the E45 though central Sweden. An alternative is down the E6 along the Norwegian coast but that's a lot harder work but much more to see (e.g. Batterie Dietl on Engeløya, Harstad and Lofotons). Proper road trip, lots of excellent wild camping, or alternatively Scandic Hotels or camp sites.

Looking forward to heading up there in July. Mr. Green

PS This sort of thing, except my plans are a bit different for Poland, and now thinking about the E8 down the Norwegian coast. Whistle

Click image to enlarge

PPS Might do this route south, following the E6 where I have to, or the Fv17 coastal route and down to the Atlantic Highway before heading inland. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #176918126th Jan 2017 10:56 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >