DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

[FIXED] Tailgate problems, microswitch and actuator working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
minimaltoo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
[FIXED] Tailgate problems, microswitch and actuator working

Hi all,

I've managed to break my tailgate release, but not in a way that seems to make sense, so I'm looking to drawn on second-most-common failure experiences...

Things went wrong after I fitted a rear camera to my 2DIN Android head unit (D3 S so no headunit for GVIF). I took care to unplug the battery after the D3 went into sleep mode, and have the signal and reverse light 12v cable pair going from the passenger rear cubby hole/trailer fuseblock up inside the rear pillar, across above the headlining and down into to the tailgate light unit inside the door via the existing rubber cable guide at the top, exiting under the rubber seal with the camera screwed to the bottom right of the numberplate light unit.

Before I powered my new wiring I wanted to test my new LED number plate bulbs so re-attached the battery and it all looked good (bright !), except that the door release switch didn't do anything. I stripped the number plate light/switch unit down and tested the output from the door microswitch and it looks good (0.8 ohms when pressed, infinite when not).

The two button dash door release works just fine, and there's no difference in sound when opening the rear this way so the actuator seems good (will add in the manual release mod anyway, once those parts arrive), but are there any next most common failures I'm missing if the microswitch and the actuator are both good ?

Do I just have to trace the switch wiring back one connector at a time until I find the problem ?

Could pushing the extra video cable through the rubber cable guide at the top of the door have caused this issue ?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions...

Last edited by minimaltoo on 31st Dec 2016 2:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #175577130th Dec 2016 9:23 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Was the lower tailgate open at the time of testing the switch?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #175578830th Dec 2016 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
minimaltoo

Initially, yes.

I then closed upper and lower doors and tried again, and it still didn't work.

Both upper and lower parts were open when I initially re-connected the battery - is it worth closing the upper and lower and then removing and reattaching the battery after a few minutes of zero power ?

Post #175579430th Dec 2016 9:57 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

A hard reset wouldn't cause any harm, just in case. Don't hold your breath though...

If either of the lower latches have not caught, the switch will be disabled. Check they have both latched tight

I have seen a few switch wires corrode and break inside the actual handle. Fiddly repair, but easy enough

Failing that, check continuity between the switch and connector under the pass seat

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #175579930th Dec 2016 10:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
minimaltoo

Thanks !

I hadn't worked out where the other end of the wire went so that answers my next question in advance Razz

I'll try all of the above in the morning: thanks for the info Very Happy

Post #175580030th Dec 2016 10:02 pm
minimaltoo

FIXED !

Thanks Disco_Mikey !

The issue was in the black connector block in the headliner, where a pin was misaligned and got pushed out of the connector instead of making contact, so the signal from the microswitch was getting lost:

It turns out that following the wiring logically in the daylight and not at the end of long day with a headtorch makes all the difference Razz

Post #175601731st Dec 2016 2:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >