Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Scraping new vehicles. Why???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I would understand that if these weren't already well established models ...e.g. what is the point of testing the 2015/16 Discovery for example when it is, or was about to go out of production. Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #176336214th Jan 2017 7:53 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It is a bit of a conundrum that, i wonder if they scrap the ones that have been testing new things on model year enhancements? mechanical things like introduction of DEF or stop start etc? to get some tax back or something.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #176337014th Jan 2017 8:13 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

These are cars that have covered in excess of 250,000 miles with no breakdowns, engine failures, water leaks, started first time in -20deg temperatures, no electrical problems..............in fact no adverse issues at all!
Could you imagine the consequences of someone buying a car like that from JLR?

Rolling with laughter

Post #176337314th Jan 2017 8:14 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

Rolling with laughter
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #176344714th Jan 2017 11:03 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

anjo14 wrote:
Read this article on the stock piling of brand new vehicles and scrapping.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-05-16/w...ars-go-die

Im not 100 percent thats accurate as the Sheerness docks mentioned used to have a large car carrier ship there in and out all the time so they must be turning the stock over, Im not sure on latest info as Ive not taken the boat out for ages.

If you google maps bruntingthorpe and look at all the mothballed supermarket trucks and trailers parked there then the huge numbers of cars which are slowly pushing out the trucks/trailers, so much so they are having to find other parking arrangements.

Post #176349515th Jan 2017 7:31 am
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

APL wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm29bEHeB1k

There are some very clear large hand spray painted numbers visible on the D4s which is a common way of marking vehicles after 'incidents' in order to record them - for example when assessing the cargo on the transporter that went over in the Solent any photos would show where the vehicle was, partially submerged, etc. and it would be easily identified by the number painted on it so it is possible they are insurance write offs. Would be supported by the fact that we never saw a surge of 'new take-off' heated wheels, leather seats, wheels, lights, etc. on eBay etc after that event? - those parts must have been dispose of some how.
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #176403116th Jan 2017 9:10 am
tuonov

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There's the different category of vehicle write offs - Cat B can never go back on the road but can be salvaged for parts, Cat A cannot be salvaged for parts either.

If they aren't test vehicles, could be Cat A salvage after an incident like water damage or transport damage - as frustrating and wasteful as it sounds - they are simply not allowed to scrap and strip the parts off them, even though many of us would love to get hold of one for parts!

Post #176451416th Jan 2017 11:39 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The reason Cat A and Cat B vehicles are never returned to the road is for the reason to stop continued thefts.... the big insurers decide to take one big hit rather than a series of thefts...

Confused?
If a car is stolen but is recovered minus it's interior an insurer will prefer to Cat B it.....the reasoning behind that is the fact that if they go on and sell the salvage to the general public, as sure as eggs is eggs another similar car will be stolen to provide the interior for the first vehicle.....
This in turn will be sold as salvage and thus the never ending cycle goes on and on....

Most big insurers also don't care about salvage values as it has become irrelevant to them. Most insurers have agreed rates with salvage companies. The salvage company pays the insurer a multi million pound deal (for example £10 million pound) and for that any vehicle that has to be disposed of by the insurance company automatically becomes the property of the salvage company.... they obviously have to dispose of the salvage remains as whatever category the insurer decides but overall the insurer doesn't care whether it's worth £500 or £50,000 because they have already had their money...

Post #176455917th Jan 2017 8:13 am
Maxc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I did a lot of work with JLR a couple of years ago and the exec leading the project had a new FFRR that was scheduled to be scrapped after his short tenure as it was fitted with test parts - suspension as I recall. It was regularly monitored, also fitted with a lot of additional sensors. He had it for around 3 months, than had yet another. he also had a second "official" car that was cycled every few months to feed the dealer network. He always complained about never being able to choose the spec himself!

Post #176502618th Jan 2017 12:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >