DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HDC fault, special programs unavailable, suspension lowered
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Azzybee

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
HDC fault, special programs unavailable, suspension lowered

As the title says.

My issue only seems to happen in a certain situation. When I am going at high speeds and what seems to be when the car is going up hill slightly the above (title) message appears and the car blinks and various orange lights come on.

When I stop, turn the ignition off then back on all is back to normal.

This has never happened to me at slow speeds but always happens when I get to 50 mph or higher.

The first time this happened to me was when I just bought my car on the motor way but it was a lot worse as the car went into limp mode and I had to safely pull onto the hard shoulder (turned the car off and back on and all was fine).

After the first issue when it went into limp mode I replaced the battery with a good quality brand new one. Since whenever this has happened to me it never goes into limp mode it just beeps, orange warning symbols appear and the HDC fault message comes up. I figure this replacing the battery stopped the car going into limp mode when this happens (I guess).

Now after research 4 things kept popping up with a possible cure; replace the battery, brake light switch, brake light bulb (or convert to led but my back lights are already led) or the alternator. I replaced this in hope it will solve my problem. I will be doing my high speed up hill test run tomorrow so will keep you posted.

I did plug my IID tool in and the fault code relates to the HDC (cant remember which one but will post if it comes up again).

Anyway thought I would post this up in hope it may help guide someone who has the same problem. I even opened up my brake light switch and found there to be some sort of black carbon type powder/residue. Whether or not this is enough to cause this fault I don't know, time will tell.

When I looked online for my switch there were much cheaper ones which may have been fine to buy but I wasn't sure if they would be as good as the original Land Rover part so I bought mine off flea bay for £32.10 (a lot more expensive than other ones you can get).

Replacing the switch is very easy. Under the steering wheel just above you feet facing downwards is a panel with 2 Philip screws which only turn about half way to open. Once open pull the panel down and forward (with a little wiggle), you don't have to remove the panel you just need to make a gap big enough to work through. Above that panel is another panel (the beige one for my car) one under the steering wheel. From the top grab it and pull downwards it comes off very easy. Behind this panel you can see the brake light switch through a hole/gap. Grab tis with your hand twist anti clockwise about 90 degrees and it comes out. I then put my hand from underneath the lower panel and pulled the switch out where I found it was easier to disconnect the cable connector from rather than the gap/hole I used to turn the switch from. Once the cable connector was removed I plugged it into the new one, then through that gap placed the switch into the slot/hole where it sits and through the top panel hole/gap used my other hand to turn the switch and secure/lock it into place. When that was done I just fitted everything in reverse order, turned my car on to check no faults came up and pressed the brake a few times to make sure the brake lights came on which they did. Tomorrow is my test run.

Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176311714th Jan 2017 1:53 am
Dan the Man

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Very comprehensive & clear write-up with good photos.
Well done!
I had similar problem last week, but unfortunately it was related to steering angle sensor & track rods which was pretty expensive.
 1981 Unimog U1300L (ex German Army vehicle

Previous:
Discovery 3 G4 Challenge
Golf R DSG
BMW 535d M Sport Touring
2010 D4 HSE in Nara Bronze 

Post #176315414th Jan 2017 10:04 am
looge

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

re hdc fault i had it on my disco 3 got a new switch from lr trade parts at selby n/yorks off their ebay shop switch is same as l/rover one but half the price and did the job,i carry one in car as a spare now hope this helps regs howie.

Post #176330214th Jan 2017 5:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
KostasA

Greece 

Azzybee, have this solved your problem? was the brake switch?

Post #176331814th Jan 2017 6:18 pm
Azzybee

Hi guys.

As I never finished work until late I never got to do the run I was supposed to do. But will be doing it tomorrow so I will keep you guys posted.

Hope it does the job Neutral
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176344414th Jan 2017 10:52 pm
Azzybee

Ok so I just managed to do my proper test run since I replaced the brake light switch l. Unfortunately the same thing happened. Only this time it happened at around 40mph when the car was going downhill slightly. One thing I did notice and remember was that this issue seems to happen after around 45 minutes of driving (or it may even be that I have always tested it on this same run of mine and after around 45 minutes is when I reach the point where there are up stretches of road where I drive up and down hills).

Was worth a try not the biggest loss fitting the brake switch in and the start of my process of elimination.

Any ideas or suggestions guys?

Thanks.
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176403216th Jan 2017 9:13 am
Disco3_2.7V6

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Similar problem with mine, turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump.

Best get the fault Codes read.
 Discovery 3 2007 HSE  
Post #176411916th Jan 2017 1:13 pm
Azzybee

I have a the iid bt tool will read again later.

Drive again today after about 15 minutes going uphill at around 45 mph same thing happened. Seems to. E happening when I go up or down a hill!
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176420716th Jan 2017 3:33 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've been watching your progress with this thread Azzy and I have to report, common to popular myth, the brake pedal switch isn't the all fixing solution some posters would have us believe. Rolling Eyes

The other posters are quite correct, you must get the codes read and then search the forum for the code that appears to be causing your issue. For what it's worth, my money is also on the HPFP or the fuel filter but also don't write off the steering angle sensor as these can all cause the cascade type faults you're experiencing. The answer will lie in your codes so get them read.

Good luck with it, I hope it's a simple driveway fix. Thumbs Up

I will add this however, I too had the same suspension lowering, HDC + special programs lost fault that always seemed to happen about 20-25mins into my daily commute and always on the same stretch of motorway. On that occasion it was the steering angle sensor requiring recalibration and I became quite adept at preventing it happening by changing lanes and avoiding keeping the car driving straight for too long by making tiny adjustments to the steering wheel. It worked remarkably well too. Once recalibrated, problem solved.

As you have an iid tool, with the steering wheel level and the front wheels pointing dead ahead, recalibrate the steering angle sensor and see if your symptoms are back tomorrow. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #176421416th Jan 2017 3:58 pm
Azzybee

Thanks for the info Narpy (and everyone else who advises me and gives feedback).

Here are the fault codes that came up earlier. I will research what people say regarding these codes. These codes are new and relate to the faults for today as the only other codes (after they had been reset) which still come up are to do with my current air suspension compressor fault!

Narpy I will use my tool to recalibrate the steering wheel/sensor. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks again guys.

Note: I had plenty of fuel in my tank so fuel level is/was fine at the time of the fault happening!
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176438016th Jan 2017 8:26 pm
Azzybee

Actually two days ago my tank was on orange (4 miles left) could that have brought up the fault code? Shocked
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176443116th Jan 2017 9:36 pm
Azzybee

Narpy (or anyone Very Happy ) as you mentioned fuel filter I will start off by replacing mine. Does this one look any good/would it be just as good as the original?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361831874126

If so I'll get this and fit it in as it's cheap and process of elimination.
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176449616th Jan 2017 11:05 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

After market ( none genuine ) fuel filters have been know to cause issues. Confused
Best option is to buy a genuine LR replacement then you'll have the peace of mind it's correct. Wink
Try this from a decent supplier, others are available: http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/lr007311-...m-88-p.asp
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #176455117th Jan 2017 6:36 am
Azzybee

Thanks Narpy. Still a good price. Only thing is I don't know if that one will fit my 56 plate 3007 or the newer smaller one will?
 Discovery 3 HSE 2007  
Post #176504218th Jan 2017 1:12 am
RicksD3

Wales 

Hello,

Did you ever get to the bottom of his issue?

Many thanks

Rick

Post #18122757th May 2017 8:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >