Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Xenon Headlights With Water In Them
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Xenon Headlights With Water In Them

Good afternoon Collective,

The old girl is in for her MOT Friday (2013 D4 Commercial) with 72k Miles on-board.

She is still under warranty (and that comes with £750 worth of MOT Insurance) and I can see both headlights have water in their lower quadrants. The bit where the sidelight lamp is but that does not get used when you have the LED 'fairy' lights.

Is the water a warranty issue (before I ask on Friday I'm betting this has been an issue for others)! Nice to be in the know beforehand. Not so worried as going to dealer in Coniston, Cumbria and they are just the nicest people to deal with so there will be no cloak'n'dagger answers from them.

Also got a side repeater indicator full of water so I will ask about that at the same time.

Warranty or a undocumented design feature of D4s Sad

Thanks in advance.
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #176477217th Jan 2017 3:10 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Is it actually water or just misted up? - if they are just misted up they should clear when the lights have been switched on for a while, or take the bulbs out and spend 5 minutes with an hair drier. The reason it may fail its MOT is because the mist will effect the beam spread on dipped. If it is water it is a different matter but will fail an MOT for the same reason, not sure if it is water that it will be a warranty claim as the question is how did water get in there?
At 3 years she is not old she is still a baby Laughing
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #176479517th Jan 2017 4:00 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Pic would be good. Thumbs Up

Post #176479917th Jan 2017 4:10 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Take your point - she is 4 years old in a few weeks time and a mere whipper-snapper Smile

The water is a mist as suggested by M3DPO and it is not actually in the beam lens area. I'm not so worried about the MOT (I have JLR MOT Insurance with the extended warranty) but more interested in the fact that it is under JLR warranty and there should be no water in there period Shocked Choose how it got there. And no pressure washer or hose has been under the bonnet (just in case someone was curious).

Can't be my job to use a hair dryer if it is a warranty issue............. me'thinks Question

Both sides are identical. The area is the unused sidelight compartment (not in use when you have LED sidelights). Might be cornering lamps but there not active on my model Idea
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #176483617th Jan 2017 5:05 pm
Washwipe

England 

It does mention in the handbook that the headlights do mist up.

Post #176484417th Jan 2017 5:28 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

My D3 ones have been misted up like that from the off, never had any problems at the MOT. Thumbs Up

Post #176484817th Jan 2017 5:33 pm
disco4ever

Germany 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

it will probably be less time consuming to dry the headlights yourself than taking the car to the dealer, wait and losing a couple of hours.
 Achim

own garage certified LR tech

Disco 2 TD5 MY 2001 - gone but still driven by another owner
Defender 110 TD5 driving me bananas with all faults
Disco 3 TDV 6 HSE MY 2005 gone @280.000 km
Disco 4 SDV 6 HSE MY 2012 

Post #176484917th Jan 2017 5:36 pm
Kilovolt

Washwipe wrote:
It does mention in the handbook that the headlights do mist up.

I guess that answers that then Thumbs Up

Post #176485817th Jan 2017 5:45 pm
philm

England 

From owners information.

Misting of headlight lenses can occur under some atmospheric conditions. Performance of the lights is not affected and misting clears during normal operation.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #176495417th Jan 2017 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >