Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Looking to upgrade from d1 to D3 advice welcome!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
EDoubleD

United Kingdom 
Looking to upgrade from d1 to D3 advice welcome!

So I currently own a SORNed R Reg D1 with lift kit and general off road mods, R18/285's etc. It's been off the road for a couple of months with a stuck starter which burnt out (I think). I also drive a 3.0l BMW Z4. I use the D1 for work in the Events Industry in the summer and for general fun. The Z4 is my daily drive for fuel economy (believe it or not!....compared to the D1!!!!) I probably need to spend a load of money on the D1 plus do some work myself to get it through it's next MOT. At a ball park at least £500 and it's probably only worth £1500. It's really showing it's age and doesn't give off the doing well in events vibe!

I'm starting to think about selling both and getting a D3 as a work and daily drive. Ideally I'd buy a defender but as a daily drive I'm not really sure it's right for me as I do a lot of road miles and they are so thin in the cab.

At a push I've probably got £10,000 to spend. Ideally I want a manual as I hate auto's but I don't know if that's a bad idea?

In terms of use I'll be doing 60% road with some towing and then 30% light off road muddy/very muddy fields with a little bit of proper off road if time allows. I probably average at least 15k a year.

I've not paid much attention to the D3 reliability etc but I know I won't be able to do any maintenance myself where as at least the D1 I can do 50% of it. I realise that with any vehicle at this price/spec there's going to be ongoing costs but obviously some are worse than others and there are plenty of £10k vehicles which then become a total nightmare. Am I opening myself up for a world of costs at this price point for a manual D3 or in general are they ok? Any vehicle I buy I'll get my friendly mechanic to look over it but he's definitely given me a slight word of warning. He's offered some other ideas but for me it's always been about LR. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Post #176460117th Jan 2017 10:33 am
hilly10

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Just read loads and loads on here about the joys the trials and tribulations of owning a D3, there are plenty of folk on this forum who know all and will be along soon. Scour the For Sale section, there are some top D3s that have been looked after.
 17 Golf GT TDI Tornado Red
BMW 5 Series Touring

New Toy 1974 TR6 Memosa Yellow 

Post #176462917th Jan 2017 11:40 am
EDoubleD

United Kingdom 

Having read through a few of the forum pages it's obviously clear that there are lots of faults which could go wrong but that's true of most complicated cars on the road. I guess that it's subjective as well as forums like this tend to be for problem solving so it feels like there might be more problems than there actually are. I guess I'm looking for some generalised opinions about the model and it's overall reliability@

Post #176465317th Jan 2017 12:42 pm
Craiggillin1985

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Home

Have a look here

Post #176475317th Jan 2017 3:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Like the D1 it can all be diyed at home, plenty do it me included, unlike the D1 you wont have to worry about boot floors/rear arches/body mounts all rotting out Mr. Green
Internal water leaks can still be an issue!

Owned mine 2yrs no major issues so far, after 4yrs with a defender as a daily driver its refreshing not having an ongoing snag list to do all the time Shocked

Unlike the D1 you will need a diagnostic tool, forum favourite is the IID tool.

Post #176477817th Jan 2017 4:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >